The future of reloading

On 3/14/2020 at 3:35 PM, Grunt67 said:

From what I have read this Am on the 'net, it's already started. Supposedly, people are buying guns and ammo like the did in the Obama era.

I don't see the connection between the virus & personal defense. Guess some do. Panic is apparently among us.

It's the panic of crowds that you're seeing in the stores and on the Tee Vee today.

There's a concept called "The Golden Horde" among survivalist circles, but can be easily imagined in a variety of shapes and sizes. Google it for some ideas?

If this stuff going on gets really bad.... how bad will people behave?  Will it reach the point where people load up in cars and commit violence to feed their family (or prey on those less fortunate)? Hungry people will do remarkable things, and frankly I have a pretty low opinion of us humans in general. So use your imagination, browse a few Hollywood plot-lines, and.... yeah, I'll admit it: I started carrying with the extended magazine instead of the compact one last week. It's less easily concealed because it sticks out further, but frankly, I look at that as a benefit today!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, ReeferMac said:

If this stuff going on gets really bad.... how bad will people behave?  Will it reach the point where people load up in cars and commit violence to feed their family (or prey on those less fortunate)?

In a word, YES !!

• Like 1

Some people will do anything to survive. Even if it means damaging property, hurting or killing other people etc. Only thing is some people will do what they have to do to protect themselves. I wonder if some of the crazies know that. Hmmmm.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, DaveTN said:

There are a lot of people at home, pizzed off and armed. Probably not a good time to start a new career as a burglar or home invader. But then, criminals have never been accused of being smart.

That's the truth. We used to have a lot of repeat customers at the county lockup.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Grunt67 said:

That's the truth. We used to have a lot of repeat customers at the county lockup.

Isn't that the definition of insane? Doing the same thing expecting a different outcome.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Back to Op's question, I hear a lot of people ask how much is your time worth etc. I look at reloading as a hobby that feeds another hobby. If one doesn't shoot much then reloading probably isn't for you. If you can purchase the ammo you require at a price you are willing to pay, then don't bother. If you shoot any of the sports USPSA, IDPA etc. it will probably pay off as you will have plenty of practice ammo, you can tune a load for your gun for a particular sport. You will always have enough ammo for your needs. However it does take an investment in time and money. One has to be focused on the task at hand and pretty much be a perfectionist. It sure is nice though if you are going to shoot a match or go hunting in a day or so and look at your inventory and say, "I need to load 20 rounds of caliber of choice, or I need 400 rounds of .40 S&W, you have the tools and patience to get this job done. Can you save money, yes, but you have to buy in bulk, and can't count your time. I don't know any home gardeners making $$ while cutting their grass btw. And the feeling of satisfaction of shooting a deer or turkey or a match with your homemade ammo.

Edited by Dirtshooter
  • Like 4
On 5/11/2020 at 10:18 AM, Dirtshooter said:

Back to Op's question, I hear a lot of people ask how much is your time worth etc. I look at reloading as a hobby that feeds another hobby. If one doesn't shoot much then reloading probably isn't for you. If you can purchase the ammo you require at a price you are willing to pay, then don't bother. If you shoot any of the sports USPSA, IDPA etc. it will probably pay off as you will have plenty of practice ammo, you can tune a load for your gun for a particular sport. You will always have enough ammo for your needs. However it does take an investment in time and money. One has to be focused on the task at hand and pretty much be a perfectionist. It sure is nice though if you are going to shoot a match or go hunting in a day or so and look at your inventory and say, "I need to load 20 rounds of caliber of choice, or I need 400 rounds of .40 S&W, you have the tools and patience to get this job done. Can you save money, yes, but you have to buy in bulk, and can't count your time. I don't know any home gardeners making $$ while cutting their grass btw. And the feeling of satisfaction of shooting a deer or turkey or a match with your homemade ammo.

Oh, I agree completely. But most people I've talked to about reloading, that don't reload, say "they're afraid of blowing up their gun". Those of us that reload know that's BS, but there's no convincing them.

I've reloaded for the better part of 55 years and I've gotten, better, cheaper, and cleaner cartridges than I would have using new.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ray Z said:

I've reloaded for the better part of 55 years and I've gotten, better, cheaper, and cleaner cartridges than I would have using new

Case in point about 20 years ago I purchased some .308 Winchester to sight in my new at the time Encore pistol. I got about 3 or 4 boxes same lot number. While at the range I shot a half dozen or so rounds and noticed 2 or 3 that didn't have a primer in them.  I looked at other boxes and I think a few more were missing. I thought I would have to get the Supreme Court involved to get Wal-mart to take them back. As I bought that gun to deer hunt with, I would have been sorely miffed if I had loaded that gun in the early morning dawn and not checked to see if there was a primer in it. That pretty much made me quit buying factory ammo to hunt with. I have shot 10's of thousand rounds practicing and shooting USPSA matches, most were my reloads. There is a certain satisfaction knowing that th ammo you produce is superior to the factory ammo. If you haven't looked at a video how fast the ammo manufacturers make the ammo, it is a wonder the majority of it exits the barrel properly.

t

I started reloading back in the 70s but time became an issue during the last few years.  After retiring I dusted off the equipment and started reloading again.  I prefer my reloads to the ammunition I get at the stores.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, tnhawk said:

I started reloading back in the 70s but time became an issue during the last few years.  After retiring I dusted off the equipment and started reloading again.  I prefer my reloads to the ammunition I get at the stores.

TN makes a great point...

It is a dammable lie that the ammunition makers make better ammo than handloads done by experienced reloaders... They simply don't... Ask the old time benchresters, long range target folk, n black powder men...

leroy

On 5/18/2020 at 5:50 PM, swiley383 said:

Plus it’s fun. Unfortunately I haven’t had time to load since we adopted our boys.

Let em help!

I’ve told this before, but I was once at Cabela’s with my sons. Looking around, something caught their eye. I went over to see what it was. They were quite surprised to learn that factory loaded ammunition was available for their 257 Roberts chambered deer rifles. They were further shocked when they saw the price!

Every deer either of them have killed succumbed to ammunition they’d hand loaded.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

Every deer either of them have killed succumbed to ammunition they’d hand loaded.

I guess I have spoiled my family, they don't have to reload, I do it for them. I have tried several times to get my adult son into it, but as of yet he hasn't.

• Like 1