Does Anyone Buy Full Sized Pistols Anymore?

Moped

15 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

How topical! I watched a video on .357 Sig this morning. 

"It’s never seen the kind of popularity achieved by the .40S&W cartridge that came out four years prior."

Whaaaaat?? How can that be? :panic:

Joking aside, His comments about the psychological effects are spot on (IMO). My distrust for the 9MM and .380 doesn’t come from ballistic tests; it comes from what I have seen with my own eyes, coupled with science. Also, if someone that has never been in, or seen a shooting, is told enough that a 9mm is the best self defense round made; they may start to believe it. Even to the point where they disregard other things they know; like physics. And people that have been in shootings, and the round they used, did exactly what it was supposed to do; that’s the ultimate proof for them, what else could they possibly need. We've seen stories of well placed shots with a .45ACP failing to stop a person; there are many variables.

I never had any reason to try .357SIG. It was a high price designer round that never caught on, much like the 10mm. The only real claim I ever saw was barrier penetration, shooting through a car door or through a windshield. The downside for me was the necked case; feeding short rounds in a handgun is already an issue without throwing that in on top of it; no need to risk it. But I don't see any problem with the .357SIG being able to get the job done. 

• Like 3

My last purchase was a couple years ago. I purchased 2 MP 9C 2.0 pistols. They are a tween size, although they are called compacts. Mine has the 4" brl and holds 15 rounds. Purchased them to carry which I do in a Aherns belt slide OWB holster, and a Crossbreed IWB, with sweat shield. When IWB I always use a cover garment. I do not like open carry. Works for me. 

I still pocket carry my 38Spl/357Mag 7 shot 2" brl, revolver, always. Keep Cor Bon DPX in the revolver, and Remington Golden Saber in the M Ps. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

"It’s never seen the kind of popularity achieved by the .40S&W cartridge that came out four years prior."

Whaaaaat?? How can that be? :panic:

Joking aside, His comments about the psychological effects are spot on (IMO). My distrust for the 9MM and .380 doesn’t come from ballistic tests; it comes from what I have seen with my own eyes, coupled with science. Also, if someone that has never been in, or seen a shooting, is told enough that a 9mm is the best self defense round made; they may start to believe it. Even to the point where they disregard other things they know; like physics. And people that have been in shootings, and the round they used, did exactly what it was supposed to do; that’s the ultimate proof for them, what else could they possibly need. We've seen stories of well placed shots with a .45ACP failing to stop a person; there are many variables.

I never had any reason to try .357SIG. It was a high price designer round that never caught on, much like the 10mm. The only real claim I ever saw was barrier penetration, shooting through a car door or through a windshield. The downside for me was the necked case; feeding short rounds in a handgun is already an issue without throwing that in on top of it; no need to risk it. But I don't see any problem with the .357SIG being able to get the job done. 

Excellent post!  The only reason I never got on the 40 S&W bandwagon was, when the 40 got popular, I was still shooting on the ARCOM Rifle Team and I was getting all the rifle and pistol ammunition I wanted.  That included 9mm.  I saw no reason to add another caliber to the mix.  I resisted that idea, even after I left the Army Reserve.  It's just been recently that I added calibers other than 9mm and .45ACP to my collection.  In the last few years, I've added .32ACP, .380ACP and .38/357. 

Still don't feel the need to add .40 S&W to the mix, though, so your ammunition isn't going to dry up anytime soon, because I'm out buying loads of it. :)  

• Like 1

I had a .40 once. That was enough for me. Never again. :down:

I've never owned a .357 Sig, but a friend had one and I've shot it several times. Loud sucker ain't it! :eek:  I don't have anything against it, seems like a good round. I just never developed any real interest. Besides, I have no desire to start loading a bottle necked handgun round.  :shake:

10 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I had a .40 once. That was enough for me. Never again. :down:

I've never owned a .357 Sig, but a friend had one and I've shot it several times. Loud sucker ain't it! :eek:  I don't have anything against it, seems like a good round. I just never developed any real interest. Besides, I have no desire to start loading a bottle necked handgun round.  :shake:

I have no problems reloading them. I've always thought, what's the point of the .40? It was designed for women and effeminate men. :stir:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My last purchase was an HK45CT, but it was to go with its big brother 45 Expert. While they may have differing intended purposes, overtime I have gravitated toward more compacts with barrels around the 4" range. For me, I find them better balanced and comfortable all around shooters (when I am not trying to fit a specific purpose).

With typical pistol distances, I don't see a significant sacrifice to accuracy that is due to the average gun itself. Its more shooter discipline and training with shorter sight radius or site types. Alot of folks they are quick to equate full size with more accuracy over smaller versions before considering or adjusting for difference due to features, so it may not be an apples to apples comparison. An inch more barrel doesn't mean much on its own.

I think its fair to say "full size" are easier to shoot for most casual situations. Sight radius and reduced flip reducing your having to pay attention or being in practice. That said, for me to consider a full size now, it should have a purpose and be more geared toward competition or accuracy, otherwise it's just wasting steel.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, leroy said:

Since I've got a bit older and lazier, I've moved all my " shootin guns " over to the "large" size.... Glock 20, Glock 21, Glock 24, Large frame Ruger sheriff... Last purchase... Glock 24...  

leroy

Leroy...did I sell you that G24? Bad memory kicking in again.

55 minutes ago, leroy said:

Yeaah..!  I love it Brother..! Ya are soundin like me...

Lord I hope not. It's been bad lately. lol I've lost a couple of t-shirts I bought for my wife. Hallmark Movie t's no less. Don't have a clue where I put them.

Glad you're liking the 24. I think about it when I see all the 40 I got. lol

I always thought it a good shooter, just didn't take it out very much. So at least you are giving it a better home. 

Giving some thought to getting an mrd for the 34. Or maybe for the Canik SF. 

Hope you are doing well. I wish you a Merry Christmas. 

3 hours ago, hipower said:

Lord I hope not. It's been bad lately. lol I've lost a couple of t-shirts I bought for my wife. Hallmark Movie t's no less. Don't have a clue where I put them.

Glad you're liking the 24. I think about it when I see all the 40 I got. lol

I always thought it a good shooter, just didn't take it out very much. So at least you are giving it a better home. 

Giving some thought to getting an mrd for the 34. Or maybe for the Canik SF. 

Hope you are doing well. I wish you a Merry Christmas. 

Strugglin right along Brother..! Merry Christmas ta you and your Dear Ones...!

Full size 1911 (love this gun) then a M&P Shield 9 for easier carry.

Now I’m looking at a M&P Shield 45. I just like the 45acp over the 9mm, but want the smaller size for easier concealment  

On the 40S&W topic, my first handgun was a Kahr K40 back in ‘97 or ‘98. I still have it.  I like the caliber ok, but not enough to want to stock all three ammunition sizes. 

3 hours ago, Choatecav said:

Absolutely yes!!

My last two have been:

a) CZ 75 just cause I've always wanted one and

b) Glock 20 (10mm) for when I'm riding my horse in the wilderness.

What are ya carryin your big glock in Choat..?  Im always lookin...I've been usin a chest holster.

Thanks,

leroy...

If I've ever bought anything but full sized pistols (or revolvers) I don't remember it.  I did wind up with an old Iver Johnson .22 revolver that belonged to my dad, which incidentally I didn't know he owned until I found it while going through his closets after his passing ...