I am so hacked off!

Guest Fenris

;)

Long story short: someone (I suspect a student at my school) got my iTunes info and helped themselves to about $220 worth of stuff charged to my debit card.

I have done all the proper things: cancelled my card, deauthorized all itunes computers, removed CC info from my account and contact iTunes about a refund. I spend an hour at the bank contesting the charges.

The thief did slip up and send themselves, or a buddy, some of the iTunes stuff. I have the email address they used to retrieve their "gifts". I have also contacted that email provider, but it's a big one and don't expect much help.

I tried paying for one of those email address lookups. All they told me was information about the company that provides the email that any idiot could surmise from looking at the email address, so I feel like I got gypped out another $15 for that.

The bank will refund the charges temporarily, but if iTunes says "your computer, you're responsible" then I am out the money.

I also have a few more tricks that I don't want to publicize just yet, but I am hoping I can find the thief. Then I'll let Brentwood PD handle it. :D

I feel like this kid took money from my family and I needed an out of the way place on the net to vent.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked at the iTunes receipts carefully. I now have the times this happened and the two afternoons it happens (that's right, the person came back).

It's gonna be a long weekend. Tuesday we can review the security tapes and see who entered my room during those times.

Update is that iTunes seems to be cooperating nicely, which surprises me. They have promised to return 4 of the 6 fraudulent charges and I think they missed my sending the other two. I sent them again and asked them to look at my download history to verify this isn't my style of music or movies.

Some other....bobbers I've got floating out there haven't had nibbles yet.

On Tuesday the dean of students (a marine colonel. He's awesome) will look at the security video around my classroom about the time of the incident. I would say if the same person is on that footage on both days at the appropriate time, we have enough circumstantial evidence to call a conference.

My bank has been awesome too. Even if some branches don't allow carry. I think my local one does ;-)

I honestly hope it's not one of *my* students that I teach. That would be so disappointing.

Did they do it on your computer, or where they accessing it through a shared server in the classroom? I opened itunes in class the other day to find my professor's music showing up in a folder on the side menu. I'm not tech savvy enough to know if this could be and "in" to the itunes account. I wasn't even aware that you could do that with itunes.

Uhh, Thieves! The most cowardly of all criminals. I had an old trailer my dad had hobbled together over the years stolen out of my yard and some kids that broke in our van to steal about 15 dollars worth of diapers and diaper bags. Just annoying and stupid cause they are likley to eat a bullet if I ever catch them.