What was your first car?

Erich

14 minutes ago, robtattoo said:

Man, I'm so jealous that you guys got to be teenagers over here!

I traded a Vespa P125 for my first car, back in England, in '91

1977 Fiat 127. Arsehole brown & everything. 900cc of god-awfulness. Flat out at 60 & the damn heater didn't work. I freaking hated it.

FIAT-127-2385_15.jpg

You should be ostracized just for posting something so ugly! :) 

Turned 16 in 1971, bought a 1966 Opel Kadett LS for $400. A lot of money back then for a teenager working at Micky Ds. But when you think of it being only 5 years old, that be liking buying a 2015 car today. Did inflation really get that high!? Man, that was a bargain after all! :)  ... link below is even the same color. Glory Days. LOL

https://www.etsy.com/listing/218457399/1966-buick-opel-kadett-car-continental

Edited by 221 Fireball
  • Moderators
46 minutes ago, 221 Fireball said:

Turned 16 in 1971, bought a 1966 Opel Kadett LS for $400. A lot of money back then for a teenager working at Micky Ds. But when you think of it being only 5 years old, that be liking buying a 2015 car today. Did inflation really get that high!? Man, that was a bargain after all! :)  ... link below is even the same color. Glory Days. LOL

https://www.etsy.com/listing/218457399/1966-buick-opel-kadett-car-continental

A lot more than inflation happened to car prices. I can’t think of many 2015 cars one could buy for $2525.01 which is the current equivalent of your $400 in 1971 after inflation.   

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

A lot more than inflation happened to car prices. I can’t think of many 2015 cars one could buy for $2525.01 which is the current equivalent of your $400 in 1971 after inflation.   

This reminds me. What's up with your Scout you bought?

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

This reminds me. What's up with your Scout you bought?

I had to abandon the project. It was just too much, and not the right time for me to take it on. I traded it and a little cash for a 93 F150 that actually works instead. I like old crap. New vehicles just aren’t my thing. I am looking for an early 80s Porsche 944 as a fun project car though. 

53 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I had to abandon the project. It was just too much, and not the right time for me to take it on. I traded it and a little cash for a 93 F150 that actually works instead. I like old crap. New vehicles just aren’t my thing. I am looking for an early 80s Porsche 944 as a fun project car though. 

Those 944s are getting expensive as folks  are getting them and swapping in small block V8s. My next door neighbor had one and sold it several years ago for way too little. He did not realize the value until he started dating his current girlfriend who’s family is all into Porsches.  

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

Those 944s are getting expensive as folks  are getting them and swapping in small block V8s. My next door neighbor had one and sold it several years ago for way too little. He did not realize the value until he started dating his current girlfriend who’s family is all into Porsches.  

They can still be found pretty reasonable, but I believe that window is closing. I personally have no interest in an LS or other V8 swap, just want something fun, sporty, and older. 

First car was as a HS senior in 1969.  It was a total POS 1963 Rambler.  Can't even remember all the things on that car that did not work.  (At least it had fully reclining seats for woodsies!)    After graduation, a buddy and I shot up the doors with a rifle, a la Bonnie & Clyde's last car.   Sure got a lotta funny looks driving that heap around.

A four year old 1984 Ranger with only 68k miles, BUT it was a hard 68k miles.  It served as my neighbor's first work truck in their newly formed HVAC company and they were the type to change the oil every 10k whether it needed it or not (and this was before synthetic was common).  Gave $1000 for it.  2.0 4 cylinder with a one barrel carb and a 4 speed made 71 hp.  When I got it that was maybe 51 hp.  Had to change the third spark plug every three months due to using oil.  I was always nervous around auto inspection smog test time, but it usually passed.  Replaced some front end parts and the bias ply tires and it was like a new vehicle.  It was a beater, but I was very thankful for it.    

Edited by deerslayer

My first car was a 1967 Pontiac LeMans Sprint OHC 6 cyl. 4 bbl.  It cost me $825.00.  Purchased it in my Junior year of High School in 1971.  The picture is pretty much what it looked like with the Cragar wheels.

Edited by The Legion
  • Like 1
On 1/21/2020 at 12:22 PM, robtattoo said:

Man, I'm so jealous that you guys got to be teenagers over here!

I traded a Vespa P125 for my first car, back in England, in '91

1977 Fiat 127. Arsehole brown & everything. 900cc of god-awfulness. Flat out at 60 & the damn heater didn't work. I freaking hated it.

FIAT-127-2385_15.jpg

I guess I'm odd because I like it. 

Be evil as he!! with a hayabusa engine in it :)

6 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

I almost had a Vega Wagon as one of my cars. Reminds me of it. Dad always talked of putting a big block V8 in the rear of it. lol

I have a 79 malibu wagon sitting in the garage now. I've bid on several Vega's,Monza's,Gremlins and Pacers only to lose out to drag racers with deeper pockets. Shame too, not near as many left on the road nowadays

1 hour ago, The Legion said:

My first car was a 1967 Pontiac LeMans Sprint OHC 6 cyl. 4 bbl.  It cost me $825.00.  Purchased it in my Junior year of High School in 1971.  The picture is pretty much what it looked like with the Cragar wheels.

13932779-1967-pontiac-lemans-thumb.jpg

Always wanted a LeMans/GTO. One of the "better families" in town bought a their son a LeMans Blue 67 GTO automatic as a HS Junior. Everybody, including me, wanted to get hold of it. 

But Mike was the only guy I knew at school that wasn't interest in the car for the power or street racing! To him, it was just a car to drive. Smart guy I guess. But it sure was wasted on him.

I've always thought the 67 GTO to be one of the prettiest cars ever built.

2 hours ago, The Legion said:

13932779-1967-pontiac-lemans-thumb.jpg

It finally sank in. I knew something was puzzling me about your post.

OHC6 with a 4bbl? Don't think I ever ran across that. Any comments on it you'd care to make?

For a six cylinder this car was surprisingly fast.  I would race 326 GTO's and was able to keep up with them or beat them.  Nobody believed it was a six cylinder until they looked under the hood.  I really miss that car but my second car was a 68 Charger RT.  I wish I had both of those cars today.  The picture below is very similar to the Charger I owned.

Edited by The Legion
56 minutes ago, The Legion said:

....I would race 326 GTO's and was able to keep up with them or beat them.

my second car was a 68 Charger RT.  I wish I had both of those cars today.

Goats had 389's and 400's, the 'Lemons' had the wee poncho 8. But no doubt that 6 was top of the heap for its kind. 

Cars we wish we still had. That could be its own thread. Crazy to think what these cars sold for at their low points. I almost picked up s 66 Charger RT, but at the time I didnt like its look compared to the sexy lines of 68's. Of course today, I'd probably take a 66 over a 68 just because they are different.

Maybe that's the thread, cars we almost bought?

Edited by Erich
7 minutes ago, Erich said:

Goats had 389's and 400's, the 'Lemons' had the wee poncho 8. But no doubt that 6 was top of the heap for its kind. 

Cars we wish we still had. That could be its own thread. Crazy to think what these cars sold for at their low points. I almost picked up s 66 Charger RT, but at the time I didnt like its look compared to the sexy lines of 68's. Of course today, I'd probably take a 66 over a 68 just because they are different.

Maybe that's the thread, cars we almost bought?

And 455's later. Not sure I ever heard of a Pontiac 389 being a 'lemon'.

Edited by superduty