Input Requested: Long AR for Long arms

bmoorelive

Good morning! I got some exciting news from my fiance that she would like to buy me an AR style rifle for my birthday, which is tomorrow. I'd love some feedback from other tall guys, with long arms (physiological arms), or short guys with long arms. I do not have to make a decision by tomorrow, and the budget is about $850. I'd like to stay within that budget on something decent out of the box, and not do many modifications. My fiance showed me a picture of a M&P Sport II OR Magpul MOE M-lol Crimson Trace Model #12939 and said her friend picked it out, but wanted to show me first before buying it, and let me pick something else if I didn't like it.

I simply do not have the time, or knowledge to do the work. And cleaning... I love not cleaning my Glock 19.   

As for me, I'm 6'5 tall, and have a wingspan about the same as my height. My neck is long, like an ostrich, but less hairy. 

The challenge for me has been finding the right fit ergonomically. Most rifles have felt really uncomfortable to shoot because of having to have my arms pulled too close to my shoulders, and having to turn my head and twist my neck to get to the sights. 

What I have shot, or "tried on" at the dealers:

Ruger AR556, Colt, M&P Sport, Daniel Defense DDM4 V7, Sig M400. Some others: Ruger Mini 14 Stainless. Although I haven't shot it yet, The DDM4 V7 felt like getting a hug from the prettiest girl in school. I need to stick within the $850 budget though to make the fiance happy. I know It may be wise to add my own money on top of the $850, but this needs to be a gift to me from her, not from us to me. I may get the Upgrade later. 

The mini 14 stainless steel felt the best on me other than the DdM4. I like the idea of less urgency to clean the gun. I'm seeing prices new are over the budget but used looks viable. 

I appreciate anyone's input. Thanks! 

3C737405-E803-4B72-96A1-52D07DE9C531.png

BFBE17D2-D599-46FB-B205-52C4EBB53050.png

Ruger's Minis are totally different animals that really only share a cartridge with ARs.

If you want a longer LOP than you've found on ARs so far, try to find one with a fixed rifle stock. If your fiance is quite a bit shorter, and you're planning to share, the adjustability of the carbine stocks can be nice.

And as @peejman mentioned, spacers can be helpful.

• Like 2

If you like the feel/LOP of a more traditional rifle like the mini 14 but like the AR platform you could try something from flightlite.  Not certain on the retail $ of these nor do I have any experience with them just throwing out an option.  Otherwise I agree with Tom, fixed rifle stock is going to get you the longest LOP possible.

https://fightlite.com/rifles

• Like 1
8 hours ago, peejman said:

You've already done the best thing... go to a well stocked store and see what fits and what doesn't. Most AR pattern rifles are going to be the same. You can add butt pads to increase length of pull if necessary. 

Peejman,

Thanks for the feedback. I'd love to take another step and rent and shoot them, but I'm afraid that my fiance will change her mind if I don't jump on it quick.

8 hours ago, TomInMN said:

Ruger's Minis are totally different animals that really only share a cartridge with ARs.

If you want a longer LOP than you've found on ARs so far, try to find one with a fixed rifle stock. If your fiance is quite a bit shorter, and you're planning to share, the adjustability of the carbine stocks can be nice.

And as @peejman mentioned, spacers can be helpful.

TomInMN,

Good point on the adjustable stock, so she can shoot it. Might be a good idea to "get" what she wants to get me, and I'll just "let" her use it. In that case, maybe I would consider a base model Ruger AR556, or M&P Sport. I have not yet looked at Anderson, Aero, PSA, Wyndam. 

They make extended butt pads and strap on cheek pieces for ARs. An AR is pretty much an AR as far as fit goes.

I am about average height, but have an AK with a thick recoil pad on it to increase length of a pull. Those Chinese fellas are pretty slight of build.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, bmoorelive said:

TomInMN,

Good point on the adjustable stock, so she can shoot it. Might be a good idea to "get" what she wants to get me, and I'll just "let" her use it. In that case, maybe I would consider a base model Ruger AR556, or M&P Sport. I have not yet looked at Anderson, Aero, PSA, Wyndam. 

If you do get a carbine with adjustable stock, you might be able to add an inch or so of butt pad and still get it to fit her at the shortest length while also fitting you at the longest.

This kind of idea:

https://magpul.com/extendedrubberbutt-pad-0-55.html?mp_global_color=118

1 hour ago, TomInMN said:

Probably the same one wearing the pants in most outfits. We really gotta form a union or something...

Just to answer the question from GregginTN, I'm not wearing any pants. She bought me this sweet LL Bean robe, so i just walk around in it. She goes to work, bosses around a hundred employees, and comes home to me in my robe. Before she gets home, I get to go to Target, yoga, and hang out with the other "moms" at the pool. So, I'm pretty grateful to be offered $850 to go buy a gun.

• Haha 4
15 hours ago, bmoorelive said:

TomInMN,

One more point on the above in bold, she wants you to get a gun that you like. So do that, for sure. But with some planning (and question and answer time here) you can also get something that will be easy and pleasant for her to use. It sounds like you understand the importance of that, so you're already a step ahead of lots of guys in that regard.

If you're open to a used gun for this particular purchase, I'm sure the folks here would be happy to chime in on anything you're considering.

• Like 1

I’d look at Colt, BCM, FN, LMT, POF and maybe even LWRC. You might be able to find something for $850. I’d look online for a deal. Mlok rail would be a nice feature as well.

For the money these Ruger MPR’s seem like a pretty good deal. Cold hammer forged barrel, two stage trigger, muzzle device, mlok rail and magpul furniture for $580.

https://grabagun.com/ruger-ar-556-mpr-5-56mm-blk-18-30rd.html

https://ruger.com/products/ar556MPR/specSheets/8514.html

Edited by Ahitchc4
  • Like 1
On 1/17/2020 at 7:43 PM, gregintenn said:

Who’s wearing the pants in this outfit?😀

I ain’t saying a damn thing. I think I mighta got semi permission to get my Unicorn Rifle, from my wife, on Saturday! A .357 lever action!!! 😁

If you go through Knoxville, you might want to consider stopping at Harvey’s, off Merchant Drive. He usually has a bunch of ARs, both new and used.

Edited by Moped
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, bmoorelive said:

Do any of you have the Springfield Armory Saint? A dealer handed me one today, and it started speaking to me. 

If you like the furniture, go for it. Without spending a whole lot more money, you're not really going to get a significantly better rifle.

ARs are essentially just variations on the same theme (different furniture, gas system lengths, et al) with makers building to the same essential spec, often times with parts sourced and rebranded (or not) from the same manufacturer.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Moped said:

I ain’t saying a damn thing. I think I mighta got semi permission to get my Unicorn Rifle, from my wife, on Saturday! A .357 lever action!!! 😁

If you go through Knoxville, you might want to consider stopping at Harvey’s, off Merchant Drive. He usually has a bunch of ARs, both new and used.

That lever action looks fun! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TomInMN said:

If you like the furniture, go for it. Without spending a whole lot more money, you're not really going to get a significantly better rifle.

ARs are essentially just variations on the same theme (different furniture, gas system lengths, et al) with makers building to the same essential spec, often times with parts sourced and rebranded (or not) from the same manufacturer.

As a potential newby to the AR platform, it was interesting to experience a "feel" when holding the various rifles. For example, the ruger ar556 and the m&p spot felt less "sturdy" or "tightly constructed" as the Saint. The Sig M400 seemed to be the best constructed, in my ignorance. I've got a habit of overthinking a purchase, however, if the different brands are interchangeable, then I would want to be discerning about which brand and model to begin with. I'm sure after shooting whatever I buy, and then shooting others, I'll start obsessing about swapping things out. I did read to just shoot a 1000 rounds or something with what I get before doing any changes. Like my mom said when i bought my first house "don't buy furniture yet, just sit there for awhile and see what finally sticks and fits". 

• Like 1

thanks for all your input, to TominMN for letting me wear him out with questions while he made suggestions. I ended up going with this one ( Smith & Wesson M&P15 SL MOE FDE )because it felt like a good deal. I could have spent many more days/nights obsessing about more options. I'd like to focus on getting a decent light, and maybe a vertical grip. Any suggestions? Honestly, and embarrassingly I zip tied a cheap j5 tactical light to my mossberg shockwave 20 gauge and it has held up through shooting at the farm, and lights up the house well. For the AR I'd like a real mount and a budget light that can handle the bang.  I have a cabelas rolling hard case that locks up but it is huge, and too many locks to get it out. What do you guys with l