TCA 55-4-110(a)

GlockSpock

• Moderators

The other night I noticed this on a truck in front me me. I recognized it as TN code so I snapped a quick photo so I could look it up later.

The registration plate issued for passenger motor vehicles shall be attached on the rear of the vehicle. The registration plate issued for those trucks with a manufacturer's ton rating not exceeding three-quarter (3/4) ton and having a panel or pickup body style, and also those issued for all motor homes, regardless of ton rating or body style thereof, shall be attached to the rear of the vehicle. The registration plate issued for all other trucks and truck tractors shall be attached to the front of the vehicle. All dealers' plates, as provided in § 55-4-221, and those registration plates issued for motorcycles, trailers or semitrailers shall be attached to the rear of the vehicle.

So, I figure his truck is >3/4 ton and that's why he's doing it that way?

Is there a why other than I can?

spacer.png

• Moderators

I would say your assessment is correct. It looks like a 1 ton dually to me. I would garner that quite a few folks who have 1 ton pickups don’t actually mount their plates according to the cited TCA and quite a few cops are just as ignorant of that bit of law. The second is the reason for the plate. I bet he’s been pulled over more than once for not having the plate mounted in the rear of the vehicle. 

On 1/14/2020 at 12:23 PM, Chucktshoes said:

I would say your assessment is correct. It looks like a 1 ton dually to me. I would garner that quite a few folks who have 1 ton pickups don’t actually mount their plates according to the cited TCA and quite a few cops are just as ignorant of that bit of law. The second is the reason for the plate. I bet he’s been pulled over more than once for not having the plate mounted in the rear of the vehicle. 

Bingo. 

• Like 1

Most law enforcement are anything but legal scholars. I expect this guy was tired of being pulled over and harassed.

I bought a pop up camper from a guy, and he gave me a copy of the law stating you didn’t have to put a tag on a pop up camper. He was insistent that I keep that paper in my truck. I never had an issue, but am willing to bet he did.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, alleycat72 said:

Hard to see it with a trailer on.

I can see that but I’d wager more than half of such trucks have never hauled more that a jet ski or the family down to WalMart.

How’s The Man supposed to run plates before pulling one over?  Assuming they do that.

2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Most law enforcement are anything but legal scholars. I expect this guy was tired of being pulled over and harassed.

Things must be different here, than where I was. Our Traffic Officers knew far more than the defense attorneys; and it showed in traffic court. All the College classes on the vehicle code was taught by cops; not attorneys.

Also, most cops knew more criminal law than attorneys; unless the attorney specialized in that field. Which most don’t coming out of law school.

Many attorneys (not all, there are some good attorneys out there) will give you the answers to legal questions you want. Cops will give you the answers you need.

Its possible he got pulled over by a cop not knowing the law. But other than a rookie, how can a cop not know a traffic law that basic? But hey, maybe the driver will see this thread and fill us in on why he did it, or how many times he has been stopped.

;) carry on.

:)

2 hours ago, Garufa said:

I can see that but I’d wager more than half of such trucks have never hauled more that a jet ski or the family down to WalMart.

How’s The Man supposed to run plates before pulling one over?  Assuming they do that.

Same way he does with a semi. All the big trucks at work run them in the front. Doesn't matter if a particular truck ever runs a trailer. The first thing the the cops going to do is come get all your paperwork and exemptions anyway. The truck isn't registered to me anyway. They have no idea who's driving. Same goes for little dually trucks. We use them as parts runners. Run a part from New York to Kentucky today kind of thing. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Garufa said:

These trucks ain't exactly Cadillacs when they aren't under load so I doubt people buy them and drive them for the giggles of it. When my wife and I decided not to camp anymore and sell our 5th wheel, the first thing I did was go trade my 1 ton for a 1/2 ton. Now I can drive around town comfortably.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, E4 No More said:

These trucks ain't exactly Cadillacs when they aren't under load so I doubt people buy them and drive them for the giggles of it. When my wife and I decided not to camp anymore and sell our 5th wheel, the first thing I did was go trade my 1 ton for a 1/2 ton. Now I can drive around town comfortably.

I work with several people who drive duallys every day because they haul their camper or ATV trailer 50 miles twice a year. I work with at least one person who does drive a dually just because. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, E4 No More said:

Our local high school parking lot is full of them. I guess it's a status symbol among teenage redneck boys.

I think the reason for the law is that a lot of heavy duty pickups are used to  pull trailers, and whether they are pulling a trailer or not, uniformity isn't a bad thing, It would suck to have to relocate the tag every time you hooked or unhooked a trailer.

5 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Our local high school parking lot is full of them. I guess it's a status symbol among teenage redneck boys.

I think the reason for the law is that a lot of heavy duty pickups are used to  pull trailers, and whether they are pulling a trailer or not, uniformity isn't a bad thing, It would suck to have to relocate the tag every time you hooked or unhooked a trailer.

Do you only get one tag in TN, or have to pay for a second one? Why not just put two on and be done with it?

15 minutes ago, peejman said:

I work with several people who drive duallys every day because they haul their camper or ATV trailer 50 miles twice a year. I work with at least one person who does drive a dually just because. 

I should have said that I doubt that many people buy them for the giggles of it.

I camped much more than that. Usually a couple of times per month in the spring and fall. I hated driving the truck and hitting a good bump or depression in the road when the 5th wheel wasn't hooked up. I also didn't like how the back end would walk around on me when traversing a rough cloverleaf. 

Edited by E4 No More
10 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Or it's what their parents give them to drive. I know that my parents didn't give me a choice as to what I drove in high school. :shrug: 

15 hours ago, Garufa said:

That law most likely predates people buying trucks as status symbols or family vehicles too.   

• Like 3
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, TomInMN said:

Do you only get one tag in TN, or have to pay for a second one? Why not just put two on and be done with it?

I’m so used to seeing your name around here posting that I forget that it really does mean you're IN MN. 😂 But yeah, we only get one plate here. So no second plate available for both. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
45 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I’m so used to seeing your name around here posting that I forget that it really does mean you're IN MN. 😂 But yeah, we only get one plate here. So no second plate available for both. 

I'll take that as a compliment!

I interviewed for a job in Murfreesboro once, (It was a great long weekend, I think I ate barbecue 6 times in 4 days.) and my wife and I got married in Gatlinburg (tried to spend more time out of town than in).

If I had to leave MN, TN would be really near the top of the list. Plus, the classifieds on this site are awesome! 😉

Edited by TomInMN
Typo plus additional thought
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, E4 No More said:

Or it's what their parents give them to drive. I know that my parents didn't give me a choice as to what I drove in high school. :shrug: 

I had a choice... Dad said I could drive the POS he provided or I could buy and insure my own POS.  Guess what I chose... 

5 minutes ago, peejman said:

I had a choice... Dad said I could drive the POS he provided or I could buy and insure my own POS.  Guess what I chose... 

I sold my drums and bought my own. My first car cost $50 and insurance was $118.