Merry Christmas 2019, TGO!

TGO David

• Administrator

1511187490_shutterstock_149051369.jpg

It is a hair after midnight as I sit typing this.  My family are all asleep, the lights are off save for the soft warm glow of the Christmas lights strung across our fireplace mantle and those wrapped around the Christmas tree across the room.  The only sound in the house is that of my own typing on this laptop and a Christmas piano playlist on Spotify softly piped through the speakers nearby.

The day before Christmas is officially here and it seems as though, as usual, things have only slowed down enough in the last few days for me to really immerse myself in the sights and sounds of the season.  Time to reflect, to absorb, to ponder, and to enjoy.  I sure do miss the carefree years of childhood when every moment from Thanksgiving onward built toward a crescendo of CHRISTMAS! 

Every year I swear to myself that I will slow down earlier and enjoy it more, sooner.  Work never willingly lets me, although I have learned to set boundaries and force it to.  I'm still not good at it.  I need to do better.  I suspect many of you reading this can relate.

But, lest I sound too dour, I am thankful that I am here, in this moment, enjoying and reflecting and savoring.  I did hit the pause button earlier than I have in the past, and gave myself a reprieve for a few days.  I've taken my oldest daughter (the oldest at home, at least) with me on a few carefree and whimsical errands to just spend time together and get her excited about the holidays.  I've slowed to lie on the floor in our front room and stare out the front door with my 2-year old son at the Christmas lights decorating the house.  I've made a few Kentucky Mules to drink and, in the name of the Scientific Method, tried them in varying mixtures as I work to perfect the art.

I don't think I've got them right just yet.  More work is to be done.  For science.

I've also served additional rotations on the safety team at my church this season, in an attempt to give back just a little toward a debt that I could never truly repay.  It has allowed me more time around people enjoying the holidays, and more Merry Christmas'es than I might have exchanged with strangers otherwise.

If I could have just one wish for all of you here on TGO it would be simply for more time for each of you to slow down and enjoy the season, even if that enjoyment only means a quiet refrain between the busyness of 2019 and the busyness of 2020.  I hope that each of you finds time over the next few days to spend Christmas the way that you like.  Whether that is in the company of friends and family, or serving others, or just quietly but happily alone reflecting on the goodness that still abounds in this world if you look for it.

If you are on duty somewhere this Christmas, please accept my thanks.  Whether it be in public safety or a 24/7 profession of some other sort that doesn't take breaks, whatever it is you're doing matters to someone - perhaps to all of us.  Thank you for doing it.  I hope that you have some moment of rest and relaxation in there somewhere.

Merry Christmas, TGO!

For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given;
And the government will be upon His shoulder.
And His name will be called
Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Of the increase of His government and peace
There will be no end,
Upon the throne of David and over His kingdom,
To order it and establish it with judgment and justice
From that time forward, even forever.
The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.

(Isaiah 9:6-7)

• Like 10

It is wonderful to see people that Remember The Reason For This Season. It is not about all the gifts we give but the one and Only Gift the world was given on this day. A gift that keeps on giving everyday and will do so as long as you open your hearts and let the gift in. Merry Christmas to all here and their families and wishing everyone a Prosperous New Year for all!! 

• Like 4
  • Admin Team

I hope each of you find yourselves surrounded by those you love, and that this time is a time of peace and joy.

I know for some of you that this is a tough time of year. Some of you are in this thread. The loss of those we’ve loved is tough.  Know that I remember you, and have kept you in my prayers too.  

I wish each of you a Merry Christmas. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Merry Christmas to all my TGO brothers and friends. May peace and happiness follow you daily.

Thank you, Mac, for your thoughts and prayers for us all. 

Thank you, David, for herding this band of cats into a meaningful and fun group.

I know many here have had much harder times than I and my family this year, but it is still good to know that others think of you.

From an old sinner, May God Bless and keep us all. And I ask that He, and all of us, keep our dedicated heroes...servicemen and women around this world; the Police in all forms, the first responders, the Doctors and nurses; and the craziest and sometimes least remembered of all...the firefighters...those who run into fires to get us out...in our prayers daily. Amen.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 2