hughd

Budget AR-15 UPPER

I bought a ARStoner A3 upper a few years back, and love it.Get one. Mine runs fine with steel and brass case ammo, and accurate.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, robtattoo said:

To be honest, I really don't think there are any bad uppers.

Coming from a strictly poorly educated on AR platform...I agree. Been around a couple of FFL/repair facilities, some hard core AR rifle shooters, and of course guys here. I can't remember hearing any comment identifying a bad upper. A few on lowers of different sources, but not on uppers. This is just my own small experience talking.

I have been considering ordering one of the AR-Stoner uppers though. With the exception of a couple of Colts, almost all my uppers have been PSA. And I can't say I've had any trouble with any of them either.

Never had one, but wouldn't expect midway to be selling junk.

You might look at Palmetto State Armory as well. They have some pretty good deals at this time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

You might look at Palmetto State Armory as well. They have some pretty good deals at this time.

^^^ What he said. ^^^

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-classic-freedom-m4-upper-with-bcg-and-ch.html

For $20 of difference, you can have a nitrate barrel vs. a phosphate one.  That alone is worth the cost difference.

I don't see anything in AR Stoner worth the money when just a smidge more money gets you a better setup.

• Like 1

no chrome lined barrel ,that is something that adds to the cost

a few other small items as well,these low budget uppers run fine but are not of the same grade as many others

On 12/24/2019 at 8:36 AM, robtattoo said:

To be honest, I really don't think there are any bad uppers.

Disagree.   I've seen one that was either poorly assembled or machined.   It had feed issues until it locked up.  Turned out it kind of blew up the BCG.  It was sent back to PSA and refunded for being garbage.  

• Wow 1

To be fair, a single bad example can happen in any price bracket, for any item, any time. I had a Browning X-Bolt that I bought brand new & it wouldn't shoot any ammo worth a crap. Doesn't mean that all mid-price range hunting rifles are bad. It doesn't mean all Brownings are bad. It doesn't even mean that all .300wsm X-Bolts are bad! Ask it mans is that THAT one was bad.

A sample of one is statistically irrelevant, I'm afraid.

I guarantee you'll find that 99.9% of PSA $159 upper users are tickled pink with them.

55 minutes ago, robtattoo said:

To be fair, a single bad example can happen in any price bracket, for any item, any time. I had a Browning X-Bolt that I bought brand new & it wouldn't shoot any ammo worth a crap. Doesn't mean that all mid-price range hunting rifles are bad. It doesn't mean all Brownings are bad. It doesn't even mean that all .300wsm X-Bolts are bad! Ask it mans is that THAT one was bad.

A sample of one is statistically irrelevant, I'm afraid.

I guarantee you'll find that 99.9% of PSA $159 upper users are tickled pink with them.

You said, and I quoted, "any bad uppers."   I gave anecdotal evidence of ONE, disputing your claim.   If you meant lines of uppers or manufacturers, I'm sorry, I misunderstood your post.  

I'd go with PSA if the difference in price is minor...they have a good return policy/"Lifetime Warranty" and they are known quantity you can sell if you ever change your mind about it later.  

• Like 1