Browning SA-22 Serial Number

Luckyforward

I am looking at a Belgian Browning SA-22 for sale and am trying to determine the date of manufacture.  I've scoured a lot of websites and come away more confused than knowledgeable about how to interpret the serial number for manufacture date.

Do any of you have any suggestions?

And as always, thanks!

• 7 months later...

I just went through the same thing. My S/N was inside the butt plate, where the magazine rod comes out. It had a T and two numbers on the top, three numbers on the bottom, and a number out on the left side all by itself! I think it's a 1961 manufactured rifle. It's a take-down model. If you need to adjust your barrel nut, read instructions and watch videos first. Finally, don't let that little spring and plunger get away from you!!!! It's easy for it to pop out, and I've been looking for mine all day! It's in this room full of carpet somewhere... but I don't know where. JFYI

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2019 at 5:55 PM, Luckyforward said:

Thank you; of all the pages I looked at, I wasn't able to find this one without your help.  Rifle was made in 1966!

Luckyforward, did you buy the Browning SA-22? They are at the top of my "interest" list, right now. I'd like to hear what you think about yours and if it shoots accurately. We cam PM, if you feel more comfortable talking about it that way.

Glad to comment.  Yes, I bought the SA-22.  It is extremely accurate, easy and fun to shoot.  The rifle is light and the sights are excellent.  It is the smallest rifle I have ever shot (the receiver is almost tiny compared to other .22s I own) but absolutely the most fun.  I have fewer misfires with the SA-22 as compared to my Winchester Models 62 and 63.  And to be completely honest, there is nothing more fun than rapid firing just for the heck of it . . .

The takedown function is easy and fast.  They used to sell it with a carry bag, but mine did not come with one.  I'd like to find one.  

The rifle I purchased came in the original box and was sold in a Firestone store in 1966.  Are those days gone forever!  Buy a rifle and new tires (which came cheaper if you had a recappable tire from your car.)  Only old guys like me will know the meaning of that last statement!

It's the best rifle purchase I've made!  Here's a good deal if you just want a shooter.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/browning-rifles/browning-sa-22-sa-22-belgium-made-1969.cfm?gun_id=101491566

Edited by Luckyforward