Target Practice

I was able to go out this afternoon, and get some shooting done.  The weather is 64 and sunny this afternoon.  We got 1" of rain yesterday and the new filled ground was soft. I had to put about 1 foot of fill dirt to level out my range and the apron in front of the targets. I have a good new stand of fescue grass and some of the clods were still very wet so my shoes had to be cleaned, I guess one could say it was a tad bit wet. 

At any rate I shot a 50 round box at 30 feet, into a new H frame target I purchased a couple months ago. I went to Home Depot and got some 8' 1'x4' lumber and cut me tow 4' stanchions to put in the H holder frame. I also ordered some cardboard targets that are a little smaller than the FBI B 27 targets. They also have much smaller heads on the cardboard than a B 27. I purchased them, and the mettle H frame stands from Midway this fall when they had good sales on them. The target zone is much smaller as the A section is 4", the B section is 5", and the C zone is 6" in the chest area,  and the semi triangle in the head is a 3" triangle. I like them better because the target areas are smaller and one must take care to get them within the A B C zones.  That is good enough for me. I will say the center mass on these targets is still a little low for my liking. My zone is a little higher on the target, say inside of the breast nipples to lower throat zone. 

I was shooting my M P 9MM C 2.0 pistol. All hits in the chest, were in the mostly  A or  few in the B zone. I had 6 shots in the head, and hit the A zone 4 out of the 6 at 30 feet off hand.  I was satisfied with my shooting. My aim was testing the HP ammo and practicing a smooth  trigger pull.

I used 4 different kinds of ammo, some hollow points and a few round nose. This was all ammo I had previously carried in my EDC and had collected of the past couple years after prolonged carry. I wanted to see how the M P handled the different H P bullets. I had Cor Bon, Gold Dots, Golden Saber, and Federal in the H P side, and Winchester W B practice round nose to round out the session.

This pistol has shot everything I have fed it and I now have around 650 through the gun. I am now carrying it when I go out and using either a Cross Breed IWB or Aherns Belt Slide with a good long tailed LL Bean Flannel shirt, mostly untucked. 

I really have fallen in love with the trigger on this gun. I reminds me of the single action double action trigger on my Sig 229. It has some take up in it, but the final pull is very short and sweet.  Like double action on my 686 after cocking the hammer first. I like that. I almost like stage the trigger, like on a revolver, then when I hit the wall I know it is a very short distance to fire the pistol. I don't know what the poundage is on this trigger, but it is light, guessing maybe 4 pounds, but not as light as my DL 23 Glock. 

I am still pocket carrying the 7 shot 357 mag in the Desantsis  Nemesis pocket holster.   Something comforting about that revolver. Been my constant companion for 7 years now.  I home carry this revolver 24 7 when not sleeping, and I feel it saved my bacon 3 years ago now. I had an incident going to the Mail box. 

I would have liked to spend more time shooting, but we have Christmas goodies to take to friends, and a lot of my time was spent on prepping the target and getting tables and metal targets moved to the new shooting range. I have 3 targets with steel plates hanging on chains I shoot at sometimes.  Left a short window to shoot. Will try to do more the next time.  I can see I am really going to enjoy my new range this coming summer. 

• Like 4

If you decide to expand your steel check out these guys, https://shootingtargets7.com/

I have a lot of steel on my range and most has come from them, I find there prices and shipping  very competitive. When you get on their mailing list they send you an eMail for every holiday for a special discount and I mean every holiday, even groundhogs day. I usually wit for  sale to expand or change my setup. I particularly like their bullseye targets.

I use to pick up cheap paint at discount stores or flea markets but recently bought a case of target paint from https://www.rangestore.net/ covers much better and faster.

I color code my targets so they don't all have to be the biggest thing I want to shoot. I have some .22 only targets then handguns and carbine and then a few that I can shoot most anything at within reason. The color coding helps when you have guests.

Home ranges are great, I can go out to 30 yards from my deck with no real setup and if I drag out my portable shooting bench I can go out to 50 yards. Have to drive to a public range for longer shooting but have two neighbors that plan 100y and 300y ranges and both have used mine and say their range will be open to me when completed. At least two other neighbors have ranges but I haven't introduced myself yet, I just her the shooting.

Jeb48, I can get 100 yards on my range, but the sight picture is tight right now. Will  need to cut some trees to widen the approach out a bit, and get a better visual.  I don't shoot a lot of rifle, but have 2 new ones I need to sight in in the spring. Hopefully I will have the trees removed by then. I need to purchase a bigger chain-saw to accomplish the tree removal. I have had some trees downed in storms and my small saw is not adequate for larger tree removal. Thinking of a Stihl Farm Boss saw. 

I have a 8 year old 16" Husqvarna. I had it narrowed down to Stihl or Husqvarna, same dealer same great service and it came down to the ease of adjusting chain tension on the Husqvarna that won me over. When came time to buy a heavy duty weed chopper I went Stihl. Both are great brands.

My old place I had the same problem for longer shots and never did get a path through the trees cut.

Was able to go out and shoot my Taurus revolver yesterday. This is my EDC that I carry when not sleeping. Discovered my holster is worn out as I tried some draw and shoot drills, and several times the holster came out with the revolver. These holsters last about 6 to 9 months and one must get another. They form to the pocket and the sticky wears off somewhat. I usually keep 2 or 3 on hand for this reason.

I have some Remora pocket holster, which are mostly the same as the Desantsis Nemesis, that I purchased a few months ago while they had a good sale. I will switch the old one out, and put the new one in its place this morning. That should cure my problem. It is good to get out and practice shooting as often as one can. 

I am really enjoying this warm spell. It was 67 and sunny here, on Christmas day, in mid TN. It was a real good day to do some more practice. Supposed to be about the same today, but have something I need to do today.  Need to help do some more work on my first born daughters horse trailer and truck.

Edited by pop pop