Snubbie

CBOW

Need some recommendations on a snubbie. I don’t want ultralight and would like something with a concealed hammer. I’ve handled the Kimber K6 and heavier .357 LCR and like them both. Anyone have experience with either? Kimber is quite a bit more money and don’t know if it’s worth it. Both had really nice triggers from what I could tell.

The S&W 640 if you don’t want an exposed hammer, the model 60 if you do. These are all stainless high-quality revolvers. They are .357Mag, but you obviously can use .38 Special.

I’m ready to retire my Model 36 and want to replace it with a Model 60. I’ve carried a J-frame with a hammer for many years. The hammer has never been in the way, but there are times I was glad I had it. The good new is; you can have it either way.

This size gun will have a stout trigger by any quality manufacturer; that’s by design. None of them will be fun at the range.

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

The S&W 640 if you don’t want an exposed hammer, the model 60 if you do. These are all stainless high-quality revolvers. They are .357Mag, but you obviously can use .38 Special.

I’m ready to retire my Model 36 and want to replace it with a Model 60. I’ve carried a J-frame with a hammer for many years. The hammer has never been in the way, but there are times I was glad I had it. The good new is; you can have it either way.

This size gun will have a stout trigger by any quality manufacturer; that’s by design. None of them will be fun at the range.

Or go with the Smith and Wesson 638 and have the best of both worlds.

1 hour ago, CBOW said:

Need some recommendations on a snubbie. I don’t want ultralight and would like something with a concealed hammer. I’ve handled the Kimber K6 and heavier .357 LCR and like them both. Anyone have experience with either? Kimber is quite a bit more money and don’t know if it’s worth it. Both had really nice triggers from what I could tell.

I always loved the looks of a K6 and bought one.  Only loaded it once.  I did not find it a pleasant gun to shoot and sold it.  

58 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Or go with the Smith and Wesson 638 and have the best of both worlds.

I thought the 638 was .38 special only?

2 hours ago, KahrMan said:

I always loved the looks of a K6 and bought one.  Only loaded it once.  I did not find it a pleasant gun to shoot and sold it.  

I thought the 638 was .38 special only?

I wasn’t aware the OP specified a caliber, but to my knowledge, you are correct.

4 hours ago, CBOW said:

Kahrman is the 3rd shooter I know personally to buy a kimber only to not like it and move it on. Couldn't say on the LCR.

Since you specified concealed hammer instead of DAO (internal hammer) like the 640 and dont want lightweight like the 638 (airweight) my suggestion would be a 649. You still have the hammer for single action but its shrouded for no snag carry situations, its stainless so it has the weight , and its 357 so you can shoot either. It's not the cheapest option but having been a longtime stud in the smith stable you should be able to find one used for a decent price.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, FUJIMO said:

Kahrman is the 3rd shooter I know personally to buy a kimber only to not like it and move it on. Couldn't say on the LCR.

Since you specified concealed hammer instead of DAO (internal hammer) like the 640 and dont want lightweight like the 638 (airweight) my suggestion would be a 649. You still have the hammer for single action but its shrouded for no snag carry situations, its stainless so it has the weight , and its 357 so you can shoot either. It's not the cheapest option but having been a longtime stud in the smith stable you should be able to find one used for a decent price.

That’s the ticket! I forgot about the 649.

I will advise that the 357 magnum round out of any j frame is quite a handful.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

I have a LCR .357 I purchased several years ago, and I have been pleased with it. I shoot mostly . 38 special at the range, but if I carry it, I use Hornady Critical  Defense .357. It's not too bad. I did however change the front sight.

• Like 1

You don't want a small frame .357. Trust me on this.  :eek:

I have a S&W 642 that I carry quite often. Its a lightweight J-frame with a concealed hammer and fits your criteria except for being a lightweight. It can be stout with +Ps, but is still very manageable.

I'm also quite fond of the 2 or 2.5" S&W K-frame (medium) revolvers and have several of those. Lots of models to choose from, but most do have spur hammers. But they can be bobbed. ;) These will no doubt be the the most accurate and easiest to shoot. Even in .357 Magnum. But they are a bit on the large size. 

However, my all time favorite snubby is the old Colt Detective Special. Only a little bigger but it gives you six shots and is much easier to shoot well. The new Colt Cobra is basically a new version of this fine old revolver. You can get the Night Cobra with a black finish and it comes with a bobbed hammer. ;)

• Like 4

I had a Gen 2 Colt Agent for a long time. Great little revolver. Regrettably, I traded it away. Today I have a S&W 442 that I carry a lot (IWB). Hides well, but isn’t much fun to shoot with +Ps. I’ve found it really loves the old Federal Nyclads, which are very difficult to find anymore.

K-frame snubs are great,  A 2-inch Model 10 or 64 would be excellent.  Or a 2-inch Model 15 if you can find one.  They're not common.  And if you can find a Model 12 (K-frame Airweight), they shave a good bit of weight.

Cheers,

Whisper

Edited by Whisper

CBOW: just out of curiosity, what's the intended purpose? Carry, home defense, just want one? And why the insistence on a concealed hammer? I've carried many snubbies with spur hammers for years and never had a problem. 

edit to add: Why not an ultra-lite? They aren't that bad with proper ammo. 

Whisper: Model 12s are indeed nice to carry and good shooters.  However, they're now scarce and expensive. Plus they always had on-going problems with the alloy frame cracking where the barrel screwed in. I had one for several years, but was afraid to shoot it for fear of the dreaded crack. I just gave up and sold it. 

Edited by Grayfox54