Reloading in the shed

So my indoor reloading location isn't ready yet, it's going to be a while. My Daughter's only a freshman in HS, so at least a couple years before she moves out.  :D

We have a shed outside, with a sturdy workbench I could mount my press to permanently (Rockchucker single stage). 

If I kept the powder, primers, etc. indoors, and left the brass, bullets, dies, etc. outside (in a sealed container), would that be a suitable reloading location? 

I realize it's not ideal, but right now the press is attached to a board I clamp to the kitchen table.... and hardly ever do so as a result. I'm just wondering what negative effects the temperature fluctuations and humidity might have? The shed is vented to outside air, so will equalize with the ambient conditions. Would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Thanks.

Powder and primers are the only things I would be concered about. Keep them dry in the house and go for it. 

Corrosion on your press might be a bigger potential problem but is easily resolved with a bit of light oil, or something like boeshield.

Remember if you're out there in cold weather to use common sense with heaters etc.

Good luck!

If there is power in shed or could be added, why not add a little insulation and make a he-shed. Add an electric heater mounted in a safe spot and you're all set. I would think a sealed box with some desiccant bags and you could even leave the powder out there.

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

Trying to avoid insulating and heating it, LOL!
I do have electric out there, so in a pinch I could throw a heater (on the OTHER side of the shed) to take the chill off. Mounting the press to a board was my answer to the portable thing... But I just don't do it (takes 20 minutes to set the thing up, wife complains about the kitchen table, 15 minutes to break it down... I get 12 rounds made in an hour, LOL!) If I had it setup somewhere semi-permanent, I'd size and clean a bunch of brass in a bucket, then prime and load as time allows... or so the theory goes!

Thanks again!

-K

4 minutes ago, ReeferMac said:

Thanks guys!

Trying to avoid insulating and heating it, LOL!
I do have electric out there, so in a pinch I could throw a heater (on the OTHER side of the shed) to take the chill off. Mounting the press to a board was my answer to the portable thing... But I just don't do it (takes 20 minutes to set the thing up, wife complains about the kitchen table, 15 minutes to break it down... I get 12 rounds made in an hour, LOL!) If I had it setup somewhere semi-permanent, I'd size and clean a bunch of brass in a bucket, then prime and load as time allows... or so the theory goes!

Thanks again!

-K

A small ceramic heater will keep it comfortable in there without insulating.

• Like 1

You might want to send Dirtshooter a PM after the holidays and ask him about how well he does with reloading in a shed. We chat a lot and he has been reloading out in his shed for years. He would know all the pros and cons about using a shed for reloading. Just an idea.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Sidecarist said:

Powder and primers are the only things I would be concered about. Keep them dry in the house and go for it. 

Corrosion on your press might be a bigger potential problem but is easily resolved with a bit of light oil, or something like boeshield.

Remember if you're out there in cold weather to use common sense with heaters etc.

Good luck!

Yep!

Might consider this to mount the press, I have 2 LEE single stage presses mounted to it, easy to move, and it does break down to some extent for storage.  Could store it in a corner somewhere.  It fits thru a interior doorway w/o breaking it down, fairly stable as well.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012719865?pid=629993

I would avoid the "shed" as much as possible, it'll be hot or cold the majority of the time.  

• Like 1

I've loaded zillions of rounds over the years in a storage building in the back yard.  I keep all components out there.  As long as it's waterproof, you should be fine.  It's not wired, but I run lights and a small ceramic heater (when it's cold) and a big fan (when it's hot), all by extension cord.  I reload more after dark in hot weather and more during the day during cold weather.  A wired building...maybe someday.  

• Like 1

I’ve been reloading since 91.First in an out building and now in an old shotgun shack my great grandfather built in the mid 50s.Neither were climate controlled except a space heater or fan depending on what time of year it was.I have always kept my powder and primers there and never had a problem.

when i first started in 73 i was reloading on the side porch of the house.  then in the 80's i moved into the garage.  later i went in side to a empty bedroom.  then since the 90's i been in the basement of three different houses.  never had any problems no matter where i had my reloading setup.  just keep your equipment cleaned/oiled.  keep your powder/primers in a army ammo can.   you can over think reloading, keep it simple works best. 

• Like 1