What was your first car?

Erich

• Authorized Vendor

1955-Chevy-Nomad-e1415040630138.jpg55 Nomad....was our family car new in 55. In 59 Dad bought a new car and kept the 55 for work. It '65 I bought it from Dad for $300...still only had 60K on it. I kept it till 71. Sold it cause being deployed in the military all the time I never got to drive it much. Damn I loved that car.

Edited by Grand Torino
  • Like 8
15 hours ago, MacGyver said:

1977 FJ40.  Man, I loved that old truck.

Same.

Bought it for $2300  from  Toyota in Franklin summer of ‘86. If I could just go back and put it in a barn before I wrecked it the first time......

i have owned an FJ40 ever since.  

• Like 1

1970 Chevrolet Nova (4DR) :D it was awful, but that ole 307 got me back and forth until I was nearly 17 and had saved enough working to buy a 77 Thunderbird our local town bank had repoed. Bucket seats - 351 .. LOVED that car! 

Edited by Kimber451911

I bought a 1958 Ford with a in line 6 cylinder with a straight shift, 3 speed on the coelom transmission.  I kept it for 2 years then purchased a 57 Chevy convertible which I sold for 300.00 cash when I went on my senior trip to Southeast Asia in 1966. Man, what a dummy!  

After Vietnam, I treated myself to a brand new 1968 Olds 442, with a 400 cu in engine and 4 in the floor, bright red. Only car I ever owned that would switch ends, if you dropped the clutch, and held the wheel straight, in a mall parking lot. It would run....Then I got married in 1970......this coming March, will be 50 years of wedded bliss. 

Edited by pop pop
Add Content
  • Like 3
16 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I still miss that truck.

Things I don't miss - having to yell at your date to have a conversation and continually smelling like exhaust.

I'd straight out buy another truck with kick vents though.

Not the best date car for sure. And my wife still complains I “smell like the cruiser” i.e. exhaust and unburnt fuel, every time I drive it.

However, I high school my friends all wanted me to drive because the top was always off. 

I had that one almost through college before she sacrificed herself in an almost head on collision in 1994  to save a buddy and me.

Bought the next one (‘78 FJ40) out of a garage in Memphis in ‘96 and still have it. 

FC98F4FA-0232-4C88-BEE6-0A806B946755.thumb.jpeg.948932b86880a411f72f5ede16e63d96.jpeg

Edited by Snaveba
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, Snaveba said:

Not the best date car for sure. And my wife still complains I “smell like the cruiser” i.e. exhaust and unburnt fuel, every time I drive it.

However, I high school my friends all wanted me to drive because the top was always off. 

I had that one almost through college before she sacrificed herself in an almost head on collision in 1994  to save a buddy and me.

Bought the next one (‘78 FJ40) out of a garage in Memphis in ‘96 and still have it. 

FC98F4FA-0232-4C88-BEE6-0A806B946755.thumb.jpeg.948932b86880a411f72f5ede16e63d96.jpeg

Nice! Never had a 40, but bought and 89 FJ62. Loved and miss that old wagon! 

• Like 1

First car was a 1974 Gran Torino

800a84bae78b4081957f0b8e9b4764f60cf0f011

With the 460 CID 32 valve V-8

460-4V-Engine.jpg

A week after I got it I was clocked by the THP doing 121 mph.  Luckily I had let off and was coasting up hill when he peaked the hill coming at me.  I always wondered how fast I was going before I let off.  Great ride until I let a friend barrow it and proceeded to total it and 2 other cars.  No injuries, just 3 dead cars.

2nd ride was a 1982 Datsun 4X4 King Cab.  In case your not old enough to remember the Datsun name, vehicles exported by Nissan between 1958-1986 were identified as Datsun.

17350ad9d34cfdb3db33f927f8288831.jpg

Edited by MP5_Rizzo
kant tipe
  • Like 2

My first was a '78 Fiat Spider 2000.

British racing green with tan interior and top.

I thought I was cool.

It was less so, cooling fan electrical gremlin.

Then a '70 Cadillac Sedan de Ville, 74 Mercedes 280, 88 Audi 80, 68 deVille, 68 Mercedes 250SL (I was cool) 83 Mercedes 300SD, 93 Saab 900, 94 Cherokee, 99 Pathfinder, 05 Dodge 1500, 99 Town Car, 15 Fusion, 17 Fusion, 17 Fusion and currently the 12 GLK 350.

Car I drove in High School was my mom's 1964 Rambler American, 3 on the tree.

First vehicle that I owned was a 1964 Ford Econoline Van, 3 on the tree.

First "New" vehicle was a fully loaded 1974 Chevy Blazer that was $5306.00 out the door, took 2 yr loan, paid off in less than 1. Those days if one had to extend his car loan to 3 yrs there was talk that they were in financial trouble, times have certainly changed....

Edited by AuEagle
  • Like 1

1982 Mazda RX-7

1990 Mazda Miata

1995 Nissan Maxima (rare manual transmission)

2003 Mazda Protege 5 (the only brand new car for me ever and last to finance)

2003 Subaru Outback LL Bean H6 3.0

2006 Nissan Pathfinder 

2004 Lexus Lx470 

2007 Toyota Tundra 

Well, I cannot compete with all the goodies I see here. My first car, not titled to, but given by the family; was the 1962 Ford Galaxy 4 dr that Dad bought from the county in early 1963.

The car was a late delivery, ordered for the county sheriff. Equipped with the 390 Thunderbird 4bbl and a little better suspension than stock. It was called the Interceptor Package back then I believe. Instead of a plain jane, no trim car. the vehicle was a Galaxy 500 XL. It had carpet, floor mats and chrome trim. County exec said it was too expensive, but Ford Dealer refused to take it back. So an auction for it.

Dad heard about it and went to the auction. Don't know that I ever heard or knew what it cost, but if mats, carpets and chrome trim mad it too much for the county to accept...it sure must have been cheap. lol

I do know that old beige beauty would smoke the tires, and I had to buy a few for it. 

I'd love to have it back these days too.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

You should have kept that 470! 

It was an amazing vehicle for sure.  240k miles when I sold it and it was smooth as silk on the highway and great over nasty roads.  The Tundra is a better tow vehicle for our camper though.  The wife has a Gx470 so we still have an SUV with the 4.7.  

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, JReedEsq said:

It was an amazing vehicle for sure.  240k miles when I sold it and it was smooth as silk on the highway and great over nasty roads.  The Tundra is a better tow vehicle for our camper though.  The wife has a Gx470 so we still have an SUV with the 4.7.  

I'm a fan of the 4.7L. Not the most powerful V8 but they run forever. I've seen 3 documented Tundras with the 4.7L hit 1M miles. The GX's are starting to come down in price and I may scoop one up at some point.

60's Fiat 850 Spider that was hotter than a $2 pistol. My Dad got it from a guy that worked at the record label that he worked with. The guy was a "mob guy," I had a wreck, took it to the body shop, it had been 7 different colors and didn't have number that wasn't burned off, lol. BUT, it had tags because "Tookie" had connections.

• Haha 2
On 1/17/2020 at 4:19 PM, tacops said:

Very first of many cars and trucks was a spotless 1964 Chevy Impala 4dr, 283 V8, auto, P/S, factory below dash A/C.  It only had 28K miles on it and still had the clear plastic seat wrap on it when I bought from a little grandma for $300 in 1975.  First day I drove it to school all the rich kids were razzin' me about while standing next to their Trans Ams, 280Zs etc.  I just said "Yeah, but Daddy didn't buy mine."  I never heard another word about it.  Other memorable cars that I wish I still had included:

• 1976 L82 Corvette
  • 1967 Catalina 2+2 Tri-Power, 4spd., 428 CI, NASCAR production.
  • 1975.5 455 Super Duty Trans Am, 4 speed. Mid year production, very limited numbers.
  • 1970 Cougar XR7, 351 Cleveland convertible.
  • 1965 Mustang 2+2 Fastback, 4-speed, 289
  • 1955 (Late) GMC stepside.
  • 2006 Mustang GT
  • 2007 Mustang GT
  • 1970 Mustang Mach 1, 351 V8, auto.

Making this list brought back a lot of memories and surprising, I never wrecked any of them.  I have had many other vehicles but these were my most enjoyable.

Would like to have my 56 Ford truck and 72 Nova SS back. Maybe the 77 Triumph Spitfire.

On 1/18/2020 at 1:45 PM, hipower said:

Well, I cannot compete with all the goodies I see here. My first car, not titled to, but given by the family; was the 1962 Ford Galaxy 4 dr that Dad bought from the county in early 1963.

The car was a late delivery, ordered for the county sheriff. Equipped with the 390 Thunderbird 4bbl and a little better suspension than stock. It was called the Interceptor Package back then I believe. Instead of a plain jane, no trim car. the vehicle was a Galaxy 500 XL. It had carpet, floor mats and chrome trim. County exec said it was too expensive, but Ford Dealer refused to take it back. So an auction for it.

Dad heard about it and went to the auction. Don't know that I ever heard or knew what it cost, but if mats, carpets and chrome trim mad it too much for the county to accept...it sure must have been cheap. lol

I do know that old beige beauty would smoke the tires, and I had to buy a few for it. 

That 390 4bbl would flat out run, especially the Interceptor pkg. Remember it quite well..

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Grunt67 said:
On 1/18/2020 at 1:45 PM, hipower said:

That 390 4bbl would flat out run, especially the Interceptor pkg. Remember it quite well..

My wife's first car was a Galaxy 500 that had a 428 HiPo engine in it. The engine was a beast and leaked oil like a sieve. I found it odd that they'd put an engine like that without some version of posi-traction differential. The car would absolutely roast the passenger side rear tire.

Edited by E4 No More
  • Like 2

Man, I'm so jealous that you guys got to be teenagers over here!

I traded a Vespa P125 for my first car, back in England, in '91

1977 Fiat 127. Arsehole brown & everything. 900cc of god-awfulness. Flat out at 60 & the damn heater didn't work. I freaking hated it.

FIAT-127-2385_15.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
9 minutes ago, robtattoo said:

Man, I'm so jealous that you guys got to be teenagers over here!

I traded a Vespa P125 for my first car, back in England, in '91

1977 Fiat 127. Arsehole brown & everything. 900cc of god-awfulness. Flat out at 60 & the damn heater didn't work. I freaking hated it.

Sorry man, that is bad. In 1975 I had 900cc of god-awful bad assery, but this is the form it took. I hated it when it was stolen. :)

hcvf1ak.jpg

• Like 1