Woodworking question

gregintenn

I know very little about woodworking. I would like to make some small wooden boxes with sliding tops. I have a table saw. What accessories do I need to cut box joints? Also, where is a good place to get the wood?

Any other advice would be appreciated as well.

26 minutes ago, Dirtshooter said:

Hey Greg, I have done a fair amount of woodworking, simple joinery though. Take a look on Youtube a guy named Steve Ramsey titled Make this box joint jig. I like his videos btw.

Thanks. After I asked, I looked at youtube. There is a never ending supply of info and tips there. Some of those guys are really sharp.

2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I know very little about woodworking. I would like to make some small wooden boxes with sliding tops. I have a table saw. What accessories do I need to cut box joints? Also, where is a good place to get the wood?

Any other advice would be appreciated as well.

I just answered the same question for myself. The absolute best box joint jig on the planet...

https://www.infinitytools.com/incra-ibox-box-joint-jig-for-table-saw-router-table?gclid=Cj0KCQiAl5zwBRCTARIsAIrukdNejbP8L8lvW-zMZSXSuSSR8T3sc_3-Bsdc0Xk56QbJ7u_7LtU80RoaAhjJEALw_wcB

Yeah... I have one. Haven't had a chance to use it.

ibox.jpg

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

I just answered the same question for myself. The absolute best box joint jig on the planet...

https://www.infinitytools.com/incra-ibox-box-joint-jig-for-table-saw-router-table?gclid=Cj0KCQiAl5zwBRCTARIsAIrukdNejbP8L8lvW-zMZSXSuSSR8T3sc_3-Bsdc0Xk56QbJ7u_7LtU80RoaAhjJEALw_wcB

Yeah... I have one. Haven't had a chance to use it.

ibox.jpg

LOL! You seem to forget I'm a tightazz.

5 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

LOL! You seem to forget I'm a tightazz.

They got a gazillion youtube jigs by fellow tight azzez. Get some extra wood. :)

FWIW, I plan to make a bunch of boxes. The home made jigs are finicky, but work just fine once you get set up.

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, peejman said:

There's a bunch of ways to do it depending on how you make the joints.聽聽I'd think all you'd really need is a dado blade, but even that isn't really necessary.

Nothing new in woodworking. I think box joints were around before power tools. So...

4 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I don鈥檛 think much has changed centuries other than power tools, biscuit joinery, and modern laminates instead of real wood.

Yeah. Biscuit joinery is a power tool thing. I use a lot of biscuits. I do enough of this stuff to know that life would really suck without power tools and engineered woods.聽

• Like 1

I buy my small wooden boxes then enjoy smoking the cigars out of them before putting them to productive use.....

Seriously good luck with your project. Making a good square box takes patience and the sliding top adds difficulty. My dad did it with a dado and a table saw with a home made fence that gave him the finger joint spacing reliably. Not fancy tools, but they got the job done.

• Like 4