Tom Givens New Book

I just purchased a copy of Tom Given's new/old book, "Concealed Carry Class-The ABCs of self-defense Tools and Tactics." 

I did not read the first edition, but the copy I have now has pictures!!! A guy like me, "I lik-em."  

It is a large paperback book 8 1/2 x 11, 272 pages. My sweetie ordered my copy from Amazon and it cost 23.00 after free shipping. 

First 4 chapter titles, out of 30 in the book, 1. Why Carry A Concealed Weapon, 2. Legal Issues In Carrying A Handgun, 3. Appropriate Use Of Force, and 4. Principals Of Personal Defense. Last 2 chapters, 29. Continuing Education, 30. Practice Courses Of Fire.

For a slow to mind person such as I, "I HIGHLY RECCOMEND THE BOOK." Contains very practical and useful information. IMO, worth the time and money. 

• Like 2

Thanks for posting this!

I'm about 2/3 the way through my copy and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Mr. Givens is an excellent instructor and a darn fine person.

I've had the honor, and pleasure, of training with Mr. Givens and always enjoyed the time I was able to spend with him at his facility (at that time ) Rnagemaster in Memphis.

His book "Fighting Smarter" is also a great book. My copy is the older version from around 2003, but I understand there is an updated version, iirc.

I would highly recommend "Concealed Carry Class" for both new shooters and seasoned shooters as well.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
55 minutes ago, Jamie Jackson said:

Thanks for posting this!

I'm about 2/3 the way through my copy and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Mr. Givens is an excellent instructor and a darn fine person.

I've had the honor, and pleasure, of training with Mr. Givens and always enjoyed the time I was able to spend with him at his facility (at that time ) Rnagemaster in Memphis.

His book "Fighting Smarter" is also a great book. My copy is the older version from around 2003, but I understand there is an updated version, iirc.

I would highly recommend "Concealed Carry Class" for both new shooters and seasoned shooters as well.

Good luck finding his Fighting Smarter book. Last time I looked was over $100 used on Amazon. Great book. Wish I hadn't loaned my copy and it never returned. 

Let me give you an excerpt from the chapter on awareness. Tom writes, Awareness and alertness are not, for most people, innate behavior traits. This is a learned behavior pattern, and like most skills is learned through repetition. 

You should have been taught this as a child, but unfortunately, most children are not taught this or other vital social skills. One thousand years ago, all children were taught at a very early age to be aware, alert, and in tune with their surroundings. If they were inattentive, they might get eaten. One hundred years ago, children were taught to be aware and pay attention to their surroundings, or the hay bailer might tear off their arms or legs. In our time, if you fail to pay attention to your surroundings , someone might cut your throat. Each example is simply a different manifestation of the exact same problem. 

On the street, you must be aware of your environment. If you know who is around you and what they are up to, you are in charge. If you don't know who is around you and what they are up to, YOU ARE MEAT. It's that simple.

This book if full of this kind of advice. 

• Like 2
On 1/3/2020 at 2:52 PM, TripleGGG said:

Good luck finding his Fighting Smarter book. Last time I looked was over $100 used on Amazon. Great book. Wish I hadn't loaned my copy and it never returned. 

Ouch! I've had books loaned not returned before too brother. 

It looks like since the closing of Paladin Press many older quality books have sky rocketed in price. If only I had known! :)

@Tiffany Johnson

Welcome back! I have a feeling you may had had an influence into bringing Mr. Givens into a digital format level of technology. ;)

Now, when are we to expect a book from you? I'll pre-order as soon as you give the word. 👍

I always enjoy listening to you on the various podcasts you are on btw.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, TGO David said:

Y'all inspired me to order my own copy.  If the price difference isn't great enough, I still prefer to order paper over Kindle... so my hard copy should be here either today or tomorrow.  :)

I always do hard copy if available. Nothing like a book in your hands. I will admit I have some things in both for convenience. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Jamie Jackson said:

@Tiffany Johnson

Welcome back! I have a feeling you may had had an influence into bringing Mr. Givens into a digital format level of technology. ;)

Now, when are we to expect a book from you? I'll pre-order as soon as you give the word. 👍

I always enjoy listening to you on the various podcasts you are on btw.

Thanks! You're too kind. I'm still working on a magic potion for cloning myself and squeezing an extra 40 hours into any given day... Soon as that's done, I'll get started on that book! 😉 (Although I'd probably make a lot more money just selling the magic potion...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
9 hours ago, Tiffany Johnson said:

Thanks! You're too kind. I'm still working on a magic potion for cloning myself and squeezing an extra 40 hours into any given day... Soon as that's done, I'll get started on that book! 😉 (Although I'd probably make a lot more money just selling the magic potion...)

I wish you great success with both of those endeavors! 🙂

• Like 1

I just finished reading Tom Givens new book. It was my first time reading the new one. It is a great roadmap for someone starting their choice of adding the ability to protect one's life and the lives of loved ones with a gun. It has a lot of good information for the beginner to set goals for productive beneficial training so one will do it with the goal of bettering themselves rather than just going to a range and bustin caps while punching paper and plinking. Also gives good all around advice on how to be aware while we concealed carry, and establishing a proper mindset while gaining the skills to be effective with your chosen tools. Gives recommendation on hardware and selection of one's chosen tools. 

I thought the line he had in it about concealed carry, "You need to realize that when you strap on a gun you may be forced to kill someone with it," (Paraphrasing from  memory) was a very important statement. Goes a long way with cultivating a proper mindset. 

I highly recommend the book, even for old timers because we all need to be reminded of the seriousness of what we do when we carry, and the responsibility we incur because of that very personal decision. We owe it to our families, loved ones, and ourselves, to be trained to use our tools to the best of our ability. Tom said, (again paraphrasing) "When you hold a gun in your hand, you possess the power over life, over death." That is a huge responsibility, and It's not to be taken lightly by any. 

Serious stuff guys, as most of you know.  

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 2