Horseing Around

pop pop

Well this adventure starts out last Saturday (12-7-19) in search of a 2 horse trailer to pull behind a truck. We had to travel about 40 miles from where we live to Louisburg TN. to meet a lady who had a 2 horse trailer for sale. She was riding her rescued Mustang horse in the Christmas Parade being held in that town, on that day. We found the place we were supposed to meet her,(GPS thank you) and had to wait 45 minutes for her to arrive. She did and we purchased the trailer. Hooked it to my truck, and luckily, all the hookup fit my truck so we had lights and a trailer for our first born daughter to use hauling her horses. 

So we brought it back home for our son-in-law to do some work on, so the trailer would be in good traveling shape(pack wheel bearings, replace a broken spring on the rear loading ramp, and a general clean up and inspection). He is doing that today. 

Now that she has a trailer, she then decided she needs a "beater" truck to pull the trailer with.  Do  you realize how hard it is to find a good old "beater truck" capable of pulling some weight in a trailer? Well after a solid week, that followed the trailer purchase, we have looked at truck after truck after truck. Drove out over a tank of gas, let alone 5 days of traveling all over middle TN., in search of the perfect truck for her. 

We finally found it. She purchased, after my 15 year old grandson bargained unmercifully, to the point I think the guy just gave in to the price I originally offered, she purchased it. So we traveled and picked the truck up yesterday morning after he unloaded all the personnel goods he had in the truck. 

The truck is a 2008 Chevy 2500 HD single cab with an 8' wide bed, and a 6 liter fuel injected engine. The truck has a heavy duty automatic tranny and drives and shifts great. It also has power steering, and the body is great. It is a high miler, but I believe she will get a lot of use out of the truck. It was very reasonably priced so now she is in the horse hauling business.  Hoopefully she will quit using her Honda Pilot and destroying the inside of it hauling feed, tack, and hey. 

What a week we have had. At 71, I am exhausted. I was looking forward to a day of sweet rest, while finding "low gear" on my "Lazy Boy" recliner chair, she just called and asked us to come to Leapers Fork, a small community just out of Franklin TN. because she, and her hard bargaining grandson, are planning to ride horses in the Christmas Parade being held there today at 2:00 PM. 

Now I ask you, just how much can a elderly man take? I guess, after the week we have had, one more parade will not do me in. However if it does, God, Jesus and I, have the other part taken care of. L/w I'm-a-going! 

NO rest for the weary, but I love it. What a week with the first born and momma. Just happy to be able to serve....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We had a good day, yesterday, at the parade. Got to see Loretta Lynn, Kid Rock, and Chris Jansen.  All of the stars live in or near Leapers Fork where the parade was held. 

A great story. My 27 Y O grandson, who has Downs Syndrome, really likes music. He epically likes Chris Jansen's song "Buy me a boat" which was a hit country song sung by Jansen. Jansen was riding in a pontoon boat and his entourage was handing out free fishing poles. My grandson, Cody, was standing by the road when Jansen's boat came past. Cody waved to Jansen and said "Hi Chris' as the boat passed. Jansen looked down, saw Cody, and then asked Cody, "Do you want a fishing pole buddy," to which Cody replied Yes and Chris handed him a pole and told Cody, "Merry Christmas man." Cody came over to where I was standing and said, Look Pop Pop, Chris gave me this. His mother told us what had happened then Cody told me, " Chris Jansen is  my friend."

A similar thing happened with James Druary, " The Virginian"  who stared in that 70s 80's era western which played on TV. James gave Cody a bracelet with his name on it and asked ,Cody and his aunt to sit at his festival dinner table, at the Cowboy Way Festival Dinner, held after the festival in Ardmore Oklahoma a couple years ago.  Cody proclaims James Durary is his friend also. They went back to see James, last year, at the festival held then. James remembered Cody and gave him a big hug. James is 84 now and just lost his wife 5 months ago. Cody wants to go see his friend James, again this year as the Festival is being held in San Angelo Texas this year.  It is great people take time to notice and be kind to children with special needs.  

Yes, had a great day. It is always a good time seeing someone show kindness to those less fortunate. You just never know what will happen each day we live. 

Get to go Worship Our God this morning. Hoping Jesus will be pleased with our remembrance of Him (1 Corinthians 11:23-29) today.

Edited to add; Open your Bibles and read the scripture, in 1st Corinthians, yourself, if youv-a-mind-to. It will give you wisdom from above.

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1