The future of reloading

5 hours ago, gregintenn said:

David Mosley used to set up at gun shows. He'd have barrels of 223 bullets and brass, and anything reloading you could think of. Haven't seen him in several years.

He was actually at the Lebanon show last weekend. Told him I was surprised o see him there.  He told me he doesn't do hardly any shows in Middle TN anymore.

He also told me he would be at the Knoxville show this coming weekend.

Edited by Verne
2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Reloading 9mm does not make sense, since it is so cheap and plentiful. That is unless you desire a specialized load that isn't readily available.

Where reloading comes into it's own with me is with oddball calibers and non standard loadings.

I can buy 9mm as cheaply as I can load it. If it goes bang, it's good.

I can save a LOT of money loading 41 Magnum, 257 Roberts, and 218 Bee for example.

I can also recreate the old 38/44 loads not available for purchase today. I can load walnut hull media for shooting carpenter bees. I can do all manner of experimentation not available in commercial offerings, such as a 110 grain powder puff load for a 30-30.

Reloading has it's place, and isn't for everyone.

I do believe you are correct that fewer and fewer people are doing it.

I agree. 9mm I buy 458 socom I reload.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Verne said:

He was actually at the Lebanon show last weekend. Told him I was surprised o see him there.  He told me he doesn't do hardly any shows in Middle TN anymore.

He also told me he would be at the Knoxville show this coming weekend.

Glad to hear he’s still kicking.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, SHARPPOINT said:

I'm loading 9mm lead for $3.80 a box... Montana Gold for $7.00 a box... Could you please tell me where 

you all are buying 9mm's cheaper than you can reload them?

If you don't shoot often then maybe it's not worth your time, maybe??

Thanks

If one measures his time by how much he can earn, you cannot reload 9mm cheaper than you can buy it....even at minimum wage.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SHARPPOINT said:

I'm loading 9mm lead for $3.80 a box... Montana Gold for $7.00 a box... Could you please tell me where 

you all are buying 9mm's cheaper than you can reload them?

If you don't shoot often then maybe it's not worth your time, maybe??

Thanks

I handload as well and it's definitely worth the time to me.

I don't cast but probably should. (A group of us used to but that seems to be on a protracted hiatus...sadly.)

But I enjoy handloading and load development.  And if your are primarily shooting revolvers (as I have the past 8-9 months) handloading is definitely cost effective. I've put at least 1500 rounds through the LCR .38 I purchased on TGO last April. I couldn't afford to do that otherwise.

I generally purchase bulk plated or jacketed 9mm, .380 and .38 bullets during Black Friday sales and that keeps my price per round at around $0.12 - $0.13 each. 

• Like 2
  • Moderators
53 minutes ago, Jamie Jackson said:

I handload as well and it's definitely worth the time to me.

I don't cast but probably should. (A group of us used to but that seems to be on a protracted hiatus...sadly.)

But I enjoy handloading and load development.  And if your are primarily shooting revolvers (as I have the past 8-9 months) handloading is definitely cost effective. I've put at least 1500 rounds through the LCR .38 I purchased on TGO last April. I couldn't afford to do that otherwise.

I generally purchase bulk plated or jacketed 9mm, .380 and .38 bullets during Black Friday sales and that keeps my price per round at around $0.12 - $0.13 each. 

Plus you have to stay in practice so you can come help me set up my stuff very soon.  😎

• Like 1
On 12/25/2019 at 11:53 AM, DaveTN said:

Just my opinion, but I think its just that its lost its popularity. Of course, the cost argument continues, but when I looked at it, it wasn’t much (if any) of a cost saving option. The quality and repeatability argument doesn't make much sense to me either, modern manufacturing techniques and inspection can produce ammunition far more consistent than in the past..

There are people doing everything they can to increase the manufacturing costs of ammo. They will do the same to reloaders supplies. I think it will always be available. But like many things, you won’t be able to run down to your local store and stock up; you will have to order.

Reloading is freedom, plain and simple. When the ragin' commies get whipped into one of their frenzies, you can keep shooting all your guns even though ammo supplies have dried up. And, you can afford to shoot all the 45 caliber stuff. .458 SOCOM was $3/ round when I got into it. I can shoot it for a little over $1 without casting. I'm like Greg. I don't reload 9mm.

Doesn't work for 22LR, obviously. 

13 hours ago, gregintenn said:

If one measures his time by how much he can earn, you cannot reload 9mm cheaper than you can buy it....even at minimum wage.

Do you count your time while doing something you enjoy? I shoot 90 rounds of .45 ACP every Wednesday morning weather permitting and if I had to buy two boxes every week, i couldn't afford to do it. Loading my own, I have $40.00 in the components.

Bill

The work of casting, powder coating and loading my own personalized loads is a lot cheaper and more enjoyable than spending my money on factory loads which may or may not perform to my satisfaction. When the radical lefties get control of congress and put a "red flag" sin tax { remember cigarettes} on factory ammo shooting will get really expensive. Besides I just consider it a vital part of knowing how to survive, which will not be easy if shtf .

• Like 2
2 hours ago, BCR#1 said:

Do you count your time while doing something you enjoy? I shoot 90 rounds of .45 ACP every Wednesday morning weather permitting and if I had to buy two boxes every week, i couldn't afford to do it. Loading my own, I have $40.00 in the components.

Bill

45 ACP is a whole other animal. I reload 45ACP. I DON'T reload 9mm

25 minutes ago, owejia said:

When the radical lefties get control of congress and put a "red flag" sin tax { remember cigarettes} on factory ammo shooting will get really expensive. 

I don’t disagree that the Democrats will do anything and everything they can do to impact the availability of weapons and ammunition. Cigarettes (and gas, liquor, and now drugs) are not a Constitutionally protected right. Arms are supposed to be. If the SCOTUS ever rules that to be true; they won’t be able to mess with ammunition.

For over 40 years I have been hearing how ammunition was going to get too expensive. But every year it gets more affordable.

2 hours ago, BCR#1 said:

Bill

I do. That’s why I don’t like going on vacation.

• Haha 2

gregintenn, I think you must be missing the reloading boat... Most, well me, I reload for a hobby. Even with your argument (Min. wage) 350 rounds/hour + $10 (wage) plus 7 boxes of lead, $3.80/box = $36.60 so $5.23 a box... still adds up for me???

But if you don't enjoy reloading, I would pay double if I still wanted to shoot as much as I do...

• Like 2
7 hours ago, SHARPPOINT said:

gregintenn, I think you must be missing the reloading boat... Most, well me, I reload for a hobby. Even with your argument (Min. wage) 350 rounds/hour + $10 (wage) plus 7 boxes of lead, $3.80/box = $36.60 so $5.23 a box... still adds up for me???

But if you don't enjoy reloading, I would pay double if I still wanted to shoot as much as I do...

It is a hobby for me, but reloading 218 Bee, 41 Magnum, 257 ROBERTS, etc., seems like a more worthwhile endeavor.

I do have 9mm reloading components, and occasionally load them, but not for economic reasons.

$9 a box to your door from Palmetto State Armory for 9mm. No labor involved. Just not worth the effort for me; especially since I have never advanced from a single stage press.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

I started reloading back in the late 60's. partly for economic reasons. Now that idea usually don't hold water, depending on what you're loading ( hard to find stuff, as Greg said ).  Now it's just a hobby to pass the time, when I have nothing better to do.

Funny thing is, I reloaded up 3K + rds of 40 S&W, when I had lots of brass from our Dept range. Now I have sold the 40, LOL. Still got a cabinet stacked with the stuff. There are others as well. Not complaining, just fact. Still loading 9's just because I can, LOL.........

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, Grunt67 said:

I started reloading back in the late 60's. partly for economic reasons. Now that idea usually don't hold water, depending on what you're loading ( hard to find stuff, as Greg said ).  Now it's just a hobby to pass the time, when I have nothing better to do.

Funny thing is, I reloaded up 3K + rds of 40 S&W, when I had lots of brass from our Dept range. Now I have sold the 40, LOL. Still got a cabinet stacked with the stuff. There are others as well. Not complaining, just fact. Still loading 9's just because I can, LOL.........

I’ve read on the World Wide Web that no one shoots that round anymore. So, it would do you no good to keep that useless ammo. I have a truck, and since you are a good forum member, I would be willing to haul that worthless ammo away for you. Which would make room for you to make a lot more of a better caliber, like 9mm, that you would probably get some use out of.

How’s that sound, Brother? :cheers:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
30 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I’ve read on the World Wide Web that no one shoots that round anymore. So, it would do you no good to keep that useless ammo. I have a truck, and since you are a good forum member, I would be willing to haul that worthless ammo away for you. Which would make room for you to make a lot more of a better caliber, like 9mm, that you would probably get some use out of.

How’s that sound, Brother? :cheers:

Brother Dave, you are just too kind. I just couldn't find it in my sweet soul to do that to you.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Grunt67 said:

Buy yourself a $100 High Point and unload em.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
6 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

That's silly.  You really believe one can't save $7.25 per hour of loading 9mm?

I can't do it with a single stage press, and have no interest in a progressive. If you can, that's great. I stand corrected.

Edited by gregintenn