Home Protection Shotgun

Guest VolMickey

Guest VolMickey

Thinking about investing in a home-protection, tactical shotgun rig. If I were to build one out, what would be a good, solid (yet economical) shotgun to use a base? I've heard Mossberg 500s, Remington 870s, etc. Just curious...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest truthsayer

I own Benellis and Remingtons. I can't speak for the Mossy because I've never owned one. I put my life in the hands of them every time I lock my handguns up.

Edited by truthsayer
Guest coldblackwind

I have an 870, and a 500, and my friend has a 590, my choice would be the 590. Has the good points of the 500, but is built more solid, and is an absolute pleasure to shoot. Plus, whats more intimidating than a 12 gauge shotgun that mounts an m16 bayonet?

Guest 70below

I like the 870 for two reasons, the incredible amount of aftermarket parts (new and used), and that is what I've trained on and am comfortable with. My dad had a Mossy 500, and it always just seemed less than sturdy to me......but it has withstood the test of time.

Guest Battzglock

I have owned the Mossberg 500 and 590A1..even an old Maverick that was a LEO buddies trunk gun...they were fine on all accounts.

I got my first 870 30 years ago last week...a Wingmaster Deluxe version.....I still have her... if I had a dollar for every round that has been through that shotgun I could retire...comfortably. There has never been one single problem.

I have owned several 870s over that 30 year period.....for rabbitt hunting, quail hunting and duck hunting....I think the 870 is the best all around shotgun you can get.

For the house I built my own up......ever seen a Scattergun Technologies 870? They were based here in Nashville and were bought up by Wilson Combat...who is still turning out variants.

I started with a base 870 Magnum HD 18" IC, added a two rd. Wilson tube extension w/ support w/ integral sling slot and a metal heat sheild. Changed the pump to a smaller, ribed tactical version. Put on a sidesaddle for extra rounds along with a jumbo head safety and a high-vis neon green follower and a Wilson magazine spring. I've considered adding Ghost Rings but personally have no need for them.

With this set up I have a compact, proven, reliable scattergun for the house....that packs 13 rds. on board. It is an excellent set up that cost a fraction of what Scattergun 870s do.

I am sure there are those who have a long term relationship with Mossberg, Benelli etc...and they are fine shotguns...my 30 years just happens to be with the 870.

Edited by Battzglock

I've owned both and much prefer the 870. 870 design allows for extended mag tube. 500 does not. I'd suggest finding an old 870 (not express) cutting the barrell to 18.5" and add a speedfeed IV stock. finish it out witht the oven bake parkerize and you'll be set. I run this setup and like it a lot.

i personally prefer the 870 as that is what im used to

for pump shotguns the maverick 88 is very economical but still plain jane. the mossberg 500 is better than it and along the same lines quality wise as the remington 870 express. the remington wingmaster and the police magnum are better and along the same lines of quality as the mossberg 590, which are the two best as far as pump shotguns for home defense are concerned IMO (590 and 870 police).

good semi autos are usually in the $800-1000 range so i dont think that is considered economical

Guest mustangdave
The Benellis are good, but expensive. The Remington 870 is reasonably priced, and as another poster stated, parts are readily available.

I guess it depends on what you call expensive...I got my Bennelli Nova Tactical for $400...most of the 870 Rems and 500/590/930 Mossy's I looked at were in excess of $500 retail. I made the Bennelli purchase thru a private party

I have owned the Mossberg 500 and 590A1..even an old Maverick that was a LEO buddies trunk gun...they were fine on all accounts.

I got my first 870 30 years ago last week...a Wingmaster Deluxe version.....I still have her... if I had a dollar for every round that has been through that shotgun I could retire...comfortably. There has never been one single problem.

I have owned several 870s over that 30 year period.....for rabbitt hunting, quail hunting and duck hunting....I think the 870 is the best all around shotgun you can get.

For the house I built my own up......ever seen a Scattergun Technologies 870? They were based here in Nashville and were bought up by Wilson Combat...who is still turning out variants.

I started with a base 870 Magnum HD 18" IC, added a two rd. Wilson tube extension w/ support w/ integral sling slot and a metal heat sheild. Changed the pump to a smaller, ribed tactical version. Put on a sidesaddle for extra rounds along with a jumbo head safety and a high-vis neon green follower and a Wilson magazine spring. I've considered adding Ghost Rings but personally have no need for them.

With this set up I have a compact, proven, reliable scattergun for the house....that packs 13 rds. on board. It is an excellent set up that cost a fraction of what Scattergun 870s do.

I am sure there are those who have a long term relationship with Mossberg, Benelli etc...and they are fine shotguns...my 30 years just happens to be with the 870.

I need Pictures!!!!!!!

• 2 months later...
Guest VolMickey

So I picked up a Remington 870 Express Tactical with the breacher barrel. Wicked-looking and shoots great. Added a side-saddle and waiting on the sling I ordered. Also, swapped out the recoil pad for a better one from Remington - I can be a bit of a pansy about recoil. Very cool.

I'll post pics later -- here's the link to Remington's product page: Model 870™ Express® Compact Shotguns

Guest Dean_JC78

Moss is great. Personally I went with the Benelli M1 Tactical but was willing to shell out some cash for it.

I would also suggest the Saiga shotgun, you can get them for a fair price and its a solid firearm. But the Moss or Rem is a great choice just the same. The sound of that pump action might solve your "problem" before a shot ever need be fired.