The future of reloading

1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

I can't do it with a single stage press, and have no interest in a progressive. If you can, that's great. I stand corrected.

I can't justify a progressive, but love my auto-indexing turret press for pistol. Throw a clean piece of brass on it and it comes off a loaded round, crimp and all. I use one of my single stage presses when it's called for. But all the blaster ammo goes thru the turret press.

• Like 1

I've loaded about 400 rds. .38 Spl. in the last few days. About to load a few more and some .357 Mag. I bought some cast Hornady 158 gr. swc bullets and primers at Gamaliel, Ky. And got some more at Academy in Cookeville.  Academy has more reloading supplies than you'd think. Gamaliel actually had more stocked than I figured.  

Edited by Quavodus
  • Like 2
On 12/23/2019 at 9:25 AM, gregintenn said:

My recent fruitless search for a pound of IMR4895 has led me to think about the future of reloading. It seems that fewer and fewer stores carry reloading supplies, and the ones that do are poorly stocked.

I’m not a reloader, so I don’t usually pay attention to reloading supplies. But this caught my eye at the Sportsman Warehouse in Murfreesboro yesterday. This was the was the powder section. Both sides of the isle were loaded with reloading supplies and tools.

UBSZ708.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
2 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I’m not a reloader, so I don’t usually pay attention to reloading supplies. But this caught my eye at the Sportsman Warehouse in Murfreesboro yesterday. This was the was the powder section. Both sides of the isle were loaded with reloading supplies and tools.

UBSZ708.jpg

I've got to get down there and check this store out! Thanks.

I'm a bit late to the reloading discussion party... I'm an old time reloader from the mid seventies... We did, and do reload everything... The great boon of reloading is, in fact, the ability to " taylor " loads to specific rifles (... And some pistolas...) think big revolvers and turnabolt rifles here; and sensible shooting costs for unusual or large calibers...

We used to shoot between 500 and a thousand rounds of shotgun (...AA trap reloads..) and from 200 to 500 rounds of big pistols n rifle rounds every couple of weeks in the " old days " , depending on the mania... The big hitter for pistolas in the reloading days wuz loading the 44 and 45 stuff (... Both revolver n semiautomatic...) at a sensible price, and that is still true today... Shootin is about Shootin, and Shootin alot...

Sadly, that wuz then and this is now... As I've gotten older, I've gotten lazier... No more shotgun..Sigh... Not much big revolver (... I reload about 500 rounds at a time anymore... 357...38 special hi speed...44 Special n Magnum, 45 Colt, and the new " manias"... 357 Sig, 10 MM, and 32H&R... ).

If I shoot semiautos like 9 MM, 40 S&W, or 45 ACP, I buy reloads from Georgia Arms or new ammo from SG Ammo or Midway... I hate ta pick up brass from semiautos... Too o!d, gimped, n lazy...

I'm also thinkin it's pretty hard ta beat the cost of 223 military, unless ya are loading match rounds...

In summary, I would recommend heartily that all shooters do a bit of reloading... Ya may need your reloading cubbard filled in anticipation of that great n awful day when the " Rainbow UN " outlaws guns n ammo, and sends the fairy brigade door ta door...HEHEHE... In the mean time, it's a great hobby that is educational n practical... I think reloading has a great future with those of us that love all things gun related...

leroy

• Like 2
On 1/10/2020 at 9:47 PM, mikegideon said:

I can't justify a progressive, but love my auto-indexing turret press for pistol. Throw a clean piece of brass on it and it comes off a loaded round, crimp and all. I use one of my single stage presses when it's called for. But all the blaster ammo goes thru the turret press.

Mike makes a great point here.. I've got a progressive that I bought at a super sensible price... I hardly ever use it... I change things around too much...  Most all the ammo I load is out of a single stage press, loaded about 100 rounds at a sitting...

Progressives are at their best loading one caliber and one only, with one load recipe, in a relatively short time..  Usually, about 250 to 300 rounds/ hour in my experience ; not the 500 rounds/hour in the sales propaganda. 

That said; there is simply nothin better if ya shoot one recipe and shoot lots of it... They also have a serious downside... Ya better be super careful n usin em, and use a powder recipe that pretty much fills the case, so ya can see a double charge... Don't be distracted and be super careful...Do that, and the progressive thing is, indeed, great...

Leroy.

On 12/24/2019 at 9:27 AM, gregintenn said:

I can't wrap my head around the reason there is a hazmat charge for powder or primer, but not for loaded ammo, which contains.....you guessed it, powder and primers.

It's because of how the different quantities react in fires. Loaded ammo just kinda "pops" one at a time. Jugs of powder and 1000's of primers can really accelerate fires.

Here's a NSSF video on YouTube that shows Firefighters demonstrating what happens with loaded ammo.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, leroy said:

Mike makes a great point here.. I've got a progressive that I bought at a super sensible price... I hardly ever use it... I change things around too much...  Most all the ammo I load is out of a single stage press, loaded about 100 rounds at a sitting...

Progressives are at their best loading one caliber and one only, with one load recipe, in a relatively short time..  Usually, about 250 to 300 rounds/ hour in my experience ; not the 500 rounds/hour in the sales propaganda. 

That said; there is simply nothin better if ya shoot one recipe and shoot lots of it... They also have a serious downside... Ya better be super careful n usin em, and use a powder recipe that pretty much fills the case, so ya can see a double charge... Don't be distracted and be super careful...Do that, and the progressive thing is, indeed, great...

Leroy.

A caliber change on a Dillon 550 takes about five minutes if you buy an extra toolhead and powder measure (about $115 in parts).  Maybe 40 seconds if the case rim is the same diameter.  I can load 100 rounds in eight minutes on mine.  

I agree on the UN ammo ban joke--one of the three reasons I reload is because ammo is available whenever I want it.  If there is a sudden rush on ammo or Academy is out of my favorite load the night before a big match, none of it affects me.  The other two reasons are cost (yes, you can save quite a bit even loading 9mm) and the custom-tailoring aspect.  

4 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

A caliber change on a Dillon 550 takes about five minutes if you buy an extra toolhead and powder measure (about $115 in parts).  Maybe 40 seconds if the case rim is the same diameter.  I can load 100 rounds in eight minutes on mine.  

I agree on the UN ammo ban joke--one of the three reasons I reload is because ammo is available whenever I want it.  If there is a sudden rush on ammo or Academy is out of my favorite load the night before a big match, none of it affects me.  The other two reasons are cost (yes, you can save quite a bit even loading 9mm) and the custom-tailoring aspect.  

My 650 setup is like yours deer...

Separate toolbars for each caliber (... all mine are pistol..)... My problem wuz always twofold; the first wuz the powder measure setup; and the second, my compulsive need to look at every powder charge inside the case...  There are gizmos n techniques to measure powder level (... Powder Cop depth gage...), but I simply can't shake the need ta look into the cases... That cuts the production time in half, for me, at least...

I think lotsa times, I  just too lazy to change the toolbars, verify the powder measure, and start reloading... I think the " real way " is to have a separate measure for each head, and to leave the adjustments alone... That's why I tend to just use the single stage and load a 100 rounds or so at a time... It's part of the " old n lazy " thing that comes to us old curmudgeons...

leroy...

• Like 1

I bought a second 550B just so I wouldn't have to change out the primer parts.

Bill                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

IMG_1259.JPG

I like that setup @BCR#1!

I have my 550 set up for 9mm as that's what I have historically shoot the most of. But I've loaded quite a bit of .38 and .380 on my old single stage Lee press this year.

I need to look into a 550B for .38!

Back when I used to shoot 45 acp a bunch I had a separate tool head and powder for my 550. That made life simpler at the time.

These days, like @leroy, I claim curmudgeon status. :) 

• Like 2
On 1/26/2020 at 6:01 PM, leroy said:

My 650 setup is like yours deer...

Separate toolbars for each caliber (... all mine are pistol..)... My problem wuz always twofold; the first wuz the powder measure setup; and the second, my compulsive need to look at every powder charge inside the case...  There are gizmos n techniques to measure powder level (... Powder Cop depth gage...), but I simply can't shake the need ta look into the cases... That cuts the production time in half, for me, at least...

I think lotsa times, I  just too lazy to change the toolbars, verify the powder measure, and start reloading... I think the " real way " is to have a separate measure for each head, and to leave the adjustments alone... That's why I tend to just use the single stage and load a 100 rounds or so at a time... It's part of the " old n lazy " thing that comes to us old curmudgeons...

leroy...

I hear ya on wanting to see in the case.  I just trust the powder measure though (at least a Dillon) and have never had issues.  Uniquetek and Inline Fabrication make some neat aftermarket gadgets for Dillons.  I think one of them makes a mirror that mounts to the press and lets you see right into the case.  A friend bought a small mirror at Harbor Freight and made a similar setup.  Also, Double Alpha makes a new $20ish click adjustment dial for the powder measure that is super simple and works like a champ.

Having a separate powder measure/toolhead for each caliber is definitely more convenient.  

• Like 1

I got a RCBS Uniflow and trust it but, still look in the cases every time. I've only loaded one round since I started in '87 that didn't have powder but, still check. As far as components go, I think we'll be good finding pretty much what we want/need for a while. I see lots of stuff in stores and online.

• Like 1
On 12/23/2019 at 1:46 PM, alleycat72 said:

Get 20-30 lbs at a time. Get with some friends and make a list of what everyone wants and order it.

Join your local sun/sportsman's club, or if you know a few TGO'ers, get a group-buy together!

I've got over 5k rounds stashed away.... some assembly required! LOL!

• Like 2
On 1/21/2020 at 5:37 PM, Quavodus said:

I've loaded about 400 rds. .38 Spl. in the last few days. About to load a few more and some .357 Mag. I bought some cast Hornady 158 gr. swc bullets and primers at Gamaliel, Ky. And got some more at Academy in Cookeville.  Academy has more reloading supplies than you'd think. Gamaliel actually had more stocked than I figured.  

BTW RCBS used to maybe still make washers to fit under your dies that are the exact thickness of the difference between a 38sp and a 357mag. Slicker than snot. Never have to readjust your dies to change calibers. They work for me there and with 44spl and 44mag. 

• Like 2
On 12/25/2019 at 11:53 AM, DaveTN said:

The quality and repeatability argument doesn't make much sense to me either, modern manufacturing techniques and inspection can produce ammunition far more consistent than in the past..

I may have to argue that to an extent, probably close to 20 years ago I bought 3 or 4 boxes of .308 at Wally world for my new to me then Encore pistol. I wanted same batch # to test with. There were 3 or 4 without primers. Can you imagine the buck of a lifetime steps out and because you loaded your gun in the dark didn't see no primer?? I will tell you all though if you intend to keep shooting either stack the loaded stuff up deep or have enough components. I guess most know that the ammo mfgs. make more profit off of loaded ammo, they really don't care about reloaders much, my $0.02. Hey Greg I happen to like Midsouth shooters supply they had IMR-4895  8lb. jug for $184.39, you can pick it up in Clarksville and save hazmat. I also like Natchez shooters supply.

Edited by Dirtshooter
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 1/21/2020 at 4:37 PM, Quavodus said:

Ours here don't.

Sure there are some calibers you don't save a lot on but then there are others that you can save a ton on.

In my case, 41 mag., 444, 25-20, 32 colt, and 45 colt.

Maybe not so much on the other dozen or so calibers, but if I need a few rounds I don't have to go anywhere to do so.

But like others here I enjoy my time at the bench.

Not sure if I load to shoot, or shoot to load.😀

RP

• Like 2
Guest BCR#1

With ammo and components now facing restrictions in different areas of the country, it would behoove people to start stocking up on either or both before either or both are unattainable due to factors beyond a normal persons control. Don't be caught short handed. Buying just a box of boolits or a pound of powder each month will add up after awhile and you won't break the bank doing it.

Bill

1 hour ago, BCR#1 said:

With ammo and components now facing restrictions in different areas of the country, it would behoove people to start stocking up on either or both before either or both are unattainable due to factors beyond a normal persons control. Don't be caught short handed. Buying just a box of boolits or a pound of powder each month will add up after awhile and you won't break the bank doing it.

Bill

From what I have read this Am on the 'net, it's already started. Supposedly, people are buying guns and ammo like the did in the Obama era.

I don't see the connection between the virus & personal defense. Guess some do. Panic is apparently among us.

• Like 2

FWIW, this may be off topic, but related. I was in Walmart, Lebanon, this AM, and some of the shelves were nearly empty. The Paper towel, bath tissue isle was 90% empty. Lot of canned goods gone. I know this is Sat. shopping, but is unusual for that. May be panic buying for cleaning supplies/canned goods.

3 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

FWIW, this may be off topic, but related. I was in Walmart, Lebanon, this AM, and some of the shelves were nearly empty. The Paper towel, bath tissue isle was 90% empty. Lot of canned goods gone. I know this is Sat. shopping, but is unusual for that. May be panic buying for cleaning supplies/canned goods.

Yeah, the wife went earlier to get just a few things, and she there was no paper anything, TP, napkins, paper towels 

Crazy

RP