Private Tennessee Mountaintop Base with Airport Runway For Sale

TGO David

1 hour ago, Erich said:

Y'all may not have noticed the story or follow the links that discussed the history. The last 10 years its been a drone training facility, before that there wasnt an airfield or roads to link the cleared areas where they added buildings. If you look at the satellite image you can see how they spoked out. The linked roads were to both working sites and mock building structures (stacked storage containers) that drone pilots in training would take practice runs on.聽

May well have been owned by paper companies years before, but probably just forested area. Looks like it hasnt been stripped for quite some time.

Wish all acreage was that cheap!聽 Great for hunting, but man would it be expensive to develop. Historical info indicted the base power was supplied by on-site generators, that I guess they did not leave behind. Not for a paltry 9 million.

"https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1760093,-88.0220308,3694m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!7m1!2e1"

Interesting that Hickman County is not included in the TN Property tax map info.聽

2 hours ago, TomInMN said:

What's the range for raw land in TN? Say, sloughs in the boonies to useable (subdividable, farmable, buildable, etc) land say 30 minutes from a midsize town?

Guess the question is what is midsize? Acreage being cheaper with larger sections, you have to probably spend more than the average person would in today's market. Around here, only developers are buying big pieces in the 1 to 3 million range to get acreage at lower cost.

Smaller sections are being sold by speculators around here. @ 30 mins out. Ranges from 4k to 7k on the low end to 10k an acre depending on desirability and amount purchased. Up to 10k - 20k for premium smaller lots (less than 5 acres).聽 I figure I dont know enough to buy land and knowing the developers and speculators already snapped up all the reasonable prices, whats left if seems sketchy up to 45 minutes away.

Middle TN over 1 hour out seems to have some good value. But then you are back to having to get resources and any improvements. That's聽 where you need Dave's kinda money again ;)

Since that's not me, back to waiting for a market correction.

Edited by Erich
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Moped said:

There are mountains in Hardin County? 馃

Back when I ran around in that general area, it was mostly ridge country. Not mountains, but usually quite tall.聽聽Lots of long ridges with聽 a whole lot of straight up and down between 'em. Small sharp sided valleys hardly 50 yards across at the bottom. What flatland there was was generally owned by the locals for farming, cattle, etc.聽

But then, when the policy is to totally clear cut, even bulldoze the stumps and just leave bare dirt for aerial replanting with pine, it does tend to change the topography a bit.聽:rolleyes:

19 hours ago, No_0ne said:

This was my first thought too.聽 I grew up about 30 miles from there, in those days the paper mills had some huge operations in Henderson, Hardin and McNairy counties.聽 I've been away from there for many years so I'm not sure how much of that is still going on, but it makes sense that this is a defunct tree-farming operation ...

Paper mill is still going strong. 聽 When the wind blows the right way, I can smell it something fierce in Michie. 聽

• Like 1
On 12/26/2019 at 8:41 AM, Capbyrd said:

Paper mill is still going strong. 聽 When the wind blows the right way, I can smell it something fierce in Michie. 聽

PCA in Counce is definitely still rolling but the International Paper mill in Cortland AL聽is closed. IP owned a lot of this land.聽

• Like 1