What was your first car?

Erich

I am betting there have been some really great cars that ran thru our hands.

1965 Buick Wildcat.  Nailhead 401

Bought for $400 from a little old lady my mom knew.  Fun, but dangerous in the hands of a teenager.  Use to tick my brother off to no end it was faster than his 73 Roadrunner. Had a real problem with right rear wheel tire wear though.

• Like 2

1980 Cadillac Coup de Ville (yeah I am not as old as some of you old farts. 😁)

I missed buying a collector quality 1969 Chevy Malibu when I bought my next one 2 years later. Probably would have killed myself in it. Ended up with a late 80's crap brown Pontiac 6000 for about the same cash.  I drove the wheels off of that car.  

1963 Mercury Comet  4 door sedan with the screamin' 170 CID straight six cylinder engine and automatic transmission.  :D  

It had belonged to an Aunt of mine who had had a minor wreck in it. The car sat out in the open at my Grandparents farm for over two years. I gave her $30 for it. A new battery and it fired right up. ;)

I scoured the junk yards and came up with a hood and right fender. The bumper wasn't too bad and I managed to bang it back out. My neighbor worked at the Ford warehouse and found me a brand new grill for it.  A $29.95 Earl Schibe paint job in midnight blue and I was ready to go! :up:

It wasn't fast or fancy. But man we had some good times in that buggy when I was a teenager. :D

I do believe that this car was what put me on the road to becoming a mechanic. :up:

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 4
40 minutes ago, Raoul said:

68 VW Beetle. Followed by a POS 69 MGB. At least when I told my dates that the MG had broken down I wasn't lying.

You know, I first read that as you trying to avoid going on the date. I thought, "Man! Poor young @Raoul really shoulda done a better job picking them!"

Then I realized you were taking about prolonging the date...

• Haha 1

First vehicle I drove was our 76 Chevy van, two-tone green. Great for a teenage boy's self esteem.  🙄   And all that stuff you're thinking about a mattress or hot tub in the back....  yeah, no.  

The first car I bought myself was a 98 Saturn SL2.  Great little car, fun with the 5-speed. Wish I hadn't sold it. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, peejman said:

First vehicle I drove was our 76 Chevy van, two-tone green. Great for a teenage boy's self esteem.  🙄   And all that stuff you're thinking about a mattress or hot tub in the back....  yeah, no.  

The first car I bought myself was a 98 Saturn SL2.  Great little car, fun with the 5-speed. Wish I hadn't sold it. 

My Dad had a shag carpet, moon window silver 60's van that needed fixed up. At 14 I started talking about fixing it to drive...  mysteriously my Mom decided it needed sold...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1958 Buick that I paid 95 bucks for when i was 15, lol.  It was a tank!  Rode like a boat too.  My mom was gracious enough to let me drive her 68 Mustang on most dates though.  Big difference in those cars, lol.  Despite showing off and driving way too fast in her mustang (it had a 289 high performance engine with a 4 speed tranny)I never wrecked it.  The buick was another story.  It was huge and hard to maneuver in tight spots.  Cleaned out a bunch of ditches with that beast.  Only thing I ever did to it was put in gas.  Oh and eventually had to wire the doors shut because of damage, lol.  Used to have to slide in like the dukes of hazard!  Then traded in in on a pimp mobile, a 69 Cutlass Supreme convertible with a three-speed Turbo Hydra-matic 350 tranny.  Wasnt really a muscle car, but it was hot and it could run!

• Like 1

1959 chevy, 4 door, inline 6, plywood floor in the back because of rust through. The horn would blow if I pushed the parking brake which I found out at 1am in a girls parents driveway. Not a good way to discover that. What should I expect for $115?

Man, I'm thinking I got ripped off paying $400 for my Buick

42 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

My Dad had a shag carpet, moon window silver 60's van that needed fixed up. At 14 I started talking about fixing it to drive...  mysteriously my Mom decided it needed sold...

spacer.png

• Haha 1
  • Admin Team

I found it for sale down in Florida under a tree - my dad loaned me the $1500 I needed to buy it, and I worked all summer long to pay him off and get that thing back in good running order.

I still miss that truck.

Things I don't miss - having to yell at your date to have a conversation and continually smelling like exhaust.

I'd straight out buy another truck with kick vents though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1