45acp nose dive

I've got a problem with my new [to me] hi cap 45. I'm hoping someone with more experience with that caliber can help out.  It's nose diving 3-4 times with each mag. I'm using 230 gr Montana Gold JHPs @ 1.225oal and 5gr solo 1000. I've only got .090 left before I run out of flat on the mouth of the case, so I can't go much shorter. Anybody got any suggestions? 

Exactly what do you mean by "nose dive"? Are the rounds hanging on the feed ramp itself?  At the junction of the feed ramp and barrel?  What make and model gun? Several possibilities here. Could be the feed ramp, the magazines, cartridge OAL or maybe the gun just doesn't like those bullets. Does it do this with any other ammo? Need more information. Pictures would help. 

• Like 1

I'm with @Grayfox54 here. More info and maybe some pics? Mags?

I've loaded many, many thousands of rounds of 45 acp FMJ and LRN at 1.230" and had no feeding issues with 1911's, Glocks and even a Star PD I had.

did run across a few 1911 magazines that were problematic but that was a rarity. I never had issues with 13 round Glock mags.

4 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Exactly what do you mean by "nose dive"? Are the rounds hanging on the feed ramp itself?  At the junction of the feed ramp and barrel?  What make and model gun? Several possibilities here. Could be the feed ramp, the magazines, cartridge OAL or maybe the gun just doesn't like those bullets. Does it do this with any other ammo? Need more information. Pictures would help. 

The gun is an unfired Para LDA limited 2011 in stainless.. The rounda are hanging on the feed ramp, almost straight on out of the mag [14 rounds]. The only ammo I have loaded is the Montana gold stuff.

OK! The mag that apparently was giving me trouble was an original Para mag from Canada. It had an opening of .435 at the lips. I tried a couple of other mags today. Both were Meggar and neither gave me a hick-up in cycling[.410 ] What now?.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
33 minutes ago, Ray Z said:

OK! The mag that apparently was giving me trouble was an original Para mag from Canada. It had an opening of .435 at the lips. I tried a couple of other mags today. Both were Meggar and neither gave me a hick-up in cycling[.410 ] What now?.

Toss the para mag and move on. Mags are a consumable wear item and when they become no longer reliable, chuck em or use them for failure practice at the range. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Ray Z said:

Believe you can adjust the opening by bending the lip, or return the mag for a properly adjusted mag.