1911. Carry questions

CBOW

I haven't been concerned with normal wear but am concerned about getting the gun back / replacement cost if I had to use it in a defensive situation.  As far as weight, I already carry and extra 75+ lbs. around -- another 2 or 3 lbs. won't make that much difference...  

On 1/1/2020 at 7:53 PM, TGO David said:

I used to.  I love a good 1911 but capacity trumps caliber.  I want as many rounds as possible at my disposal between reloads.

If you're thinking 9mm in a 1911 style gun, why not go to a 2011 in 9mm instead?  It's the platform you love, just better because it's a double-stack.

This is what I was thinking, if I were to carry a 1911 style pistol I would definitely go with one of the new 2011 models.  As to worry about wear and tear from use or the potential of my expensive carry gun being locked up in an evidence room I think that would be the very least of my worries in the event that I needed to use my pistol in an SD situation.  Also the legal fees will far outpace the 2-3K cost of that pistol.

• Like 3
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, FrankD said:

This is what I was thinking, if I were to carry a 1911 style pistol I would definitely go with one of the new 2011 models.  As to worry about wear and tear from use or the potential of my expensive carry gun being locked up in an evidence room I think that would be the very least of my worries in the event that I needed to use my pistol in an SD situation.  Also the legal fees will far outpace the 2-3K cost of that pistol.

VERY true on the legal fees and other worries.  That's a big part of the reason why I started carrying a US Law Shield membership for myself and my wife, and why they came on board as a sponsor here at TGO.

This has been my primary carry for about 25 years now. For me at least, its the perfect carry gun. 

hUjlkBw.jpg

Its a lightly modified 1959 Colt Commander in .45acp. At that time there was no Combat Commanders, so all Commanders were lightweights. I bought it used at a gun show some 30 years or more ago. Frankly, it was a mess. I refinished it once myself, but was never truly happy with the results. So in 2010 I sent it back to Colt and had them refinish it. As you can see, 10 years of carry hasn't hurt it much. In recent years I've considered replacing it with a newer version. However my mods, although minor, do pretty much negate its collector value. Besides, its totally reliable, accurate and we're old friends now. ;)

On the question of wear and tear of everyday carry? I ask, how much is your life worth? 

As for holsters, I only use leather.  I have no more use for a plastic holster than I do for a plastic gun. BTW: the leather gear in that picture is at least 20 years old and still in excellent shape. Its just broken in real good and very comfortable. Buy quality and it'll last.  :up: 

Honestly, I've never cared much for a 9mm 1911. Something just seems wrong about that. Almost blasphemy. If you're going to limit the number of rounds in the gun, make sure they'll do the job. ;) Frankly, if you're going to carry a 9mm, there are hundreds of better choices with more capacity available. If you insist on a mid-bore 1911, I suggest to look hard at the original, the .38 Super. :D

• Like 3
On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 2:48 PM, CBOW said:

I am at the point where I want to start carrying a 1911. I have owned a couple lower end models over the years and just prefer them to anything else I’ve owned. I’ve decided on a 9mm, probably one of the Dan Wesson’s like the Guardian. My question is, do you own them to shoot at the range or do you actually carry one every day? I’m not really asking about how they carry, I am good with that, more about  if your fine paying the price for a gun that will see a lot of wear. 

Simple answer here.....

Your carry weapon is your most important tool/weapon.  You should shoot it at the range, or wherever, more than any other weapon!  Everything else that you own in the realm of handguns/rifles, etc. is for a secondary level of importance to the one that you carry for the very protection of you and your loved ones.  So, shoot the heck out of it and work on drawing/sighting/firing.  If you wear it out sooner, so be it.  It is to save your life and nothing is more important.  Do not use one "like" your carry, but use the very one you plan on saving your life.

• Like 2

I'v carried a std 1911A1 that I cut down to Officers size before there was an Officers and assembled hundreds more. I agree with a few others in that it is not an ideal 9mm carry gun..... at all. Its specifically sized for a 45 rd. All the extra girth in the slide & barrel is all oxymoron in typical med frame sized 9mm guns. I can understand the desire for such a classic J Browning design and keeping within that line of character I would suggest Brownings last Great pistol design. The Hi Power. NO ONE can dispute the Hi Power's domination of the 9mm rd in proven mil spec hard ware. Its perfectly sized as the master created it and Mec Gar builds 15 round mags flush. I had a Browning many years ago but sold it to a friend who fawned over it as he joined a local PD and wanted it for a service gun. I bought a FEG Hi power a few years ago and its a very capable carry gun with excellent accuracy.  Slimmer & lighter than a 1911 yet doesn't skip a beat in the mystique of John Browning's genius. 

Edited by xtriggerman
  • Like 3
14 hours ago, chances R said:

My carry gun is what I am confident in and comfortable in carrying.  Cost is not a big deal relative to the value of my life.  If it lays in an evidence locker, that cost will be a drop in the bucket.

Agreed, but from my experience, the $2500 1911s don't do anything any of my $1000-1200 1911s wouldn't do.  

11 hours ago, xtriggerman said:

I'v carried a std 1911A1 that I cut down to Officers size before there was an Officers and assembled hundreds more. I agree with a few others in that it is not an ideal 9mm carry gun..... at all. Its specifically sized for a 45 rd. All the extra girth in the slide & barrel is all oxymoron in typical med frame sized 9mm guns. I can understand the desire for such a classic J Browning design and keeping within that line of character I would suggest Brownings last Great pistol design. The Hi Power. NO ONE can dispute the Hi Power's domination of the 9mm rd in proven mil spec hard ware. Its perfectly sized as the master created it and Mec Gar builds 15 round mags flush. I had a Browning many years ago but sold it to a friend who fawned over it as he jointed a local PD and wanted it for a service gun. I bought a FEG Hi power a few years ago and its a very capable carry gun with excellent accuracy.  Slimmer & lighter than a 1911 yet doesn't skip a beat in the mystique of John Browning's genius. 

Magazines can eliminate some of the issues faced when running 9mm and .40 length cartridges in a .45 length action.  Also, manufacturers are making 1911 style guns specifically for 9mm length rounds.  The Springfield EMP series and the Wilson EDC are two examples.  I have an EMP4 that is a fantastic shooter, is nice and flat, and only weighs 30 oz.

18 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

Agreed, but from my experience, the $2500 1911s don't do anything any of my $1000-1200 1911s wouldn't do.  

I suspect that statement is true. But I’ve never had access to a $2500 1911 and an impartial shooter. It would be cool to see it done.

I've had access to a few.  If I had $3000 to invest in a 1911, I would look at Ed Brown or (more likely) I would buy a bunch of Caspian and Ed Brown parts and have a smith build it.  I've never handled a Nighthawk and don't know much about them.  I've seen enough out-of-the-box Wilsons take a dump in the middle of an IDPA match that I wouldn't risk buying one, although I have to admit, the EDC is highly interesting.  

11 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

xtriggerman makes an excellent point. If you want to carry a SA pistol and insist that it be a 9mm. you just can't do any better than a Hi-Power. :up:

2 minutes ago, xtriggerman said:

Thank you........ ;)

And you guys think I might agree with you? lol

Actually, I have a hard time on this. I love my HPs. But the CZ 75 is one very sweet shooter as well. The HP is a little lighter for me, and that is my opinion. But the CZ just feels so darn good as well.

Glad I don't have to choose only one. 

• Like 1

If I were going to spend $1000 on a single action 9mm, I agree with XTriggerman. It’d be on a Hi-Power. To be honest with you, if I were going to buy another steel 9mm, it’s be a Hi-Power. I’ve had a CZ and think they are great pistols, but my hand is just a tad too small for it.  I have to change hand position to engage or disengage the safety or drop a mag, but they run flawlessly and are very accurate! The Brown just fits my hand perfectly.

Tisas is currently making a beautiful copy of the Hi-Power in both blue and Stainless. Prices are right around $500.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2019/5/20/review-tisas-regent-br9/

• Like 1
12 hours ago, deerslayer said:

An honest question here.  In a defense situation, will a $1000-$1200 1911 (or a $2500 1911) do much more than my $300 1911? It is GI model, shoots straight and tight to my ability. 

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

An honest question here.  In a defense situation, will a $1000-$1200 1911 (or a $2500 1911) do much more than my $300 1911? It is GI model, shoots straight and tight to my ability. 

If you are competent in your ability and are confident in your gun’s proven reliability, $300 or $3000, they’ll all get the job done just the same. 

To all y’all extolling the virtues of the HiPower, y’all know what’s up. Ain’t nothing like it. 

• Like 2

To all y’all extolling the virtues of the HiPower, y’all know what’s up. Ain’t nothing like it.

Well add me in as a true fan of the Hi-Power. :D The Brownings and FNs are the originals. But like the 1911, there are plenty of excellent clones out there for much less money. That Tisas is a nice looking pistol. But copies made by FEG, FM Argentina, Kareem and more are know to be excellent guns. Honestly, I don't believe I've ever heard of anybody making a bad copy of the Hi-Power. Most can be had at around $300-350. 

I have three myself. :D

LfK5okz.jpg

Top: Browning MK III

Center: FEG

Bottom: FM Detective Model

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Well add me in as a true fan of the Hi-Power. :D The Brownings and FNs are the originals. But like the 1911, there are plenty of excellent clones out there for much less money. That Tisas is a nice looking pistol. But copies made by FEG, FM Argentina, Kareem and more are know to be excellent guns. Honestly, I don't believe I've ever heard of anybody making a bad copy of the Hi-Power. Most can be had at around $300-350. 

I have three myself. :D

LfK5okz.jpg

Top: Browning MK III

Center: FEG

Bottom: FM Detective Model

Oh man, an Argy detective.....Passed one up years ago at a gun show for $325.... minty no less. pause while I kick my self

I have an original box for it no less that fell into my position when my son bought a FEG, how it came to be shipped in a nice detective box, i'll take it as a premonition yet to be full filled.

Edited by xtriggerman

That one was pure dumb luck. Just happened to be cruising Armlist  a couple of years ago and stumbled across it. The guy had bought it years ago and only fired it a couple of times. Gun was LNIB with all the goodies. Price was $400 and I jumped all over it. The only problem was that it was imported in the late 90s so it came with two 10 round magazines. No biggie, I got lots of Hi-Power mags. :D

Of the three, this one is my favorite. If I were to start carrying a Hi-Power, this would be the one. :up:

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Snaveba said:

A $300 1911 can be as reliable and accurate as a $1000 1911.  I personally don't like GI type guns because they usually have itty bitty sights and limited options for replacing them.  Some would have you believe sights are a waste of time because you will always freak out and point shoot in a self defense situation.  I don't adhere to this idea and want my sights set up a certain way.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 2