Optic Ready Pistol for my boy's 21st BD

Johnny Rotten

My son hit me up at xmas for his 21yr old BD gift, he wants a handgun but couldn't give me any details other then caliber and size.

He wants

9mm 

Mid to compact size.

My opinion he will not CCW for a few years ( junior in college) but if I buy him a gun I will insist on a CCW permit even "if" he doesn't even use it.

I have been looking at Sig P320RX compact w/romeo1 sight (pkg deal) and FN509.

Any insights about those guns or is there something else I should look at?

Thanks JR

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Johnny Rotten said:

If it has to be a semi-auto, I’d give him my insight about a full size target gun for his application, with an optic, and recommend the M&P C.O.R.E.

It would be a keeper he could use for many, many years to come. He can pick out his own carry gun when that times comes. If he is into guns he will probably either go through a bunch of them, or have a bunch of them.

For compact I like the sig 365 and Springfield hellcat both you can get optic ready. Mid size sig 320, Glock, S&w, or Canik sc. If you go full size kind of the same line up sig, Glock, S&w. I have the Canik sfx in full size with a freedomsmith trigger and really like it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you're most interested in the Sig P320 series? I have two of them, Sig P320 subcompact & P320 X-carry; love them both with never even a hiccup. Some of the Sigs come optic ready, as my X-carry, but you have to be careful selecting which optic you select for it [even in the Romeo optics] for fit and screw alignment. 

I also have the Canik SFX in 9mm, great Turkish made gun overall. There's a problem with some of them like mine, mine will cycle 115 gr. all day long. Anything heavier and have ftf, fte issues but can be fixed with different Glock springs. The Canik is the best buy for the money and has every base plate you need to mount almost any reflex / red dot on the market. It's considered a fully size but I don't have any problems making it concealed. 

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

I have a P320 full size and a P320 carry size. Both converted to .357 Sig. Having extra large hands, what drew me to them was the ability to get frames for different hand sizes. I don't really care for the cheap-looking grip inserts that Glock and the M&P have. Anyway, I've never really had any problems out of them for the few years that I've owned them.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2020 at 12:18 PM, Johnny Rotten said:

My son hit me up at xmas for his 21yr old BD gift, he wants a handgun but couldn't give me any details other then caliber and size.

He wants

9mm 

Mid to compact size.

My opinion he will not CCW for a few years ( junior in college) but if I buy him a gun I will insist on a CCW permit even "if" he doesn't even use it.

Thanks JR

The IWI Masada comes standard with optics ready . There is one for sale on TGO Classifeds right now. It's $420  and in great shape like new . 

Edited by tercel89
adding information

The P320 RX is a nice consideration. Just big enough to support pinky and complete with optics. The optic window is pretty small as you would imagine. I have seen them with a straight trigger and also felt nice. Its on my short list, but have not purchased a sig for quite a while.

On 1/13/2020 at 12:18 PM, Johnny Rotten said:

I'd lean towards the Sig out two listed if it were me.     I know you mentioned carry was not a big factor right now, but you might want to also take a look at the Sig P365 XL with the Romeo Zero.    I have the P365 and really like it.   I have shot the XL with optics and it's a very nice shootable package.   Both can accept the 15 round mags.    I carry mine with the 12 rnd and the 15 as a spare.   

• Administrator

The FN509 MRD is, IMO, one of the best opics-ready fighting guns available these days.  The ergonomics on it are superb, it has very usable front cocking serrations, truly ambidextrous mag release and slide release that both actually work for lefties as well as righties, seriously good grip texturing, and a very rugged optics mounting system that has some real meat to it unlike the rather flimsy Glock MOS mounting plates that are prone to having screws strip out of them due to their thinness.

That would be my vote.