PSA killing it at SHOT Show

Chucktshoes

• Moderators

PSA dropped a couple of big bombs at SHOT. First is that they are introducing a striker fired polymer pistol compatible with most 3rd gen Glock parts for $299 for the base, $350 for one with a threaded barrel, optic cut, and suppressor height sights. 
mlYF7DG.jpg

In addition they, have announced that the PSA5, their MP5 clone, will be out this year. Projected price is not finalized, but still expected to be below $1200. This places it several hundred below it’s nearest MP5 clone competitors, and over $1500 lower than the just released HK SP5. 
mqIHj04.jpg

I swear, I’m not a paid spokesman or anything, but I am excited to see these product releases. PSA is really making some major moves right now that can have some serious market impacts with regards to pricing. 

• Like 9
  • Moderators
9 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

They are making their own firearm that will use Glocks parts?

Essentially, yes. Considering the explosion of “Gucci Glock” manufacturers doing similar things in the last couple of years, my guess is that certain Glock patents must have expired to allow this.

It appears to me that instead of going high end Gucci, PSA is staying within their wheelhouse and going the opposite direction to bring to market an affordable pistol built on a proven platform. 

It’s a genius move if you ask me, the built in aftermarket support has got to be massive right out of the gate. 

• Like 2
  • Moderators
9 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

That MP5 clone looks like a ton of fun.  

If it really does come in at that price point and is reliable, it is going to steal huge market share from everyone else in the MP5 game. I know I’ll go that way to scratch my John McLane itch. 

• Like 3
  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I'm not really interested in a Glock clone. At $300 I just just about buy a used Glock trade in. Maybe I'm not understanding the benefits in addition to price. What am I missing? 

It’s going after Canik and Ruger Price point and leveraging the Glock aftermarket. 

• Like 3
  • Admin Team
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

I will admit that their online experience is a lot better their physical store in SC. When I visited it was underwhelming. 

I think this is actually a feature in their case - not a bug.  

In 2020, I think you have to make a choice - either you optimize for brick and mortar or you optimize for online.  PSA's store seems to be a holdover from their pre-online days, and is more of a convenience to their local customers.

I can think of some stores that were like this in the catalog days - the old Brigade Quartermaster store in Kennesaw, GA was really underwhelming when you went in - even though they could get you anything in the catalog if you asked.

I recently had a similar experience walking into the new Duluth Trading store down in Franklin.  Mind you, I think they've pivoted a bit in their model, but I was underwhelmed in their store - and used to love getting their catalog.

The alternate example might be SMKW.  They historically really optimized for retail and knew they'd get $20 out of everyone who walked through those doors.

I'm sure there are cases of companies that do both well - but I sure can't think of any off the top of my head.

• Like 2

The PSA Glock stuff...meh.  Though, I know they'll get revenue from it, to me, it's not worth it to deviate from established Glock quality unless you're trying to go TGODavid style at tricking out your Glock.

Now the PSA5 has my attention.  That's going to be quite a fun range toy, and a great gun to let people see shooting can be fun.  They must be seeing how well the CZ Scorpion and Sig MPX are doing in the 9mm PDW realm.

Seeing both offerings are positive signs that an industry player can still be adaptive at a reasonable price point for the average consumer. 

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Now the PSA5 has my attention.  That's going to be quite a fun range toy, and a great gun to let people see shooting can be fun. 

The H&K MP5 is only cool because it a submachine gun. A Semi-auto clone is not cool. :-\

Why would shooting a neutered MP5 at the range be any more fun that shooting an AR Pistol or an AR rifle with much more capability? :confused:

If someone is shooting and they don’t think its fun; I really doubt this will change their mind.

• Confused 1
13 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

The H&K MP5 is only cool because it a submachine gun. A Semi-auto clone is not cool. :-\

Why would shooting a neutered MP5 at the range be any more fun that shooting an AR Pistol or an AR rifle with much more capability? :confused:

If someone is shooting and they don’t think its fun; I really doubt this will change their mind.

Who peed in your corn flakes....😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Moderators
10 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

You can’t properly LARP as John McLane if you can’t do an HK slap. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
6 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

Who peed in your corn flakes....😂

No one. There will be a handful of people that like anything, and I’m not saying they shouldn’t make it. But that’s a $500 Kel-Tec PLR (only the PLR being a better caliber). Not a $1500 weapon. If I’m missing something; please fill me in. What’s the application for this?

32 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

So then why are CZ Scorpions and SIG MPX's near universally loved?  It's not about capability, it's about enjoyment.  I used to take my ex-girlfriend shooting a good bit.  She fired my short barreled AR a few times, and told me she didn't like it.  She shot my GSG 522 and loved it.  She also enjoyed pistols, just not my VP9 because of the way I have the grips set up.

I have a hunch something like that PSA5 will be gangbusters with younger folks and women...exactly who we need to get into shooting.  Whether it be through how maligned it's been in the media, or just plain disinterest, the AR platform just isn't for everyone, especially in those demographics.

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, btq96r said:

So then why are CZ Scorpions and SIG MPX's near universally loved?  It's not about capability, it's about enjoyment.  I used to take my ex-girlfriend shooting a good bit.  She fired my short barreled AR a few times, and told me she didn't like it.  She shot my GSG 522 and loved it.  She also enjoyed pistols, just not my VP9 because of the way I have the grips set up.

Are they fun/loved without a brace?

3 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I'm not really interested in a Glock clone. At $300 I just just about buy a used Glock trade in. Maybe I'm not understanding the benefits in addition to price. What am I missing? 

If everyone sells a can of DR PEPPER at $3, you’ll pay $3 no matter what. If the guy down to road starts selling them at $2 you can either adapt or watch him outsell everyone ten to one. Eventually everyone will sell it at $2 to $2.40. 

PSA has always given great value to try and make prices better for everyone. That is the owners mission statement. They have sacrificed their own resale value to achieve this. PSA has always put out good quality, low priced items. Not CHEAP items. 

This introduction is another bite in the market that is needed because Glock has always given less for more. Plastic sights, plastic guide rods, no safety means less parts - yet they charge you more while Smith & Wesson has given you stainless guide rods, steel sights, and safety options (also metal) on guns for less $ this entire time. 

PSA is about to make things better for everyone, even if you don’t want one. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, tercel89 said:

I'm wondering what the roll pin near the front top of the trigger guard is for . There isnt one there on Glocks.  

I’m thinking that might help hold in the front rail block or whatever it would be called.  For $300 I doubt you’ll get steel molded into the frame like a Glock.

That’s how an M&P is put together.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Point one. I loved the video! Hilarious! I had to watch it twice.

Point two. I love the "slap" on my Scorpion.

Point three. People will buy the pistols and the MP5 clone. Why? Price. Not everyone can afford a 600+ pistol. Yes, I know MSRP vs retail, but still hits darn close to 600 for a Glock. And my Scorpion, well to be honest I'm in it pretty deep with HB parts and SB stocks, but still we're looking at 1200+ for one. Unless you get one of the very good deals on one here. lol

But really, price will get more buyers. Buyers equals more shooters. More shooters hopefully will mean more aware citizens, and a continued life as we know it. Crudely put, but I think you get the idea.

As for me, the 2 pistols interest me. A lot. Yep, I got Glocks, but others as well. So another 9...why not. Been giving some thought to the PSAK's as well. And the PSAK9 is just drool worthy for me.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Garufa said:

Are they fun/loved without a brace?

Perhaps not. No echo his point, my AR never leaves the safe while by MPX gets shot regularly. 

I'll bring it to the range when we go. Thinking week after next if you're free. I'll PM you and Mac.

• Like 1