Rock bottom value of a Garand

• 11 months later...

As others mentioned the scope is about 1/2-2/3 of that $350 if you flip it. You may actually turn a profit selling the rest for parts at the next gun show. 

As for Garand value for a shooter, I did drive down to Anniston and bought one of the refurb $650 Garands this last fall. Worth every single penny. New barrel, re-parkerized, new re-pro walnut stock set with CMP stamp. New-old stock sling, nice CMP case. Springfield with a Korea War era serial (having done a tour in Korea this kinda spoke to me). Looks like a brand new issue Garand. As I wanted something to shoot and take to the ocassional competition it was the perfect choice. Right at $1000 out the door with 2 cases of new manufacture M2 ball, some accesories and the documentation/fees, I cannot complain. 

So, if you are wanting a project, the $350 is fair, if you want a new-ish Garand to love on for many years, make the road trip down to Alabama. I am sure you convice others here to join in to split the gas costs.

Edited by DO-TN
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, joe reynolds said:

What did they cost? 

They were still  asking $2500 and up for a "sportered"  Johnson 1941. A company called Winfield bought a lot of Johnson rifles in the 50's and 60's I think, and sported a lot of them. Some were really sported, with Monte Carlo stocks with cheekpieces and so forth. Fancy blue jobs, drilled and tapped for scopes, etc.

Edited by Quavodus
  • 1 month later...

Definitely more than $350 in parts there. Especially if some of the parts are the harder to find manufacturers. I remember driving up to the CMP North store to pick out a Garand from all those racks. I stood there for a while in awe. Think I paid about $350 +- back then. The good old days. 

• 1 year later...