Finally getting my HCP!

Been in TN for 2 months and today I’m finally taking the “safety course” so I can go get my HCP this week! Coming from CA where it’s impossible to get a carry permit in the county I lived in, I’m pretty excited. Any DMV recommendations in Middle TN that are less busy? I realize that’s probably a stupid question haha

Make sure you have ALL YOUR DOCUMENTS IN HAND when you go to the DMV. Else you will be making a return visit. Also your birth certificate better be an official copy, with either a visible watermark or embossed, otherwise, they will not accept it and you will be making a return visit, after you order a new one from the State in which you were born. I had to order a new one from my state of birth. 

Yep, that birth certificate thing can be a real pain. It must be a certified copy or no joy.  I had to go through that a couple of times some years ago due to me having a CDL. :mad: First time I went home and got my DD214 which DMV accepted.  Second time I went to the Health Dept in Memphis for a new certified copy several weeks early because now nobody will accept my old original birth certificate that I had used all my life. Stood in line there for 2 1/2 hours. :wall:

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1
2 hours ago, WFM said:

I live in Columbia, and they haven't had long waits when I go there. Go on Tues. Wed. or Thur.

Went there today, got there an hour early and was second in line. Was done in 10 mins! Getting my fingerprints done tomorrow morning and then I should be good to go. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Trekbike said:

Quit telling people that otherwise you;'re going spoil a good thing.     :)    

I was just kidding about that, last time I went to Columbia, I slept in the truck 2 days before they called my name.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guess I was lucky, only been to DMV twice, once to get my drivers license when we first moved and once for my carry permit a month or so later and both time I was in and out in under 15 minutes. Didn't plan a specific time or anything just went when it was convenient.

When I got mine 4 1/2 years ago I checked online the evening I finished all the requirements and it already said it had been approved and to expect the permit in 10 days to two weeks, it took less than 10 days as I recall.

On 12/18/2019 at 10:36 PM, Jeb48 said:

Guess I was lucky, only been to DMV twice, once to get my drivers license when we first moved and once for my carry permit a month or so later and both time I was in and out in under 15 minutes. Didn't plan a specific time or anything just went when it was convenient.

The one in Knox County takes an hour or more and I’m not known for my patience when it comes to waiting in line.

On 12/19/2019 at 9:30 AM, aknifemaker said:

Just got my concealed carry too. Took about three weeks after fingerprinting, Congrats!

Once my fingerprints were made, it was less than a week for me.