FFL Transfers

Guest 0down

Obviously this is not something which they actively enforce...

From what I gather, this effectively would make any private transaction, even in-state, taxable...

This could shut down yard-sales and flea-markets across the state!

Sorry to get off the original post but since it was brought up:

In KY they have a provision that yard sales are exempt from use tax unless you make over $XX. I would assume that TN would have a similar law but I'm not sure. In KY they would to go to flea-markets and collect sales tax from the vender's. So the price you would pay included sales tax. But things like magazine subscripts are subject to use tax. TN is more aggressive than most states in collecting use tax.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything more than $20-$25 is BS. If you don't mind the drive to Jackson, Mitchell's country Store and Parkway Gun and Pawn charge $20 + TICS.

Let's see, with the price of gas at about $3 a gallon and with Jackson being about 60 miles from Memphis, for most vehicles that is about 3 gallons of gas one way. So round trip that makes 6 gallons of gas or roughly $18. Let's add time. At minimum wage that is about $6 an hour for a 2 hour round trip that is $12. So in order to "save" money, you have to spend $30. That sounds like BS to me. It would end up costing $60 to do a transfer that way. I might as well go to RangeUSA and pay the $50 to them. At least then a local guy gets money and I save $10.

Just my thoughts.

Lots of folks in the Memphis area will do a transfer for $20-25 + NICS.

Looking over the list at GunBroker, I find people charging $10-50 and some adding percentages and use (sales tax) fees. Obviously some people want your transfer business and some will grudgingly do it if you insist.

Go to http://www.gunbroker.com/User/DealerNetwork.asp and put in your zip code.

http://listings.shotgunnews.com/fflguide/ also has a list but some of the info looks out of date.

Guest Greentimber

Damn men. Obviously it doesn't pay to drive to Jackson to save $15. If you ever get this way for work, family, travel, etc.. then it would make sense.

Point is that an FFL who charges customers more than $25 for doing almost nothing (I did four this week at work, btw) is hurting himself in the long run.

Point is that an FFL who charges customers more than $25 for doing almost nothing (I did four this week at work, btw) is hurting himself in the long run.

I wouldn't call it "doing almost nothing."

An FFL who charges more than $25 is basically saying he doesnt want that business. That's his decision and he is entitled to run the business any way he wants.

Personally I'm glad there are FFLs who charge $40 and $50 because it makes my job easier.