1911. Carry questions

CBOW

I am at the point where I want to start carrying a 1911. I have owned a couple lower end models over the years and just prefer them to anything else I’ve owned. I’ve decided on a 9mm, probably one of the Dan Wesson’s like the Guardian. My question is, do you own them to shoot at the range or do you actually carry one every day? I’m not really asking about how they carry, I am good with that, more about  if your fine paying the price for a gun that will see a lot of wear. 

Edited by CBOW

I've got 5 1911's, two Wilson Combat CQBE's .45cal, Les Baer TRS .45cal, Springfield GI .45cal. and a new Colt in .38 super. I carry both of the Wilsons all the time I just rotate them out, One has 15,000-18,000rnds. ran through it, the other around 10,000, as far as wear goes I could care less you can always have them refinished if you want and I replace the parts that show wear but so far I've only changed out the recoil springs and main springs in them when needed or recommended . I switch off form Kydex Holsters, to Leather Holsters, the Kydex will cause more "wear" on the finish. Both of those guns cost me $3200 to have them built. The Les Baer I have only two mags shot through it since I bought it just to check for function. The SA, and Colt I just recently bought and have yet to shoot them. So I guess to answer your question yeah I'm fine carrying them and I'm not really worried about wear, remember they can all be refinished. Hope this answers your question, enjoy your 1911 and carry it they look better with a little wear marks on them anyway.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, DJTC45 said:

I've got 5 1911's, two Wilson Combat CQBE's .45cal, Les Baer TRS .45cal, Springfield GI .45cal. and a new Colt in .38 super. I carry both of the Wilsons all the time I just rotate them out, One has 15,000-18,000rnds. ran through it, the other around 10,000, as far as wear goes I could care less you can always have them refinished if you want and I replace the parts that show wear but so far I've only changed out the recoil springs and main springs in them when needed or recommended . I switch off form Kydex Holsters, to Leather Holsters, the Kydex will cause more "wear" on the finish. Both of those guns cost me $3200 to have them built. The Les Baer I have only two mags shot through it since I bought it just to check for function. The SA, and Colt I just recently bought and have yet to shoot them. So I guess to answer your question yeah I'm fine carrying them and I'm not really worried about wear, remember they can all be refinished. Hope this answers your question, enjoy your 1911 and carry it they look better with a little wear marks on them anyway.

Thank you! That was another question I had. Do you prefer kydex or leather? I’ve only ever carried leather

Kydex is faster to draw from for me than leather, I guess like all leather it needs to be broken in but still retain the gun, were Kydex  is usually pre molded to already fit, but also remember don't be a cheapskate when buying either make sure they are of good quality. I've got a J&M Kydex Holster think it ran $60 and I also have a Raven OWB that was $70, both hold the guns nice and tight but are easy to draw from, now my leather ones cost me a lot more, I have and Andrews HY-Bird that is full Shark Hide OWB, Milt Sparks 55bn OWB, and a couple of others. A good Gun Belt is also needed and make sure it fits the loops snugly I prefer a 1.5" width belt when carrying either IWB(inside the waistband) or OWB. I tend to stay away from Paddle Holsters unless they have a good retention to stay put when drawing your gun( it's funny but I've seen and had it happen to me when practicing with a cheap one the whole thing comes out) do some searches and find out what works best for you. 

• Like 2

I love them, but I don’t carry one anymore; although a lot of folks do. A good one in .45ACP is an excellent example of high quality all metal guns. The weight vs. round count just doesn’t compare to a Tupperware gun. Their application, for me, is they are excellent target guns and range toys.

I’ve never owned one in 9mm based on all the folks I see that have problems with the 9mm being able to operate the heavier gun. Of course, some don’t have problems.  

As far as holsters go; I’m all leather, all the time. But of course, they cost more.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, CBOW said:

It just seems a lot of people buy them Morr for shooting not for carrying

Who cares what other people do? Make YOU happy.

I'll occasionally carry a Colt's Bisley model or even a Luger.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

I have carried a 1911 of one flavor or another since I got my permit around 2006-either a Kimber Ultra Carry or a Para Expert carry both 3 inch barrel.

I have a couple of Kimber and Springfield 4 inch models but are heavier and do not get carried as much.

I feel like a 1911 fits myself better than any other make of pistol.That is why I carry one

My first carry gun was a Kimber 4.25”. I love that gun. Got a great quality leather holster. Only down side was even with a good gun-specific belt it would damn near pull my britches off. Even though that made all the ladies swoon, it was less than desirable. Never cared for the first second about carry wear on the weapon. 

• Like 1

I've carried a Kimber Ultra Carry for years in a Milt Sparks VMII IWB Holster.

If I carry a full size 1911 I use a Sparks 55BN or old school Roy Baker Pancake, both OWB.

Best advice I can give about carrying a 1911 is have a good belt.

I have a 5" government model and a 3.5" officers model that I carry quite a bit. I've carried a 1911 more than any other pistol I have owned ever since I first got my permit back in '92.

I have always used a leather IWB holster and if you get the right holster IWB or OWB and good gun belt the weight is not really noticeable at least in my experience.

As far as leather or Kydex goes, get what you like. My preference is leather, as I carry all my pistols in leather, I just have never cared as much for Kydex but I know people who swear by them, it's all about what you like and are comfortable wearing.  Both Kydex and leather have pluses and minuses and as others have said, dont skimp on the belt as it is as important as the holster. The best holster in the world isn't going to be all it can be with a belt that sags and won't support the weight of the pistol your trying to carry in it.

Just my opinion,  take it for what it is, lol

Over the years, I have carried four different 1911s, all with the same Comp-tac CTAC IWB kydex holster.  The only one I got tired of carrying was a 38 oz. steel frame gun.  None had any significant wear from the kydex.  All were $1000-ish guns (Springfield, STI, Colt).  I wouldn't worry about wear and tear on a pricey gun as much as I would worry about what would happen to it if I had to use it.  I wouldn't want it getting thrown around in a ziplock bag in an evidence room.  Also, some police departments/Sheriff's offices may make you jump through hoops to get it back.  I've heard of a few rightful owners never getting their guns back after a legitimate shooting or a theft.

Edited by deerslayer

I carried a MC Operator w/X300 for a while along with a Champion Lightweight Operator on plain clothes duty. The Champion was fantastic to carry. I only stopped to standardize with SWAT and 8+1 rounds is on the edge of my comfort level. Plus my back is a mess and that MC Operator with light got heavy.

Never cared about wear and tear. The more beat up they get the more I like them because it means I'm doing something with them. I carry kydex only in an Aeres belt.

I do flirt every now and then with going back to a Lightweight Operator but it seems threats have changed over the years. Single attacker I feel fine with a 1911 but multiple attackers I'm going to prefer my Glock 34/17/19. That's just me though ymmv. 

There is something about breaking leather with the MC Operator that made me feel warm and fuzzy though. And even a few "bad guys" I caught commented on my gun.  1911s have a weird psychological effect it seems on me and a lot of people.

• Administrator

I used to.  I love a good 1911 but capacity trumps caliber.  I want as many rounds as possible at my disposal between reloads.

If you're thinking 9mm in a 1911 style gun, why not go to a 2011 in 9mm instead?  It's the platform you love, just better because it's a double-stack.

• Like 3
On 12/31/2019 at 7:04 PM, Garufa said:

You’ll be hard pressed to find a slimmer pistol that packs the punch of a 1911.  They are heavy though.

They don’t have to be.  I think alloy framed 5” models are the best possible setup for a carry 1911.  The full length slide is generally more reliable than 4” guns, which are more sensitive to spring wear and it actually carries better for me.

Then the STI Staccato C is lighter yet, but expensive.  Speaking of expensive, 2011s make a lot of sense too but they are rather chunky.  In 9mm, a 4” 2011 is a great setup because the 9 avoids the disadvantages of the short slide in .45.   

Of course, one might have a problem with the thought of a $2500 gun sitting in an evidence room for years, possibly bloody and rusting.  I’ve decided that the advantages of the platform outweigh the monetary risk, especially when you factor in the difficult shot the gentleman in Texas had to make a few days ago.

• Like 2
On 12/31/2019 at 8:04 PM, Garufa said:

You’ll be hard pressed to find a slimmer pistol that packs the punch of a 1911.  They are heavy though.

Our Brother has spoke a great truth... Used ta carry one myself in the " old days "... If ya carry one, consider the alloy frame models... Weight does make a difference...

leroy... 

• Like 1