SP101

res308

Got the SP101 3" in today! Beeeyooteeful! Reminds me of my old one I had several years ago, and have missed ever since I sold it (dang such foolishness). Ruger must have improved the action a bit over the years. Had some action work done on my old one and this one still seems smoother than I remember. Trigger stages very nicely. Good to have one in my hands again though. Haven't gotten much work done at all tonight, seeing as how I've been fondling and molesting this thing since this afternoon! Gonna go break it in tomorrow.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the SP101 3" in today! Beeeyooteeful! Reminds me of my old one I had several years ago, and have missed ever since I sold it (dang such foolishness). Ruger must have improved the action a bit over the years. Had some action work done on my old one and this one still seems smoother than I remember. Trigger stages very nicely. Good to have one in my hands again though. Haven't gotten much work done at all tonight, seeing as how I've been fondling and molesting this thing since this afternoon! Gonna go break it in tomorrow.

Actually that's 3 1/16" barrel, but who's counting? :rolleyes:

Congrats on getting one of the best wheel guns ever made back in your stable!

- OS

Actually that's 3 1/16" barrel, but who's counting? :rolleyes:

Congrats on getting one of the best wheel guns ever made back in your stable!

- OS

Yeah, I know, but I was too LAZY to type out the full "three and one sixteenth" bit.

Speaking of that, the 3 1/16" is the one I wanted for sure. For one thing, I think it looks a little more "bidness like" but I was also wondering how much velocity and accuracy one might gain from the little bit of extra length. I know there's a formula out there for how much velocity is lost/gained with shorter/longer barrels, and I believe some of that will depend on what commercial ammo you use or what powder you use (slow/medium/fast burn rate). All that factored with bullet weight and construction being equal, say 125 grain Gold Dot or XTP for example for the .357.

That, and do you have any recommendations on the best powder to use for .357 as far as what brand and burn rate and why? I probably wont handload a whole lot for the 101, except for .38 practice ammo, but I will for my 586 6". The 101 is mainly defense - duty backup and off duty primary since I'm a revolver nut - but the Smith is hunting and defense. Now for that I'll load some 125's and either 158's or 180's. Thinking about the 180's (deer, coyote, hogs, the occasional blue wildebeest:rolleyes:). I'd really like to settle on a powder I could use for all the above to keep it simple and save a little money, if practical to do so.

Anyway, sorry for the long verbal spew. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

Got to break her in this morning. Went to my buddy's range where he has some steel popper targets. Didn't do any time on paper targets yet though. Stepped out back of his shop and set up. 65 yards from there to the half size steel silhouettes he has. Shot half decent with some old 130gr AE round nose FMJ. It liked the few 38+P's I brought. Then went to the full house. Had some left over rounds of 357 in Corbon, Hydrashok, and Golden Sabre, just some odd-out rounds that I just had a few (6-8) each of. Sounded off with a good bit of buck and roar. The targets stood up, took notice, and went ta swingin'. Enjoyed it so much at 65 yards I never bothered to move up to the 25. Really happy with this baby! Got it stoked right now with the 125gr Hornady XTP, also have Speer Gold Dot 125 and Federal C357B 125JHP as well. Figured the Hornady would be good for all around packin in the woods in the Smith 586 too.

It's hard to describe how friggin happy I am now to once again have a good quality brace of revolvers. It's like going back to what ya just know is right for ya!:shake: