Return of the Colt Python

Garufa

10 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Big shoes to fill.

I’m sure the owners of the original Python are glad this is a “redesign”.

This will certainly cause a lot of discussion. :wave:

Glad to see this.  I hope they offer it in the polished blued version.   I won't be buying one but it's good for the market IMO.     I think it will have limited effect on the value of an "original" Python.    

Edited by Trekbike
  • Like 3
18 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

There has already been a lot bickering over if this is going to be any good. I am looking forward to getting one in my hands to see how it feels. 

The original felt like it was made by Jesus himself. I got to fondle one back in the 70's

17 minutes ago, Trekbike said:

Glad to see this.    I won't be buying one but it's good for the market IMO.     I think it will have limited effect on the value of an "original" Python.    

Yea, that’s what I think. Because its different, the original Python will hold value. Also, most younger shooters have never shot a Python and when they do; I would guess they will want to also own an original.

I owned three in the late 70’s early 80’s. They were beautiful guns; but I shot a S&W more accurately. (I was shooting mostly double action) But it was me, and what I was used to; not the gun. Wish I had them back today. (Simply for the value)

Would I pay the price of two 686’s for the new model? No, but I suspect plenty of people will. :)

EDIT: Too bad they aren’t offering the blue. It was really beautiful, and what I would want if I were buying one.

Edited by DaveTN
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

If they have a smooth action and good trigger

My guess is that is the one thing Colt made sure of.   Now whether it's as good as the original, time will tell.   

If it's not, the Colt fanboys are going to be upset just like the Glock fanboys when they found out the BIG Glock announcement was a 22lr handgun...   :)  

I owned 2 Pythons in my days. A 4" nickle which was my duty piece and a 6" in Royal Blue. Sold them both years ago. Brand new back in the late 70"s, paid about $250 and $275. We later were switching to semi autos in which I carried my Colt Mk IV Series 70 Nickle 1911 45acp. 

A fellow just out of the academy loved my 4" Python and begged me to sell it. That was the early 80's. About a decade ago, sold my 6" to a horse vet that lived near the borders of Mexico. Wanted it for, well, you know....

Then the Walking dead drove the prices of them up averaging over $3K  for ones at about 98%... Most youngsters prob never heard of a Python till that show. So bad ass Rick with it and went nutso.

I told my wife, one day I will punish myself and buy a 6" nickle like our buddy has and suck it up. But who was to know that these things would hurdle prices.

So here we are full circle. I'm glad to see it coming back and if it lives up to it's expectations, I think it's obvious that Colt is trying to win its way back into the market and at competitive prices. So, I will buy it. Maybe save $3G. I'm sure my wife won't mind.

Not a snake, but I'd really love to see them come back with the Lawman III, 2" 357. I also sold that to the guy that owned the marina I kept my boat at. Awesome gun as well! If you couldn't hit the enemy, a ball of fire, 4' in diameter, would bind the scum making followup shot easier.... ;)

My original duty holster for the 4" Python.... Kindly referred to as the 'Dangler'..

dangler.JPG

Edited by BHunted
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve never been tempted to pay a premium for one, especially since the prices have climbed so high.  I don’t own guns I won’t shoot, for collection reasons or whatever, so I never saw much point in getting one to just sit in a box.   

I’ll be following the new Python with interest and will probably pick one up.   I also hope the design changes don’t change matters for the worse.   

I’ve recently picked up a couple of Trooper MkIIIs, so my Colt wheelgun needs are pretty much filled for the moment.  

It's a gun that I'd never carry nor hunt with, (since I don't hunt), but when I was young I wanted one pretty badly when I was getting into law enforcement, and I think that's what intrigues me about it now. I wasn't aware that there were 14 trigger parts to even remove from the design to begin with. My first thought was a downer because it's not a polished blue, but then the stainless that they use is stronger, thicker, and corrosion-resistant so maybe one day if the feedback they get is positive.

4 hours ago, ken_mays said:

I’ve never been tempted to pay a premium for one, especially since the prices have climbed so high.  I don’t own guns I won’t shoot, for collection reasons or whatever, so I never saw much point in getting one to just sit in a box.   

I’ll be following the new Python with interest and will probably pick one up.   I also hope the design changes don’t change matters for the worse.   

I’ve recently picked up a couple of Trooper MkIIIs, so my Colt wheelgun needs are pretty much filled for the moment.  

I doubt there will be any issues. If anything, just the trigger. All else is good imho. But if it's as buttery smooth as the orig? I'm good to go. I have no qualms about buying it and It is on my list.... Period.

6 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

If they release a blued version, it won’t be like the blued snake guns of old. To be blunt they don’t have the ability to do that anymore. 

That’s the truth.  I “might” be interested if they could duplicate that sweet old Royal Blue that’s always made this diehard S&W fan drool but there’s no way they can.

Polishing stainless is a whole lot easier and takes a lot less skill than properly blueing guns.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
21 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

If they release a blued version, it won’t be like the blued snake guns of old. To be blunt they don’t have the ability to do that anymore. 

Something about the chemicals being too harsh? 

My understanding is it’s not a skill problem; they all have the skill, including a guy here that did one for me; it’s an OSHA problem.

The bright blue comes out as good as the polish job prior to the bluing. The better the polish job; the better the finish. The extra work, coupled with the high cost of OSHA disposal of chemicals, apparently puts the cost high enough Colt & S&W don’t think buyers will want it. They also can't do it to stainless, so unless Colt offers that gun in steel; no polished blue.

There are refinishers that will do steel; but they ain’t cheap.

Edited by DaveTN
4 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

I have an itch for a 4” as well. 

I've been after a 4" for years until I came across a 6" I couldn't pass up. It was made in 1970 and looks new. The old blue finish is simply amazing.

If the trigger on these compares, I'll add a 4" to the collection.

Edited by bubbadavis
  • Like 2