Walther Q5 Match with Vortex Venom

SRST51

Hi all. Recently started becoming interested in the reflex red dots and bought the Walther Q5 Match and mounted a Vortex Venom on it. I took it out to the range on two occasions now along with a few other 9mm of mine. 

First, about the pistol:

- Great striker fired pistol. I own dozens of guns and only two are polymer, this and my Springfield XDS 3.3. I have shot many, however. Best striker trigger out of the box that I have fired. Granted it’s not my Kimber Aegis Elite but that’s not expected. 

- Nice balance in my hand. Comfortable grip. 

- Holy muzzle flip. Not an issue for slow shooting but follow up shots take some work. 

- Flawless operation out of the box. Can’t say that about a lot of new guns I’ve purchased in the last year sadly. (Looking at you Ruger and S&W)

The sight mounted easily with the number one plate included with the Walther. It came with three different mounting plates. 

I had been practicing dry fire and presentation with the sight and find the dot very easy to find. No issues with “searching”. While this is my first sight of this nature, I do have a rail mounted Browning Red Dot on two Buckmarks.

I used the sight in “auto” mode and found the brightness very good for the range I visit. It was easy to zero in. 

Shooting with the dot:

I shot this gun today along with my Beretta M9A3. At close range I found my Beretta much easier to group nicely and tighter. Close range is 5-7 yards. 

Beyond that, out to 25 yards, is where I saw the huge benefits on the dot. It improved my accuracy tremendously compared to the open sights of the Beretta (a gun I have tens of thousands of rounds experience with). My goal is to continue practicing speed and accuracy with the optic mounted pistol at the closer ranges. My confidence at longer ranges has gone through the roof with it!

ED71AC20-F967-41FB-BF8B-D1A8F64B43D0.jpeg

Edited by SRST51
  • Like 1

Thanks for the feedback. I will put the rear sight plate back on and do a comparison as I am not sure. Some other reviewers felt the muzzle flip was pretty high as well. It’s the only negative so far about this gun. And that’s saying a lot from someone who typically is an all metal snob. 

I do like the flexibility of keeping both eyes open, and having the target in focus. For the longer range shots it really allows me to focus on trigger control etc. Overall a really cool gun to shoot and cool to look at.  I have all the guns I “need” so this one is purely a fun range toy. Plus it has given me some cool points with my kids! 😂

• Like 2