When was your last Non Buyers Remorse?

Erich

Mine was a few hours ago. Working thru the rationalization still. I did not buy an original select fire rifle that was NIB.

I agonized for for nearly 2 hours over buying or not buying. Price was actually pretty reasonable, though not inexpensive. The last 10 minutes on GB, entered my bid in the box...and no less than 6 times hovered on the bid button. Held back each time by all the reasons I concocted not to.  

Now I'm rationalizing the non practical aspects and that it was not the actual military version I really would want.  Countered with I'll never see one NIB again,  made more rare by only 450 having been original select fire guns. The military variant aspect is offset by knowing it would be quite a bit more, which makes its eventual selling price seem like a deal in today's market.    

At the moment, the remorse over not getting something of a rarity is overwhelming the relief of not spending such a big nut a single gun that I know would not get run full auto much. The seller has my contact info, I asked him to let me know if the buyer does not follow up, though I know that wont probably happen.

Hope your regrets pass quickly. Or better yet, you avoid them all together!

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

You can't come up in here with a story like that and not tell us what gun it was.   

It makes it more real to say out loud.

But, a pic they say is worth a thousand words. I have a couple 'real' cut receivers with the go fast switch...and maybe one day if its meant to be it'll be complete like this one....

rec1.jpg

This one that has always stuck in my mind. Back in the early 90s I walked into a gun show and one of the first things I spotted was a very scarce S&W Model 36-6 target model. This is a J-frame .38 with a 3" full lug barrel and adjustable sights. Not many were made. I almost snatched it up right then. But then decided to check out the rest of the show first. Of course when I came back by it was gone. :wall:

However since then I have acquired a model 60-4. Same gun in stainless and my favorite hiking companion. ;)

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, alleycat72 said:

I've always regretted not buying as many machine guns as I could years ago. I've never had one and now they are so expensive it's hard to justify the $$

Until they banned bump stocks I can say you weren't really missing out on anything...I had a Lage upper'ed M11/9....yes it was a lot of fun but having that money back in my account when I sold it was better....and when bump stocks were legal the 9mm upper'd AR I had did the same thing at 1/10th the price.....course im sure those echo triggers will get you a similar experience.

5 hours ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

Until they banned bump stocks I can say you weren't really missing out on anything...I had a Lage upper'ed M11/9....yes it was a lot of fun but having that money back in my account when I sold it was better....and when bump stocks were legal the 9mm upper'd AR I had did the same thing at 1/10th the price.....course im sure those echo triggers will get you a similar experience.

It would have been nice to get 5 or 6 m16s for 8k when I thought 8k was a ton of money. The same gun run 25k+ now.

Reminiscing is tough. I think the thing gets me about current things we pass on, is asking if we learned anything from regrets of the past.

Some of these things in the past seemed common and inexpensive, making them less of a bad decision in the moment. Time changed that. Its those things we know at the time, I'm going to regret this if I don't do it.

With looking back, 2 things always come to mind.

The main west coast surplus dealer of M1 carbines had a retail storefront in my town thru the 80's.  He kept three 55 gallon barrels full of M1 carbines, with most being in pretty nice shape. Several times I went in during lunch and picked thru and set 1 or 2 to the side intending to come back when they went on sale for $79. I just didnt want to spend the full $89 to $99 for one of them and they went on sale often enough. But never made it a priority when the day would come.  20 year old me just thought they'd be around forever since they had them in the thousands.

Today I dont have a real excuse other than it wasnt cheap. But unless they get banned, no way it would go down in value. 30+ years later I guess I have not learned much.

10 years ago.  I wanted a Mosin Nagant.  Had a buddy who had his FFL and would get me whatever I wanted at his cost.  I call him up and he says that his cost is $70.  I'm thinking that's really cheap, so I ask him, as he is my go to gun guy, if maybe I shouldn't just buy a crate of them and stash them away.  He tells me not to waste my time because there are more Mosin Nagants out there than people could ever want and they will never be worth anything.  I wound up with two of them, because a buddy wanted one, but failed to get spousal permission before ordering.  I paid $270 for two rifles 440 rounds of ammo, and the background check.  Sold one of the rifles about a year ago for $325.  Really wish that I had bought the crate.  Honestly, I don't see the appeal of a $300 Mosin Nagant.  There are so many good rifles on the market in that price range that the Mosin has lost its appeal to me.  If they were $70 today I would have one stashed in every hiddy hole that I could think of. 

Edited by 10-Ring
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, alleycat72 said:

It would have been nice to get 5 or 6 m16s for 8k when I thought 8k was a ton of money. The same gun run 25k+ now.

Oh theres so many other things you could have invested in that would have gave you a much larger return between the 80's and now.....investing in guns is well....there are much better options...plus lets face it...when they went up to $10,000 you probably would have said woah $2000 profit (remember we are talking late 80's money) and sold them then ;-D

3 hours ago, 10-Ring said:

10 years ago.  I wanted a Mosin Nagant.  Had a buddy who had his FFL and would get me whatever I wanted at his cost.  I call him up and he says that his cost is $70.  I'm thinking that's really cheap, so I ask him, as he is my go to gun guy, if maybe I shouldn't just buy a crate of them and stash them away.  He tells me not to waste my time because there are more Mosin Nagants out there than people could ever want and they will never be worth anything.  I wound up with two of them, because a buddy wanted one, but failed to get spousal permission before ordering.  I paid $270 for two rifles 440 rounds of ammo, and the background check.  Sold one of the rifles about a year ago for $325.  Really wish that I had bought the crate.  Honestly, I don't see the appeal of a $300 Mosin Nagant.  There are so many good rifles on the market in that price range that the Mosin has lost its appeal to me.  If they were $70 today I would have one stashed in every hiddy hole that I could think of. 

I whole heartedly agree...nothing has consistently appreciated better that was readily attainable then them dang Mosins...I got one and everytime im like you im like...why in the world would you pay $300 for this when there are so many better guns available.

4 hours ago, 10-Ring said:

Similar situation with the SKS's and the dirt cheap price they were back in the 80's.  Wish I would have picked up a Russian version at the time.    Ended up finally  buying a Yugo version about 12 years ago.    

On 12/20/2019 at 1:03 PM, alleycat72 said:

I've always regretted not buying as many machine guns as I could years ago. I've never had one and now they are so expensive it's hard to justify the $$

I got into MG's in 09, when I bought my second one in 11, I was offered a M60E4 for 29k and I passed, I had the $$ and I really wanted it but I just couldn't do it, that was a 31k mistake.

• Wow 1
On 12/20/2019 at 1:20 PM, Magiccarpetrides said:

I still think MGs are a worthy investment, and you can have fun with them in the meantime. There is the risk that they may someday outright ban them, making them essentially worthless, but they have a rock solid track record. 

I've fired the bump stock and most of the other devices to make a semi-auto shoot faster, still nowhere near the same as a true MG. 

I remembered another one. The remorse didn't kick in until some years later when I learned what I had actually passed up. . 

Again many years ago at a gun show, I ran across a NIB S&W Model 520. That's a 4" N-frame .357 without adjustable sights. Just the plain old grooved top strap common on many fixed sighted K-frames. I came very close to buying it. Price wasn't too bad, but I decided that I'd prefer adjustable sights and passed.

Turns out that these were special ordered by the New York State Police in 1980. Only 3000 were made. However NYSP canceled the order just before delivery. Word is that they decided to go with the then new L-frame .357. S&W then sold them to their regular distributors for civilian sales. This is the only fixed sighted N-frame .357 that S&W ever made and are now highly desirable collectors items worth lots of money. 

If I had only known then what I know now. :wall:

5 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

If I had only known then what I know now. :wall:

Amen, brother. I've walked away from Vulcan 22 pumps, JB lever guns, even a complete Dan Wesson kit at reasonable to unbelievable prices. And then turned and bought Desert Eagles. lol

But my worst mistake was in the early 80s. I was walking the old Goodman Show(when it actually was a good show) with my wife, and ran across a literal table full of Smith revolvers,

We looked at a few and talked with the seller. He pointed to a 3 piece deal on his table...all SS guns. 2", 4", and 6" 44 mags. Prelocks. Boxes and everything. He was desperate to make a sale because of a slow show.

Offered me all 3 for 1000 dollars!! I stood there with them. Literally sweating like a stage actor in a flop-sweat. Wife was telling me to buy them...we'd be ok.  Do it, go on, do it.

I didn't. I walked away.

I had the money in my pocket, but had just been laid off and was scared to buy them. I walked away. I want to kick my butt every time I think about it.

• Wow 1
On 12/22/2019 at 12:54 AM, m16ty said:

I still think MGs are a worthy investment, and you can have fun with them in the meantime. There is the risk that they may someday outright ban them, making them essentially worthless, but they have a rock solid track record. 

I've fired the bump stock and most of the other devices to make a semi-auto shoot faster, still nowhere near the same as a true MG. 

Depends on the setup and the bump stock....or the skill of the user as the reason they were banned showed....my AR9 setup was rock solid controllable I had one of the aluminum ones not that flimsy plastic crap...I could drop 3 and 5rd bursts like it was nothing...ahhh the good ol days.  Thanks Trump.

Edited by Magiccarpetrides
trump