Well Hell......

I doubt anybody noticed, but I've been missing for a few of days. Been having some health issues.  Christmas morning I woke up with a really nasty pain in my  lower left ribs. Hurt like Hell. I managed to get through it with the help of some left over pain pills I had stashed away. Couldn't get a doctors appointment anywhere until Monday due to the holiday, So I just had to suffer through it.  By Monday, I did feel a whole lot better, but decided to have it checked out anyway. So I go see my GP, he takes an x-ray and then sends me to the hospital for a CT scan. It turns out that what I got for Christmas was a blood clot in my left lung. :eek: The hospital basically shanghaied me and stuck me in a room for 4 days.  Further tests find another clot in my right leg.  Massive doses of IV blood thinners and now I'll have to take yet another pill for the rest of my life. I just got home a couple hours ago. :mad:

Damned thing is that this is the 3rd time I've landed in the hospital in the last 5 months. Now I've had some health issues for years. That's the price of getting older and having beaten hell outta my body for most of my life. Up until now its just been an occasional Inconvenience. Now this crap is gettin' down right bothersome.  Ok, I'll have to make a few life changes. But I'm no invalid and I'll be damned if I'll let a few health problems control my life. I'm still gonna go where I want and do what I want. 

Oh well, don't pay me any mind.  I just needed to vent. Carry on. :rolleyes:

• Wow 1

Thanks for the support guys. I'm well aware how serious this could have been. Back in 2003 my sister threw a clot that got to her brain and killed her. I just never thought I might get one too. But then nobody ever really thinks something life threatening  will happen to them.  Aren't we all ten feet tall and bullet proof? 

The truth is that my overall health is pretty good. Aside from a few everyday aches and pains, for the most part I'm just fine. Nothing really limits me. But every now and then something does pop up to make you realize just how fragile your life truly is. 

Facing one's own mortality is a hell of a thing. Scares the Hell outta you. This is my third time and it never gets any easier. But I refuse to run scared. I plan on hanging around for a very long time yet. I'm gonna go kicking and screaming all the way to the very end. ;)

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Thanks for the support guys. I'm well aware how serious this could have been. Back in 2003 my sister threw a clot that got to her brain and killed her. I just never thought I might get one too. But then nobody ever really thinks something life threatening  will happen to them.  Aren't we all ten feet tall and bullet proof? 

The truth is that my overall health is pretty good. Aside from a few everyday aches and pains, for the most part I'm just fine. Nothing really limits me. But every now and then something does pop up to make you realize just how fragile your life truly is. 

Facing one's own mortality is a hell of a thing. Scares the Hell outta you. This is my third time and it never gets any easier. But I refuse to run scared. I plan on hanging around for a very long time yet. I'm gonna go kicking and screaming all the way to the very end. ;)

Glad you are still with us and back here! I have to echo about 75% of your tale. Never lost a sister, but other family from clots.

Back when I had my first knee replacement in '18, I found that in the pre-op program, one major question was about family history and the possibility of blood clots.

I said that I hadn't but had a grandmother and father who did. 

Stop right there he said. You are going on blood thinners. Evidently any family member with them makes you susceptible to them. I've been on them for about a year and a half now.

Irritating as all getout. Bruise at the slightest pressure. Bleed like the dickens with the smallest scratch. My hands and forearms look like I've been beaten. 

And like you, looks like it's a lifelong pill.

Oh, btw, I guess the doc was being prudent. I did get a clot in my left calf after the surgery.

Maybe they do know what they're doing. lol

Anyway, very glad you are ok.

I'm assuming that you are on Coumadin (warfarin) for the rest of your life. An ER doc once said it's the worst good drug we have. It does it's job but be sure and keep your level checked as instructed so you don't bleed to death or throw another clot. Your diet also is a factor in your PT. Changing your eating habits, especially green vegetables can change your level. It's good to eat green vegetables but be consistent.

28 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

They put me on Xarelto. Works just as good, but no regular testing. I already take a handful of pills everyday. I guess one more won't matter. :rolleyes:

Hang in there ole fox, I'm no spring chicken either with health issues. We'll just tough it out til Hell freezes & skate on the ice, LOL.