Question about the "new" permit, then changing to "enhanced."

I figure someone here will know. Had a customer that came in that fell for the new permit deal. Now that he knows it's only good in TN, he wants to get the good one. Since his other permit is in process, is he gonna hit any stumbling blocks to get an application number to take the class and get the real permit?

Are there some states that are accepting our HCP that won’t accept our CCP?

My guess will be that he won’t hit any stumbling blocks, but that he will pay the full amount. But that just a WAG. Let us know when he finds out.

Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
3 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Are there some states that are accepting our HCP that won’t accept our CCP?

Yes. A not insignificant amount actually. That number grows as more states look at out CCP and the differences between it and the HCP. 

11 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

This is not accurate. It is accepted by a fair number of states, but that number is shrinking. 

https://www.handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdf

Everything I see on there is about the Enhanced.  I am skimming because I'm at work. I don't see anything stating the info we were told is that it is TN only is incorrect

Edited by Steelharp
  • Moderators
31 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

Everything I see on there is about the Enhanced.  I am skimming because I'm at work. I don't see anything stating the info we were told is that it is TN only is incorrect

It is up to the other states, not TN to determine if the CCP is accepted in their state. So there is no way for someone with the state of TN to say it’s only for use in TN. The states on that map that are in tan have stated that they will only accept the enhanced. The ones in blue accept the enhanced and either do or have not explicitly stated they do not accept the CCP. It’s going to take a while for it all to shake out where it will be accepted nationwide. 

It isn’t straightforward, it isn’t clear, but it IS par for the course with our state legislature. 

• Like 1

There will be a number of states that will honor the Tennessee Concealed Permit. There will be some who will only honor it for those 21 or older. Then there will be some that will only honor the Tennessee Enhanced. Time will tell and www.handgunlaw.us is looking into this and hoping in the future to have a listing of states that will honor the TN Concealed. I will tell you that the info TN puts out is pretty good. https://www.tn.gov/safety/tnhp/handgun/apply.html

There is a problem On their reciprocity listing though. They state that WV doesn't honor their permit if they are under 21 which is true. But they also state WV only honors Resident permits. This is false. That was stricken from WV statutes a dozen years ago.  This is my home state and I have talked directly to those in WV who are in charge of this in WV.

What the permit holders of TN need to do if they want to know what states will honor the Concealed Permit is contact your Reps and Sen in the state and have them pass a bill or even just talk to the TN Highway Patrol and have Them contact every state that honors TN and ask them if they will honor the Concealed Permit.  Idaho does this every year for their two year permit system.  This is something that benefits Tennessee Residents who have the Concealed Permit. Government is there to assist the Citizens when they need help so this should be something they help with. They are also in position to get something in writing from the other states that will answer a lot of questions.

Stay Safe, Gary Slider

Co-Owner/Researcher www.handgunlaw.us                                                                                                                                                                    

Edited by Gary Slider
  • Like 2
7 minutes ago, Gary Slider said:

There will be a number of states that will honor the Tennessee Concealed Permit. There will be some who will only honor it for those 21 or older. Then there will be some that will only honor the Tennessee Enhanced. Time will tell and www.handgunlaw.us is looking into this and hoping in the future to have a listing of states that will honor the TN Concealed. I will tell you that the info TN puts out is pretty good. https://www.tn.gov/safety/tnhp/handgun/apply.html

There is a problem On their reciprocity listing though. They state that WV doesn't honor their permit if they are under 21 which is true. But they also state WV only honors Resident permits. This is false. That was stricken from WV statutes a dozen years ago.  This is my home state and I have talked directly to those in WV who are in charge of this in WV.

What the permit holders of TN need to do if they want to know what states will honor the Concealed Permit is contact your Reps and Sen in the state and have them pass a bill or even just talk to the TN Highway Patrol and have Them contact every state that honors TN and ask them if they will honor the Concealed Permit.  Idaho does this every year for their two year permit system.  This is something that benefits Tennessee Residents who have the Concealed Permit. Government is there to assist the Citizens when they need help so this should be something they help with. They are also in position to get something in writing from the other states that will answer a lot of questions.

Stay Safe, Gary Slider

Co-Owner/Researcher www.handgunlaw.us                                                                                                                                                                    

Thank you, sir. Your response is greatly appreciated.

(The part I put in bold is an oddity, however. 😂)

15 minutes ago, Gary Slider said:

What the permit holders of TN need to do if they want to know what states will honor the Concealed Permit is contact your Reps and Sen in the state and have them pass a bill or even just talk to the TN Highway Patrol and have Them contact every state that honors TN and ask them if they will honor the Concealed Permit.  

They already do that.

What the permit holders of TN need to do if they want to know what states will honor the Permit they have is contact, or look up the information, on the states you want to know abouts web sites.

Unless you are standing in Tennessee; no one cares what the Tennessee web site told you. Not trying to be an azz, but if you are going to carry a gun in another state; you better know the laws of that state.

I travel to another state to shoot a lot. If I had a dollar for every time I have seen someone post information on this forum, that was wrong, about the laws of that state; I could buy a high end gun. :)

Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 1

Yes you should know that laws of other states. That is the reason www.handgunlaw.us exists. You also need to know what states honor your permit. There are states that don't put out that info. They will list states they have reciprocity with but won't list the states that honor their permit. I have been told over the years at least 100 times that I list states X honoring state Y and that is false as state Y doesn't have an agreement with state X.  Washington State AG states on his website: 

To gather this information, we send out an annual survey to each state. As we obtain updated responses, we revise the list of reciprocal states and their laws.

They only list 10 states they have reciprocity with but 25 states honor the Washington permit. They don't tell their residents that.  The CA AG doesn't even tell California residents that 24 other states honor the CA perm,it. There are a lot more like that, TN should do the same for their residents as they are in position to get something in writing.   Many states are making a fortune on what they charge to get a permit they can at least tell those who are supporting their gun divisions who honors that permit.  

Stay Safe,

Gary Slider

Edited by Gary Slider
  • Like 2

Use to but dropped TN when the Military qualification was passed that included 18-20 yo.  That is the concern regarding the new CCpermit.  Hopefully all states will be as diligent as Nebraska when evaluating the new permit situation.  Some are likely to use it as an excuse to drop us altogether.

Edited by chances R
  • Like 1

I personally think the new permit is not a good idea. Showing some proficiency at shooting a stationary piece of paper gives the instructor some idea if the student can hit the broad side of a barn. Also, I wonder if the online class goes into details about common sense laws about using deadly force? There was a guy in GA that is charged with felony murder for shooting and killing a teen for stealing his cellphone. If I'm not mistaken, you don't have to take a class to get a CCW in GA. Just go to the courthouse, fill out some paperwork and if your BG check comes back clean you get your permit. I think all states issuing a permit to carry a gun should at least give some legal perspective on the use of deadly force in their state so that applicants know some basic rules. Most places you can't shoot someone over stolen property. If a person doesn't know that then they will be in for a rude awakening if the do. Am I wrong for thinking that way?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1