Casting?

I've been reloading for 5 years or so and now I'm thinking about getting in to casting. The main reason is to learn how and have that skill if needed.

I've been to some websites like castboolits.com but I'm also looking for recommendations for videos or books that would help me learn.

I appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks

You said you went to CASTBOOLITS, it is about the best site to learn about casting. Here is a must read. (follow the links)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?110212-From-Ingot-to-Target-A-Cast-Bullet-Guide-for-Handgunners

I am a member there as well, same handle. I cast all I shoot, well not 22LR, but do cast 25ACP , 38-357, 308, 44 MAG, 45 COLT, and last but not least, 12GA slug, "00" buck and drop #7 shot. I have more than a few molds, most are HP.

Cast for BP as well, 32, 45, 50 and 54.

Be ready to spend money on things that will serve no purpose but to make holes in things. O yes, you have to find lead, Look up "The Captain" over on cast boolits

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Slasher said:

I've been reloading for 5 years or so and now I'm thinking about getting in to casting. The main reason is to learn how and have that skill if needed.

I've been to some websites like castboolits.com but I'm also looking for recommendations for videos or books that would help me learn.

I appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks

Hi Slasher!

I'm here in town and do a lot of casting. If you'd like to get together, I'm more than happy to show you my set up and help you get started. Just PM me if you're interested.

Ed

• Like 5

I never got into casting. At this point, I don't want to.

I have a friend who ran a cast bullet business for many years.  For years I'd collect the old wheel weights from work and trade with him for finished bullets. These days lead wheel weights are all but gone. The EPA at it again. :mad:

He's pretty much quit the business. Lead is getting hard to find and very expensive.  Lead is now considered a hazardous material and there's a whole pile of new regulations regarding use, storage and disposal. These days he only makes bullets for himself, a few close friends and long time customers. :(

On 12/14/2019 at 6:54 PM, RedlegEd said:

Hi Slasher!

I'm here in town and do a lot of casting. If you'd like to get together, I'm more than happy to show you my set up and help you get started. Just PM me if you're interested.

Ed

Can't beat that offer. You are a good man. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Quavodus said:

I've been meaning to get the rest of my stuff and start casting. I want to get a good mold first.

What's considered good? I know Lee makes a lot of casting stuff but while not necessary bad I'm not sure they would be good either. A podcast I listen to talks a lot about NOE molds but I don't know how good they are.

23 hours ago, Slasher said:

What's considered good? I know Lee makes a lot of casting stuff but while not necessary bad I'm not sure they would be good either. A podcast I listen to talks a lot about NOE molds but I don't know how good they are.

I'm probably gonna start out with the Lee first. They're aluminum but, lots of people have casted good bullets with them. The NOE's are Cadillacs from what I hear. I like the 90321, which is a double pour .358 handgun.

Edited by Quavodus

My suggestion to anyone interested in casting their lead boolits is go to Castboolit forum and read some of the stickies first, and if possible try to find someone willing to mentor you, will cut the learning curve a lot. The other suggestion is to read the stickies on the types of lube for the cast boolits. I prefer powder coating myself, but many options are available. The simplest is the Lee tumble lube method. Some times I have cast as many as 1000 + in a session for stockpiling for when can no longer physically cast. With powder coating these will last for a lifetime. Brass is cheap now and is a good time to stockpile it for future use. Casting and reloading may become the next (red flag) in our quest to keep and bear arms fight against the enemies of the 2nd amendment. When you can no longer buy ammo at the local source, and interstate shipping and rationing ( as in California, just a matter of time until that spreads across the whole USA) is in place you will be sol unless you can roll your own. 

• Like 2

I have long ago said a firearm without ammo isn't even a good club. A 2 iron or baseball bat is much more effective. Slick Willy & Al I invented the internet Gore got me into reloading and I have been casting for 15+ years. It is nice to load .38 and .40 for less than it costs to buy .22lr.

11 hours ago, owejia said:

My suggestion to anyone interested in casting their lead boolits is go to Castboolit forum and read some of the stickies first, and if possible try to find someone willing to mentor you, will cut the learning curve a lot. The other suggestion is to read the stickies on the types of lube for the cast boolits. I prefer powder coating myself, but many options are available. The simplest is the Lee tumble lube method. Some times I have cast as many as 1000 + in a session for stockpiling for when can no longer physically cast. With powder coating these will last for a lifetime. Brass is cheap now and is a good time to stockpile it for future use. Casting and reloading may become the next (red flag) in our quest to keep and bear arms fight against the enemies of the 2nd amendment. When you can no longer buy ammo at the local source, and interstate shipping and rationing ( as in California, just a matter of time until that spreads across the whole USA) is in place you will be sol unless you can roll your own. 

I'm a member on there. Its a good forum. Different screen name.

it is good to learn how to cast, you don't know what is going to happen with ammo.  it is best to find someone to show you how.  when i started in the 80's i did it all by myself.  took some time before i got it right.  all of my equipment is from the 80's.  these days they have made casting lot more easy and cheaper with the new equipment (lee).  i don't cast much now because i can buy fmj and cast bullets cheap.  zero bullet company (fmj) and others companies are cheap so there is no reason to cast.  when i do cast it is to make a run of powder coated bullets, but now i can get hi-tek coated bullets cheap.  no reason to stand behind the casting pot when bullets are cheap.  no reason to hunt lead either. 

to sume it up.  find someone to show you how it will save you time and money.