Not a firearm - turn your 22 into a BB gun with Colibri

We have guns, but many don’t have a simple BB or pellet gun. They can be useful for persuading critters off your property, training new shooter, or just plinking cans. I like it for setting my sights in the garage before i go shooting. 

If you own a 22, you can have both with Aguila Colibri 420fps ammo. I made a video to show the primer only round (no gunpowder) that has a simple pellet tip. Standard bb guns shoot 390 to 590 fps. Pellet guns shoot around 720 fps.  No gunpowder means not a firearm .

A4EEFED4-154F-40A2-A962-1156C0211A60.png

Edited by One1
  • Admin Team

Semantics aside - you don’t want to find yourself in a position where you’re trying to explain this to law enforcement.  

And, note a serialed firearm is a firearm regardless of the projectile it’s firing.

If you’re in a place where you can shoot air guns but not firearms, get an air gun.  They make some great ones. 

Likewise, if you want to play with the Aguila primer only rounds, have a big time.  Just clean your weapon well afterwards.

Also note - there are questions about exactly what mix Aguila uses - but consensus is it’s dirty.  Either make sure you’ve got great ventilation or use it outside. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Moderators

To piggyback on @MacGyver, these are for pistols only. They don’t have enough umph to reliably clear a rifle barrel. So you can pack a barrel up full of these and destroy the gun in the process. They also won’t operate the slide of a semiauto pistol. 

They can be fun, but be sure of what your using and how or the fun can get expensive in a hurry. 

You would be wrong in your definition.  Per ATF:

The term “Firearm means: Any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; The frame or receiver of any such weapon; Any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or. Any destructive device.

So those rounds are the same as any other ammo in the ATF's eyes.  I don't think you were trying to imply getting around any laws, but everyone should know the legal definition.

I have used them in a revolver, but that's about it.  Since I bought suppressors I haven't used them at all.

• Like 1

A .22 rifle is a .22 rifle, no change of ammunition with change that.  I bought a break barrel air rifle for just this purpose. It's listed at 1200fps. The trigger is pretty awful, but it does great on beer cans at 30yds and squirrels at 30ft. 

Edited by peejman

No gunpowder means not a firearm

So that AR15 I picked up at the gun show isn't a firearm since I didn't introduce gunpowder to it? The guy doing the background check sure didn't see it that way.

Nothing wrong with CB caps, or whatever they call them these days, but if your 22 is capable of firing ammunition, it IS a firearm.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
On 1/1/2020 at 5:51 PM, gregintenn said:

So that AR15 I picked up at the gun show isn't a firearm since I didn't introduce gunpowder to it? The guy doing the background check sure didn't see it that way.

Whaaat?? It just goes to show you that you can't get good help these days.

• Haha 1
  • 7 months later...

I prefer CCI Quiet .22LR. I may or may not used it to rid the yard of groundhogs with my Ruger 10/22. Works well but at 720 FPS shoot placement is still important. Bonus is that it's consistent and accurate.

Their sub-sonic runs at 1050fps and works better but adds a little more neighborhood noise.