A Personal Moment . . .

What I have to share may mean little to nothing to most, but please allow me to share a moment in my life.

My dear mother, Frances from Chattanooga, died in November, 2017 after a fall and a TBI.  Mom loved her home in Chattanooga (the only one I ever knew) and she hated leaving it in 2012 after breaking her hip.  Mom moved to Nashville and lived with my wife and me after selling the home in Chattanooga.  Mom was "happy" with us in Nashville, but her heart remained in Chattanooga at the "old home place."  In celebration of her 87th birthday in 2017, we took mom to a cabin in Monteagle where she fell and was life flighted to Vanderbilt.  Their valiant efforts stopped the bleed with no guarantee it would not restart, which it did a week later.  There was nothing more that could be done for a severely ill 87 year old woman.  Mom went to hospice on Thursday and died peacefully on Saturday.  Mom was cremated (her request) and we had a celebration service for her life in late November, 2017.  

In 2018 we spread some of her ashes in Monteagle because she loved the place so much.  Years before her death she wanted some of her ashes spread in the Smokies because we loved vacationing there.  This will occur this week when my wife and I go back to the Smokies for the first time since her death.  At some point we will go home to Chattanooga and spread the rest of Mom's soul at the house she loved so much.  Today I offered some ashes at our home, the last one where she lived. 

I'm not asking for sympathy or sad remembrances.  I am 64 years old and as I look back over my life, all becomes full circle.  I humbly ask that all of you consider the relationships that mean the most to you while they are alive, cherish every moment with the hope that when those times end, you may remember them all with a smile.

Tonight in honor of my Mom, I'm having her favorite drink:  a Screwdriver (vodka and orange juice).  As much as I loved Mom, I always had to make the drinks, because when she made them, they were about 95% vodka and 5% orange juice.

Thank you for allowing me to share.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Admin Team

As I get older, one of the things that impresses me the most is seeing people handle end of life care with integrity. 

It seems like y’all have really honored you mom at the end of her life - and have continued to do that after her passing.

I’m certain she would be so proud. 

• Like 1

Please allow me to offer prayers of love for you all. A few years further back when my Mom was lost. Some similarities in the situation...a fall, moving in with us, declining health.

So my offer of understanding and empathy is a bit of sharing as well. I can hear and feel she raised a good son who has done right by her during and after her life.

Blessing be upon you.

• Like 2

Prayers for you loss, luckyforward. I lost my mother 12 years ago as she slipped from this realm because of Alzheimer's. I hope to join her in the next realm, after my departure down the road, or maybe before tomorrow! . All things are possible with God and Jesus.  Mercy, grace, and peace comes through them. 

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 1