FBI DA Revolver Training

Looks like shooting from prone is much more effective than I thought. I think the officer hit both bag guys with one shot from prone!

I do really enjoy the old school training videos. The style of presentation as well as the differing approach to life and tactics are all interesting to me. Plus, it's fun to think about how our current "state of the art" will be viewed in 50-100 years.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TomInMN said:

Looks like shooting from prone is much more effective than I thought. I think the officer hit both bag guys with one shot from prone!

I do really enjoy the old school training videos. The style of presentation as well as the differing approach to life and tactics are all interesting to me. Plus, it's fun to think about how our current "state of the art" will be viewed in 50-100 years.

Remember, Quantico was built on a USMC base, and the initial FBI firearms training was actually provided by Marine instructors.  Prone has not been part of the last two iterations of the FBI pistol qual.  While it has its place in a military context due to explosive ordnance, it has much less relevance in the domestic US.

• Like 3

Off topic. But after watching several of the FBI and Ayoob videos, I drifted into Hickcock45 again.

Man. I think I lost about 2 hours watching him. Love the guy. 45 and revolver videos today.

Occurred to me today he looks like a friend I lost a few weeks ago. Same lanky frame, long shirts and a worn cap. Even talks a bit like him. Was sort of like listening to Doug again for a bit. I miss you buddy. Hope to meet up again someday.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Moderators
4 minutes ago, hipower said:

TominMN and TripleGGG, not sure exactly what you were reacting to, but I'll take it as good thoughts for Doug. Thank you.

I have went down rabbit hole today on videos today too. Hickcock45 is one of my favorite and always get lost in his stuff. 

Definitely good thoughts for your friend Doug.

• Like 1

Thank you two kind gentlemen. Doug and I went to HS together, played around in college, chased the gals. He went to law school...I didn't.

He was a devoted liberal and save the world from humans guy. We argued a lot on politics and firearms. He was an outdoorsman, hiker, caver, and devote' of the climate change/we're all gonna die from melting icebergs guy.

He was my Best Man. My friend.

Very physical guy, in good shape. Had a massive heart attack on Christmas morning. Me...I'm fat, out of shape, and bad back. Can't walk a hundred yards now.

He wasn't supposed to go before me.

Okay, I guess that's all. Just needed to get it out. Thank you.

• Like 1

I am sorry for the loss of your friend . I've had that happen, I certainly though it never would as I am much older than my bud was. It's tough. My thoughts and prayers for you my friend.

I have rekindled my love of revolvers this past year and tend to shoot one variant or another of a snub weekly. I actually still have my old copy of Mas's Stressfire book from the 80's. I've followed and read Ayoob for a long time and greatly respect the incredible information he shares.

Another gentleman (I've never had the opportunity to train with but greatly respect) that has some solid info as regards revolvers and especially snub revolvers is Michael de Bethencourt. btw...his defensive knife training skills are remarkable for it's particular niche imho.

Here's a link to one of his vids from Snub Training. Revolver use and techniques are still relevant and I hope we don't lose these bits of knowledge through time. Thankfully these gentlemen had the foresight to record some of their teachings.

Another person keeping revolver knowledge alive is Daryl Bolke of Hard Wired Tactical. He's a "been there and done that" kinda guy. Here's a link to a rather long vid (I've listened to this podcast on an mp3 twice now and will probably listen to it a couple of more times). Incredible knowledge here folks! It's worth your time. I promise!

• Like 1