Boresnake for gun cleaning

Snaveba

Who has used a Boresnake for gun cleaning and if so, what do you think as compared to traditional cleaning methods? It seems like a fairly easy method to keep the barrel clean, but I wonder how quickly the boresnake gets to dirty to use. 

I use one occasionally when in a hurry if I haven't put many rounds through a rifle. It is not as good as a regular cleaning. When the bore snake gets dirty, you just wash it out with detergent and water.

• Like 2

I am a fan of bore snakes, you do have to do some secondary cleaning with swaps or Q-tips, if you don't do a full tear down. Bore snakes are my primary for barrels, almost never use rods/brushes/patches.

I have several that are overdue for a cleaning but they still do the job. I plan to put some Dawn dish washing liquid in a jar, drop in the snake and shake for awhile then rinse the same way, probably changing the rinse water a couple of times. Mine heavy use snakes may need to passes through the Dawn cycle to get clean.

• Like 1

Boresnakes are great. If you have a lot of build up, soak the barrel first. You cannot put them in dry so it is recommended to spray the brush area and barrel/bore wet before pulling in. It will get stuck if you force it.
My general habits are: I always clean my guns regardless of how many rounds. My boy says I am worse than the Marines, LOL. But it makes keeping them clean much easier. I've used strictly G96 for decades with no issues, no rust and smells like it belongs on a peanut butter sandwich rather than the harsh odor of Hoppes. Hoppes only for stubborn build up which occurs a lot with cheap ammo and a lot of lead bullets.

Get a snake for each caliber. Even shotguns.

I have a snake for just about every caliber I own, they are great. I keep them in my range bag and almost always run it down my bore twice before shooting. I used to carry them in the field, but after seeing a buddy struggle to clear mud that made its way into his bore after he slipped and fell, we have switched over to the Otis style for field use. Most of the bore snakes are too flexible (cloth essentially) to be able to push out an obstruction, while the Otis uses a Plastic coated cable, which when pushed through the confines of the barrel acts rigid like a rod and can push things out with a brush. I don’t recommend the boresnake or the Otis as the only means of cleaning, but do think they are valuable tools for your tool box.

They can be handy in the range bag for a quick swipe during extended shooting (especially with a rimfire), but I think a rod and bore brush and patches do a much better job.  There's nothing like getting clean white patches out the muzzle to know the barrel is clean.  

I don't overly soak the barrel and have no problems so I guess I clean often enough not to be a problem. I use a little G96 on the first part of the snake and on the first set of wire bristles. So far never got one stuck. 

On guns with a mag well I run it up through there and then into the barrel to a little extra cleaning on the way around the corner into the barrel.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Boresnakes are great if you’re lazy but then what happens when you need to clean the thing?

On 1/3/2020 at 10:11 PM, Jeb48 said:

I have several that are overdue for a cleaning but they still do the job. I plan to put some Dawn dish washing liquid in a jar, drop in the snake and shake for awhile then rinse the same way, probably changing the rinse water a couple of times. Mine heavy use snakes may need to passes through the Dawn cycle to get clean.

I use bore snake for a quick cleaning mainly on pistols. They work good but not as good as a cleaning rod. As long as you soak the bore. I also use on rifles and it make cleaning with rods quicker since it takes out a lot of the loose carbon. They will not remove lead or copper as good as a rod.

Yep I'm lazy. I try to give a good tear down cleaning once a year to all the guns that get shot regularly, the rest of the time it is bore snakes, Q-Tips and swabs to get the worst parts cleaned up. Because I'm lazy I don't get to the full tear down on all my guns every year.