FAL built exactly how I want it....Franken style!

I wanted a QD rail that could take a pounding with heavy optic if need be so I built this to my own spec. This is on a early CIA thumb hole Imbel that I picked up off GB. Now, its reconfigured the way I want it!
The blank and the starter.....
 IeHibzgl.jpg
zero tolerance recoil plate
bU5f6x3l.jpg
a cap to be welded over the stud extension yet.
Dh5obhYl.jpg
All friction fit
TrmWxbtl.jpg
The rear sight peep slide will be mod-ed into rear lock down latch over the 2 extensions.
qMf9Ha7l.jpg
oa8UT41l.jpg
Good thing the bolt cover top radius is exactly a 1/2" ball nose cut under the base.
 I guess this is one of those challenges that I had to sink my imagination into.
bbQdvh9l.jpg
R7Jp7nrl.jpg
03pfT5zl.jpg
dUFJxiel.jpg
9xFiNOzl.jpg
t8mWgtvl.jpg
w8azBb0l.jpg
zKAgpSWl.jpg
qWvW4J7l.jpg
 That's the rear base in the raw. now the front hand guard is Israeli Light Rifle with a custom fabed accessory rail I cobbed out of a cheap China AR handguard.
8VETRuCl.jpg
The gas tube rings are made from aluminum bar stock & milled to fit the hollow channel under the rail. Also, I fit a steel front end to recoil up against the steel vented hand guard.
q3jtvBAl.jpg
n5l8koFl.jpg

Now for the finished unit with a fabed up L1A1 flip up peep made to fit the rail that is windage adjustable.
qnnxk6Ll.jpg
oKkVvu1l.jpg
aWxtUS1l.jpg
Rear base lock in open position.
fSWi1Vyl.jpg
Locked up rock solid...
VSuxg4dl.jpg
I wanted a flip out handle that could be popped out with the flick of a finger or edge of the hand so I welded the handle locking edge out quite a bit more so it sticks out just enough to get at easy but still lives nicely in an over stuffed safe.
b5eeZdAl.jpg
The scope base/cover slides off & on the receiver to perfect zero no matter what. The Century Imbel Franken is exactly what I want built over a first gen DSA Alloy lower. Now it can keep my SAR48 company!
v2CfV14l.jpg

• Like 9
  • Wow 1

Thanks for all the comments. I'm not really a machinist, machinist. I had machining classes in Gunsmith school that was on all manual milling & lathe. No DROS or CNC stuff for me. Just simple math off a caliper. I have to say the Grizzly bench top miller I bought about 12 years ago is like my 110v mig welder. I couldn't live with out them! My 29 year old Grizzly lathe is getting long in the tooth tho.... Maybe a new one is in order when I get SS checks in a few years. :) 

19 hours ago, Erich said:

Some mad skills.  I am sure your SAR48 is now pretty much second class with that uber optic setup on frankenFL. I would be more than happy to give that poor SAR a home so it does not feel neglected.

IDK about that, I rigged the SAR for glass back in about 1986. One time it shot my Sierra 168 BTHP off max loads of W748 into a 10 rd 5/8ths hole @ 100 yds. Normally a flyer or 2 called out a 1.5" 10 string.  My rear mount M2 bipod was a success. Back in 86 scope options sucked so I did the next best thing....

h09fjq1l.jpg

OLgTTz6l.jpg

Y9Wt6Ubl.jpg

THANKS for all the comments!

• Like 1
18 hours ago, JT59 said:

You should post this on the FAL files, they would find it interesting.

It would be polarizing. Folks appreciating the execution and work vs having a coronary about seeing an Imbel with holes drilled in it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
23 hours ago, xtriggerman said:

IDK about that, I rigged the SAR for glass back in about 1986. One time it shot my Sierra 168 BTHP off max loads of W748 into a 10 rd 5/8ths hole @ 100 yds. Normally a flyer or 2 called out a 1.5" 10 string.  My rear mount M2 bipod was a success. Back in 86 scope options sucked so I did the next best thing....

Ok, now you're just showing off. Once you get a shooter like that, you'd never want to get rid of it.

I remember when CDNN was liquidating the SAR's...looks like the buyers showed just how smart they were about appreciating those gems.

8 hours ago, Erich said:

It would be polarizing. Folks appreciating the execution and work vs having a coronary about seeing an Imbel with holes drilled in it.

Yeah, your probably right! Dealer on that gun was $789.00 when I ordered it. It wasn't perfect either. The thing was throwing fliers no matter what I put in it. Then one day when cleaning it carefully, I noticed the cleaning rod had ever so slight a bind just before a snug swab popped out of the bore.  Apparently they crushed the bore when they treaded the muzzle. So I cut that off and put on that contraption you see there. When I used to work at Auto Ordnance, Numrich Arms had a steel scrap barrel in front of one of their parts ware houses right next to AO. I would go at that barrel lunch time and find all sorts of broken gun parts and various bent barrels.... goodies. One day a M14 muzzle brake was laying in the dirt not far from the barrel. The spline end was broken off. That's what you see on the SAR. I turned the broken end to fit into the original base end, then silver soldered it in there. Thing is I never opened up the gas port despite cutting about 3/4" off so I run it with the gas port shut so it would eject. I should drill it out since once in a while I get a fail to eject but it shoots so dang well, I'm afraid to touch it now. Murphy may pay me a visit..... prick that he is.