this year has been very awesome!

ironsniper1

for both the country and myself, over the last two months i have been working on my credit rating and getting things paid off and my rating has gone from poor to very good in just a couple of months and i also got an email about a class action law suit against the department of education and how they have been handling (i cant remember the name so i apologize with how i describe it) loan forgiveness thing when it comes to for profit schools that get shut down for fraud etc

well my credit report recently updated and i noticed all of my federal loans dont show up on my report any more and the student loans that do all say paid, closed and with my huge increase https://imgur.com/7eftl6T as of today i can only assume that all of my federal loans have been forgiven

i know a lot of people wont like that and believe me i was planning to try and get them paid off/settled but this takes a huge burden off my chest and has up lifted my spirits a huge amount and i am  just glad to be on the road to recovery (credit wise) and finally start the life i have been wanting to start for a long time!

i know this was long winded but i had to share!

take care everyone and be safe in this weather and a VERY Merry Christmas to you all!

• Like 6

Congratulations! Education cost are a huge burden on our countries younger people. I'm happy for you. 

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. My credit rating has dropped a bit because I don't owe anybody any money.  Makes no sense, but that's the way it works.  :confused:

• Like 3
13 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Hold on! What goes up must come down.

I've stepped in gradually, starting with an amount of money that isn't going to be life altering if I lose it.  I spend quite a bit of time studying.  I find it enjoyable to do homework, develop a theory as to why a strategy will work, and then seeing it play out.  Selling off some stuff Monday that has been pretty stagnant to buy up some stuff that has been seeing good growth over the past week, month, and year.  Right now Alibaba, Yeti, Crispr, and possibly Verizon, are stocks that are looking good to me.  

• Like 1
  • Moderators

Regarding stocks, does anyone use Robinhood? Sign up using this link and you'll get a free stock, as will I.

A bit of shameless self promotion, sure. But I enjoy using them because they is no selling/buying fees. You can buy a single stock of Ford and not have to shell out ~$5.00 to make the trade.

They make their money by selling a monthly subscription service. To be completely transparent, I've been using Robinhood for years without issue. It isn't the most advanced platform out there, but suffices to me perfectly for simply buying, holding, and then later selling.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Christmas presents can come in all kinds of ways.  Glad for you.  Head down and keep pulling toward that debt free thing.   Getting yourself out of debt is a powerful thing.  Can change the way you look at a lot of things.  Power on to that goal.

Morgan88

• Like 1
On 12/21/2019 at 9:47 AM, gregintenn said:

I buy mutual funds, mostly index funds.

Ditto.  Sexy it ain't, but the returns averaged out from solid mutual funds don't lie.  I'm more in the growth and capital funds as a percentage compared to index funds, but that's just where my risk tolerance is at the moment.  At 57 or even 47, it'll be much different than it is now for me at 37. 

While this year, and quite honestly, the last nine to ten have been a great run...we kind of actually need a big enough dip for general health.  When Warren Buffett is sitting on over $120 billion in cash because he doesn't see any value buying opportunities, the market is a bit too bloated for its own good. 

• Like 3
On 12/30/2019 at 8:20 AM, Morgan88 said:

Christmas presents can come in all kinds of ways.  Glad for you.  Head down and keep pulling toward that debt free thing.   Getting yourself out of debt is a powerful thing.  Can change the way you look at a lot of things.  Power on to that goal.

Morgan88

oh believe me i am, only debt left is my car and its only about 40k

• Wow 2
On 1/5/2020 at 5:54 AM, luke9511 said:

oh believe me i am, only debt left is my car and its only about 40k

Only?

Wow!

We have 5 vehicles, and altogether they wouldn’t be worth $40k. Heck, I could add my boat, 4 wheeler, and my son’s street bike and still don’t get up to 40k.

That’s quite a sum to have tied up in a depreciating asset.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Only?

Wow!

We have 5 vehicles, and altogether they wouldn’t be worth $40k. Heck, I could add my boat, 4 wheeler, and my son’s street bike and still don’t get up to 40k.

That’s quite a sum to have tied up in a depreciating asset.

You're really missing out on that BMW you always wanted. They are offering 84 month car loans now...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1