TCA 55-4-110(a)

GlockSpock

4 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I sold my drums and bought my own. My first car cost $50 and insurance was $118.

$118 per year or month?  I think my insurance was about that much monthly. No way I could afford that and a car on my high school part time job money.  

13 hours ago, peejman said:

$118 per year or month?  I think my insurance was about that much monthly. No way I could afford that and a car on my high school part time job money.  

When I got old enough to drive, my father was driving a Corvette. He leaned that since it was high risk, and me being a 16 year old boy was high risk, he put me as the primary driver of the Vette. I had a 67 Chevy II that would smoke his Vette, yet my insurance was $68 for 6 months. No idea why he was paying for his. I don’t think you could do this in today’s market.

Fast forward to today...I have two teenage boys, and their vehicle insurance looks like a mortgage payment.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
44 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

When I got old enough to drive, my father was driving a Corvette. He leaned that since it was high risk, and me being a 16 year old boy was high risk, he put me as the primary driver of the Vette. I had a 67 Chevy II that would smoke his Vette, yet my insurance was $68 for 6 months. No idea why he was paying for his. I don’t think you could do this in today’s market.

Fast forward to today...I have two teenage boys, and their vehicle insurance looks like a mortgage payment.

Yep, I have two grandsons living with me. I bought an old Jeep Compass for them to drive. Liability only insurance for them is over $5,000 per year.

50 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

4 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

Yep, I have two grandsons living with me. I bought an old Jeep Compass for them to drive. Liability only insurance for them is over $5,000 per year.

Heres something to think about... car insurance is on the car, not the driver. If you borrow someone's car and wreck it, their insurance covers it, not yours. You might be a nice guy and pay their deductible but the owner of the car is responsible. It's possible their insurance company could sue you for the damages.  

Depending on the details of the auto policy and how frequently they use the vehicle, you may not need to pay the absurd rates for kids.

1 hour ago, peejman said:

Heres something to think about... car insurance is on the car, not the driver. If you borrow someone's car and wreck it, their insurance covers it, not yours. You might be a nice guy and pay their deductible but the owner of the car is responsible. It's possible their insurance company could sue you for the damages.  

Depending on the details of the auto policy and how frequently they use the vehicle, you may not need to pay the absurd rates for kids.

The way that I understand it is that comprehensive coverage follows the vehicle whereas liability coverage follows the driver. That's why if there is a lien on the car the lien-holder isn't out the money if you loan your financed vehicle out to someone and they wreck it. The liability coverage covers the damage to another person's property.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
9 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

The way that I understand it is that comprehensive coverage follows the vehicle whereas liability coverage follows the driver. That's why if there is a lien on the car the lien-holder isn't out the money if you loan your financed vehicle out to someone and they wreck it. The liability coverage covers the damage to another person's property.

This was my understanding as well. The driver carries liability while the car carries the comprehensive coverage. 

3 hours ago, peejman said:

It is my understanding that the kid has to be assigned as the primary driver of a particular vehicle. Supposedly the one he drives most often. If the need to file a claim arises, I don’t want any crap about said kid not being assigned to the correct vehicle.

On 1/17/2020 at 11:18 AM, Chucktshoes said:

This was my understanding as well. The driver carries liability while the car carries the comprehensive coverage. 

I just asked my agent about this. He said that the total coverage follows the vehicle; not the driver.

• Like 1
On 1/17/2020 at 12:48 PM, gregintenn said:

It is my understanding that the kid has to be assigned as the primary driver of a particular vehicle. Supposedly the one he drives most often. If the need to file a claim arises, I don’t want any crap about said kid not being assigned to the correct vehicle.

From my insurance agent: "Remember if you loan the kids the vehicle insurance follows the vehicle so your autos are covered but we do need to get them added somewhere if they have regular access to the autos"

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

From my insurance agent: "Remember if you loan the kids the vehicle insurance follows the vehicle so your autos are covered but we do need to get them added somewhere if they have regular access to the autos"

.... because we make lots of money when you add them... 

15 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

I just asked my agent about this. He said that the total coverage follows the vehicle; not the driver.

When I asked my State Farm Agent if someone else was covered if I let them drive my vehicle, he told me that if they had a wreck; their insurance would kick in first, if they didn’t have insurance, mine would cover it.  

• Like 1
10 hours ago, DaveTN said:

When I asked my State Farm Agent if someone else was covered if I let them drive my vehicle, he told me that if they had a wreck; their insurance would kick in first, if they didn’t have insurance, mine would cover it.  

My Grandson's insurance did not cover my vehicle when he was in a wreck in March 2019. My insurance (Allstate) took the complete hit. He did have insurance on his car at the time. My agent said it followed the vehicle.

50 minutes ago, Miltech said:

My Grandson's insurance did not cover my vehicle when he was in a wreck in March 2019. My insurance (Allstate) took the complete hit. He did have insurance on his car at the time. My agent said it followed the vehicle.

What would the agent have said if grandson had never had any auto insurance?

Since this conversation has turned into insurance; I’ll add this. there are insurance state laws, but insurance companies have wide leeway in what they put in your contract. I’ve never read mine word for word all the way through and I bet most people don’t.

When I worked traffic, most people were surprised when I told them the Police don’t determine fault; insurance companies, and in rare cases the Courts are who determine fault. The fact that a person did/did not get a ticket had very little bearing on what the insurance companies decided.

People got really ticked when an accident report wasn’t required and we wouldn’t do one. They would be adamant that we take a report and ticket the other driver. :slapfight:

Traffic was a terrible job. (For me)

Wife worked in insurance. It follows the vehicle, not the driver. It's what they call permissive use if someone else is driving.

You're paying to insure your vehicle. It doesn't matter if your cousin wrecks it. Your insurance is still going to be the one paying out. Him having or not having insurance doesn't make any difference that I'm aware of.

10 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Wife worked in insurance. It follows the vehicle, not the driver. It's what they call permissive use if someone else is driving.

You're paying to insure your vehicle. It doesn't matter if your cousin wrecks it. Your insurance is still going to be the one paying out. Him having or not having insurance doesn't make any difference that I'm aware of.

Dude, if you have children with a driver's license, they'd damn well better have their name on an auto policy somewhere.

15 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Dude, if you have children with a driver's license, they'd damn well better have their name on an auto policy somewhere.

Not according to my insurance agent.

Why do you suppose that the state now automatically checks license plates to an insurance database? They are relating a specific vehicle to an active insurance policy, not drivers.

37 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

If they drive to work or school every day, yes. If they occasionally need to drive somewhere, maybe not.  

I presume you're thinking that not telling them is fraud. I'd be curious to see any case law that provides some guidance as to what frequency of use distinguishes between normal and occasional use. 

3 hours ago, gregintenn said:

3 hours ago, E4 No More said:

Not according to my insurance agent.

Why do you suppose that the state now automatically checks license plates to an insurance database? They are relating a specific vehicle to an active insurance policy, not drivers.

2 hours ago, peejman said:

If they drive to work or school every day, yes. If they occasionally need to drive somewhere, maybe not.  

I presume you're thinking that not telling them is fraud. I'd be curious to see any case law that provides some guidance as to what frequency of use distinguishes between normal and occasional use. 

If you do a search, you will see that whether or not you have to put your kid on your policy depends on your policy and the state you are in.

Tennessee law requires that the driver of a vehicle be insured. But that still doesn’t mean they have to be listed on your policy. You would need to check your policy to see who is covered, other than the named policy holder.

Or simply call your agent and ask. I see my insurance agent as I do my financial advisor, my Doctor or my Lawyer; I have to trust what they tell me is correct, or I have to find a new one.

7 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

If you do a search, you will see that whether or not you have to put your kid on your policy depends on your policy and the state you are in.

Tennessee law requires that the driver of a vehicle be insured. But that still doesn’t mean they have to be listed on your policy. You would need to check your policy to see who is covered, other than the named policy holder.

Or simply call your agent and ask. I see my insurance agent as I do my financial advisor, my Doctor or my Lawyer; I have to trust what they tell me is correct, or I have to find a new one.

I have asked the agent. That's why I commented.