Tennessee Stands United Facebook group

A new Facebook group has been formed on December 30th, already almost 5,000 members on their page. It was formed in response to the debacle going on in Virginia. It deals with 2A issues with primary concern right now with getting sanctuary counties on board in Tennessee. Worth a look to see what it's about. Join if you like. They seem to be trying to keep somewhat strict 2A issues on their site without all the political stuff that people like to post on various gunsites.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2756470157748484/

16 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Why is it a private group? I don't understand. :confused:

Also a measure to keep the trolls out.  Believe it or not many anti gun people aren't gainfully employed and spend their time infiltrating groups such as this and then causing disruptions at any live events that the group may hold.  

• Like 4
  • Administrator

I don't put much faith in Facebook as a platform where a 2A entity of any sort can expect to exist without constant fear of the platform being yanked out from under them.  There's a reason why TGO still exists.  :)

My question about that group in general, though, is what are the members actually doing to accomplish anything?  Is it slacktivism where the 99.99% expect the 0.001% to do all of the actual work and won't even bother to call or write their representatives -- let alone actually show up in person, dressed nicely, at a rally or their representatives' offices -- or is it more than that?

I've been part of enough Facebook groups for other non-2A things that my opinion of their value has soured greatly.  If people can't do "it" on their phone, whatever it is... they just don't.  But they'll join your group to "support" you in doing "it" for them... as long as you don't say something that ruffles their feathers.

Just keepin' it real.  I don't have a whole lot of free time or energy to invest in ineffective social-media circle jerks.

Not saying that the group in question is one of those but, without knowing for sure, I am honestly jaded against this sort of thing, from experience.

• Like 2

It's been interesting watching this group.  The entire purpose of the group is to form a committee in each county and for that committee to advocate that their county become formally recognized as a sanctuary county.  A few observations that I've made (thus far, I've only observed and have not participated in any discussions):

- the group has drawn over 15k members in less than a month, supposedly all Tennesseans (impressive!)

- as mentioned the purpose of the group is to increase the number of sanctuary counties. 

- people have an incredibly hard time staying on topic, many members seem to think that the purpose of the page is to overthrow the government. 

- the Fudds are very present.  Reading through comments I just imagine that a good number of these people OC a Hi Point in a nylon holster.

- looking at it from a pragmatic, unbiased position it seems that there is a minority of intelligent, professional people, setting out to obtain a goal in a logical fashion, while the majority of the group mass responds to an intelligent post with something of the likes of "I have an AR-15 that I'm dead accurate with at 100 yards and I'm not afraid to use it."

It's been fun watching it play out. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
  • Moderators
51 minutes ago, 10-Ring said:

It's been interesting watching this group.  The entire purpose of the group is to form a committee in each county and for that committee to advocate that their county become formally recognized as a sanctuary county.  A few observations that I've made (thus far, I've only observed and have not participated in any discussions):

- the group has drawn over 15k members in less than a month, supposedly all Tennesseans (impressive!)

- as mentioned the purpose of the group is to increase the number of sanctuary counties. 

- people have an incredibly hard time staying on topic, many members seem to think that the purpose of the page is to overthrow the government. 

- the Fudds are very present.  Reading through comments I just imagine that a good number of these people OC a Hi Point in a nylon holster.

- looking at it from a pragmatic, unbiased position it seems that there is a minority of intelligent, professional people, setting out to obtain a goal in a logical fashion, while the majority of the group mass responds to an intelligent post with something of the likes of "I have an AR-15 that I'm dead accurate with at 100 yards and I'm not afraid to use it."

It's been fun watching it play out. 

Very accurate observations. 

I think it's a good idea, but like others, I don't FB, have a profile, I assume it's been idle since ought 8.

Regarding HPs in nylon and deadly accurate with an AR...y'all trying to hurt my feelings?

I also like the term slacktivism... remember, is  what you're doing making you feel good or are is what you're doing actually doing good?

My experience is 20% of the client base produces 80% of the business.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Administrator
8 hours ago, 10-Ring said:

Sometimes I really hate being right when I make an assessment of things like this, but... ;)

Image result for farmers we know a thing or two"

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
3 hours ago, Debbie w said:

I like the idea of organizing efforts but a county resolution isn’t going to do what the Constitution can’t. 

True, but the county resolutions send a clear, albeit unenforceable, message to State politicians.  It may (probably will) only strengthen their resolve to infringe as I’m afraid we’re going to see in VA, but they cannot deny or reasonably dismiss that people are standing up.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1

If a person is unwilling to help out even in some small way they have no business complaining when politicians pull their crap-

My son is coworkers with an older fella that piss and moans about all the anti-gun politicians and the stuff they try to enact-but when he was asked if he does anything about it the answer is no.

Do you vote-Naw they don't listen anyways.

Do you belong to any groups like the NRA or GOA-Naw they only want my money.

Do you at least write or call your Representatives-Naw what good what that do.

So I say to this fella-SHUT UP-you have no complaint if your unwilling to help.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, krunchnik said:

If a person is unwilling to help out even in some small way they have no business complaining when politicians pull their crap-

My son is coworkers with an older fella that piss and moans about all the anti-gun politicians and the stuff they try to enact-but when he was asked if he does anything about it the answer is no.

Do you vote-Naw they don't listen anyways.

Do you belong to any groups like the NRA or GOA-Naw they only want my money.

Do you at least write or call your Representatives-Naw what good what that do.

So I say to this fella-SHUT UP-you have no complaint if your unwilling to help.

That's the average gun owner.

But I'm not that person, and me not wanting to join a group on FaceBook has nothing to do with that. 

The content should be available without me having to join a “special group” or have a secret handshake to be able to see it. My trust in FaceBook is Zero. Make the site available without FaceBook being able to put us on a terrorist watchlist. Some people have jobs that could take action against them for something like that.

I’d joined it expecting to see some information that I may miss elsewhere. Checked it today and the page had been “archived” and could not comment on posts. I left the group after seeing this, it didn’t seem to be that much happening that I could see except for a lot of people asking who was in their area. 

54 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

The content should be available without me having to join a “special group” or have a secret handshake to be able to see it. My trust in FaceBook is Zero. Make the site available without FaceBook being able to put us on a terrorist watchlist. Some people have jobs that could take action against them for something like that.

Don't worry, Goggle has already added us to that list...

• Like 1