Garand for under a grand

Ok, this thread prompted me to dig mine out of the safe and take a pic. 

Yeah, I'm just showing off. :rolleyes:

tdbBwSi.jpg

TOP: 1942 Springfield Arsenal - I made a road trip to the CMP store in 2007 and picked this one out. Its a Danish return. It was classed as a field grade probably due to its really nasty stock. But the barrel and throat both gauged as service grade. As you can see, it cleaned up really well. :up:

Bottom: 1955 Harrington & Richardson - This belonged to my late friend. I have no idea where he got it. His wife knew I was a fan and offered it to me for what he paid some years earlier. I just couldn't pass that deal up. ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Quavodus said:

Do you handload .30-06? Its not really a pressure thing, its more of a powder burning rate. Slow powders like 4831 or 4350 are way to slow and could bend op rod. Powders like 4895 are just fine. I think the original M2 ammo was loaded with it.

I do, and it appears I have all the necessary ingredients at my loading bench. This includes brass, primers, 155 and 168 grain FMJ projectiles, and a still sealed pound of 4895.

• Like 2
On 12/14/2019 at 7:40 PM, Sunfish said:

That's a late one made after Korea. Has the op rod been cut on it? You know SG ammo sells ammo specific for a Garand. Its fairly reasonable.  

After some googleing, I found there were a batch of barrels in this time frame that were initially rejected due to finish issues. They were reportedly set aside, and then later used to complete later HRA rifles. It may well be “right” yet.

Either way, I’m still pleased with it.

This is my Field Grade M1 Garand that I had in a Weinig Custom Walnut Gun Stock, CMP scope mount, Simmons handgun scope, and Turner Saddlery National Match Service Rifle Sling.

I’ll be putting that stock, scope and sling on my Service Grade Garand but haven’t got around to it yet. I don't have any pictures of it yet.

cB9J5TJ.jpg

• Like 4
On 12/15/2019 at 3:02 AM, Grayfox54 said:

On the ammo, commercial .30-06 hunting ammo is a little  hot for the Garand. It can bend the operating rod. Many ammo makers do make ammo specifically for the Garand. You can also get an adjustable gas plug which will let you shoot the hunting stuff. While not s common as it once was, there's still some mil-surp ammo out there. Often already loaded in en-bloc clips. 

Speaking of clips, do you have any? If you need some PM me your address and I'll send you some. ;)

Grayfox54 is SPOT ON with his advice on the ammo and the gas plug.  Don't shoot .30-06 hunting ammo through that Garand (without the plug).  And congrats, you made a good buy.

About 5 years ago I bought a M1G  for $800.  3 years ago, took it to my gun club's "clinic" where we had about 25 guys with Garands, my Garand and 5 "experts."  So as things were just getting started, the experts took a walk-around and the guy that came over by me called over his other expert buddies and announced, "Hey guys, I think we may have something here we almost never see...….a genuine WW2 original -----all parts original rifle here"  or words to that effect.  That was a great moment!  That was back in ILLanoy.  If anyone here is a real expert on these and reasonably within driving distance of Maryville I'd be interested in your opinion.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, DaveTN said:

That would require a change in the ROE's.

Would it though? 

I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same;...

• Like 1

Friend stopped by yesterday , had attended an auction in Dresden on Sat. and won a Springfield Garand for $8oo, with some original ammo, said his son got a Mosin Nagant  scoped sniper rifle, also got some ammo in original spam cans. Around here the old guys are the only ones interested in these old rifles anymore, all the young guy like the plastic black guns. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, owejia said:

Friend stopped by yesterday , had attended an auction in Dresden on Sat. and won a Springfield Garand for $8oo, with some original ammo, said his son got a Mosin Nagant  scoped sniper rifle, also got some ammo in original spam cans. Around here the old guys are the only ones interested in these old rifles anymore, all the young guy like the plastic black guns. 

I have found that to be the case with classic pocket knives and pocket watches. I expect interest in classic firearms to dwindle as well.

If you decide to shoot surplus ammo in it do your research before you buy.  There has been a lot of corrosive surplus ammo, both US and foreign, on the market in years past and it continues to surface.  Much of it was packed in M1 clips, so would be a tempting buy.  It's not such a big deal in a bolt rifle because there's only the bore to clean properly, but in a semiauto the entire gas system is exposed to corrosive residue and must be properly cleaned.  I frequently mention this to new owners of military rifles because in my years of interest in them I've seen way too many that were beautiful on the outside but had ruined bores because corrosive surplus ammo was fired in them and they were not properly cleaned.   

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Swede said:

If you decide to shoot surplus ammo in it do your research before you buy.  There has been a lot of corrosive surplus ammo, both US and foreign, on the market in years past and it continues to surface.  Much of it was packed in M1 clips, so would be a tempting buy.  It's not such a big deal in a bolt rifle because there's only the bore to clean properly, but in a semiauto the entire gas system is exposed to corrosive residue and must be properly cleaned.  I frequently mention this to new owners of military rifles because in my years of interest in them I've seen way too many that were beautiful on the outside but had ruined bores because corrosive surplus ammo was fired in them and they were not properly cleaned.   

Good advice. I am no stranger to Millsurps or corrosive ammo, but still appreciate this. I will shoot handloads, and if I decide to shoot it much, may buy a can of PPU ammo designated for the Garand.

Thanks for all the help, guys!

I picked up some clips and a sling. Then I loaded some ammo. Today, my father (an Air Force vet), my sons and I all did something we never did before; fire a Garand. It shoots great and we had a great time.

It does not recoil near as much as I expected.

It is for sure a keeper.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

Its always cool to watch the ear to ear smile on someones face when they shoot a Garand for the first time, and every time for some. Its just a bad azz rifle.

The M1 carbines I have sure enough create a smile on anyone's face I've ever let shoot it.

• Like 2