I love living in the country!

E4 No More

I'm sitting in my home office on the 2nd floor and watching three big does cross the rather large front yard of my neighbor across the street. They stopped at the tree line and looked back, so I scanned the left tree line with my binoculars to see a good sized buck with not all that many points on it. I think it was 6. He was pretty indecisive as to whether or not he wanted to cross that open yard to follow the does. Eventually, he turned and went back into the woods. I see lots of does around my house but never a buck. Now I see why.

I'm not a hunter although I don't fault those that do.聽I appreciate the beauty of the animals that I see out here pretty regularly. I'm so glad that we moved out of Lavergne and into the county.聽

• Like 7

I couldn't agree more.聽 I moved to my new place in May and couldn't be happier.聽 More work to do, but I enjoy it.聽 The fact that I can hunt on my own land if I want to is a big plus.聽 I even like mowing so my only downside is the 25 min drive to Lowes/Home Depot when I need things.聽 I can live with that.

• Like 4
45 minutes ago, No_0ne said:

If you can see your neighbors' houses, or if the road in front of your house is called a "street", you didn't move far enough ...馃榾

Unfortunately, I still require a descent Internet connection to do my work. I'm far enough away from the nearest cell tower that I must聽have two directional antennae mounted on my roof to get a halfway descent signal.聽

We hope to get further out when we find what we're looking for. We're luck enough with the little bits of remaining forest we have around us, we get deer thru here a lot more than I expected. Caught this guy a couple months back having a snack across the street.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, E4 No More said:

Unfortunately, I still require a descent Internet connection to do my work.聽

This issue was my biggest challenge when I lived far from town. Everything else was great, but slow DSL was all we could get. I used to enjoy the sound of gunfire from surrounding properties because it sounded like freedom!

24 minutes ago, 1796 said:

This issue was my biggest challenge when I lived far from town. Everything else was great, but slow DSL was all we could get. I used to enjoy the sound of gunfire from surrounding properties because it sounded like freedom!

I get greater throughput than typical DSL. The problem is when it rains hard or we have a low overcast the throughput drops dramatically. If it goes out like it did a couple of weeks ago then I have to drive an hour into the office. :(

We live 8 miles from town and in an isolated area by sight. I just completed my back yard shooting range and so far, my neighbors have not complained with my shooting. I am considerate and do not fire before 8 in the morning and late in the afternoon. I have no restrictions on my property but do join fences with a subdivision with several restrictions.

We have around 3 acres of land including my big front and back yard.聽 We have been her since 1984 and see no reason to move. We are empty nester and have 5 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms, but just don't want to downsize.聽 May be forced too in the future but not now.

Country living is for us.聽

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, pop pop said:

We live 8 miles from town and in an isolated area by sight. I just completed my back yard shooting range and so far, my neighbors have not complained with my shooting. I am considerate and do not fire before 8 in the morning and late in the afternoon. I have no restrictions on my property but do join fences with a subdivision with several restrictions.

We have around 3 acres of land including my big front and back yard.聽 We have been her since 1984 and see no reason to move. We are empty nester and have 5 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms, but just don't want to downsize.聽 May be forced too in the future but not now.

Country living is for us.聽

Yes, I don't live too far from you on 5.2 acres. :)

• Moderators
19 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Keep it to yourself, guys! If you don鈥檛, everybody will be wanting to move out here.

That reminds me. For any Yankees in the audience considering a move, East Tennessee is a wonderful place to live. Don鈥檛 even bother looking at West Tennessee. It鈥檚 terrible. There鈥檚 nothing to recommend it. You wouldn鈥檛 want to live there. 馃槵馃槆

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
5 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

That reminds me. For any Yankees in the audience considering a move, East Tennessee is a wonderful place to live. Don鈥檛 even bother looking at West Tennessee. It鈥檚 terrible. There鈥檚 nothing to recommend it. You would t want to live there. 馃槵馃槆

East Tennessee is full. 聽

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

That reminds me. For any Yankees in the audience considering a move, East Tennessee is a wonderful place to live. Don鈥檛 even bother looking at West Tennessee. It鈥檚 terrible. There鈥檚 nothing to recommend it. You would t want to live there. 馃槵馃槆

Yeah come on to east tn. One thing about that though,聽 those people you thought you were moving away from...yeah they are already here and you'll be buying your property from them now. Good luck lmao !!!

• Haha 2
8 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

Yeah come on to east tn. One thing about that though,聽 those people you thought you were moving away from...yeah they are already here and you'll be buying your property from them now. Good luck lmao !!!

I threw a laugh at that but it鈥檚 the sad reality. 聽Local folks are finding it harder to get a little something better without going into mortgage until death.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I threw a laugh at that but it鈥檚 the sad reality. 聽Local folks are finding it harder to get a little something better without going into mortgage until death.

In the last year I saw a large chunk of property locally sell twice. First buyer got lucky and found someone that didn't know what they had. The new owner then spruced it up,hacked it up, and made an additional 300k PROFIT. The country is slowing sinking into the city :(

17 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Not according to every damn yankee that鈥檚 joined the board in the last 5 years. 馃槵

Hey now.....

Just think what they (we?) have done for your property values. If its any consolation, its just as painful to us.

I think you should be suspicious of anyone who lives in Nashville. If you want to be in the big city, you might really be one of them, they just havent found the pods yet. 馃槈

How nice would it be if their was criteria. Such as prior Southern state residence and family being a requisite. And should have political motivation, not just financial. One can dream.

For many years my dream was to move out into the country. As a kid I spent a great deal of time on my grand parent's farms and loved it out there.聽聽But now I'm getting old, I'm single and my house is paid for. While my overall heath is pretty good, I do have a few issues that say I should stay fairly close to my many doctors. So i guess I'll just stay where I am until I die.聽

• Like 1
  • Moderators
28 minutes ago, Erich said:

Hey now.....

Just think what they (we?) have done for your property values. If its any consolation, its just as painful to us.

I think you should be suspicious of anyone who lives in Nashville. If you want to be in the big city, you might really be one of them, they just havent found the pods yet. 馃槈

How nice would it be if their was criteria. Such as prior Southern state residence and family being a requisite. And should have political motivation, not just financial. One can dream.

Y鈥檃ll haven鈥檛 screwed up my property values, I live in West TN. 馃槈

• Haha 1
23 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Y鈥檃ll haven鈥檛 screwed up my property values, I live in West TN. 馃槈

Now see, you shouldnt let folks know that...or they will come!

I thought it was inflated everywhere, but now I know where to look given Knoxville's outskirts are getting slammed. Don't worry, I'll fix it yet. 馃榿

FWIW, I have not contributed to the artificial inflation. I refuse to pay current scalping prices. Problem was it took me 3 years of non stop working on the wife to get her to agree to move from liberal central and it was to late to beat the insanity. So we are renting waiting for a good correction. Hate burning a pile of money every month.

Sounds like we all want to see that day come soon!

Edited by Erich
  • Like 1

I've pretty much have lived in the suburbs all of my life. I've always desired to live in the country on enough property to do whatever that I wanted. 5.2 acres isn't much, and Rutherford County seems to like to stick to all of their residents, (like a $100 building permit to put聽a prefabricated shed that's bigger than 120 sqft), but living out here makes me happy.