Tube TVs

A.J. Holst

4 hours ago, A.J. Holst said:

I have 3 that need to go.

Who will still take them?

We've hauled off a tube TV and a couple of window unit AC's to the Knoxville Waste Management Facility on Elm Street,

They are a curious bunch with tons of restrictions, rules, and regs, but one of the only options locally I know of my friend.

I'll try and link some info below.

Crazy world isn't it?

Mike's suggestion has merit imho. Someone I know might have done something similar...maybe...;)

1033 Elm Street
Knoxville, TN 37921
Office: 865-215-6700

http://knoxvilletn.gov/cms/one.aspx?portalId=109562&pageId=200230

Last tube model I had was a console unit. Got industrious/crazy with it. Removed all the guts and made a strange looking stand for the first flat screen I bought. As screen sizes got larger, I found the stand not to my liking anymore. It finally got knocked apart and sent to the dump with other wood products.

The tube? What tube? No stinking tubes around here. lol I had an accident moving the parts. And well...they sorta got swept up into a big trash bin.

Edited by hipower
3 hours ago, KahrMan said:

If you are in Nashville Meteo runs some dumps where you can throw them away for $6. 

I've been told the Trinity lane location takes them and electronic devices.

From my experience, the location off Two Mile Parkway, near the Cumberland River, is pretty restrictive on the amount of stuff you brine, the type of waste materials, and dump prices were pretty high. But my last contact with this location was almost 2 years ago.

2 hours ago, mikegideon said:

My last one went into the trash can. It took a hammer and reciprocating saw.

That was basically the fate of my 55" rear projection tv.  I "disassembled" it (what couldn't be unscrewed was beat apart with a hammer) to get it out of the house and hauled the big pieces off to the dump.

Edited by Garufa
  • Moderators
28 minutes ago, frankmako said:

goodwill took several from me last summer.  they were happy to get them.  they onlt want working tv's.

KARMs here will only take if TV is 5 years old or newer and not a big tube TV. Said they won't sell and can't get rid of them. 

Got rid of my last glass computer monitor before we moved 5 years ago, I had it stashed with a bunch of other old computer gear. Took it all to a local place that took electronic stuff for recycling filled a couple of their bins. They charged me $5 for the glass monitor, everything else they were happy to take for free.

6 hours ago, A.J. Holst said:

Thanks for the recommendations, seems a shame the parts have no value to anyone, excluding 3rd world scrappers.

Not really.  When's the last time you saw anybody looking for one of these?  There have been hundreds of millions of these old TV's scrapped in the last 20 years or so, and many of them were not capable of receiving the digital signals of today.  It's roughly analogous to the old analog telephones, millions were made and they have no use today, therefore they are essentially worthless ...

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, No_0ne said:

Not really.  When's the last time you saw anybody looking for one of these?  There have been hundreds of millions of these old TV's scrapped in the last 20 years or so, and many of them were not capable of receiving the digital signals of today.  It's roughly analogous to the old analog telephones, millions were made and they have no use today, therefore they are essentially worthless ...

The basic materials they are composed of can all be recycled.

45 minutes ago, Garufa said:

The basic materials they are composed of can all be recycled.

Thus, "essentially".  Not much value in the materials of a single TV, or phone.  Commercial recyclers operate on massive volumes of electronic scrap, single units are, as noted, "essentially worthless" ...

1 hour ago, Ronald_55 said:

I had someone tell me they just drove around a bit until they found a unsecured dumpster that was not watched by security cams.....

I still have one of these in the basement. Still works and no need to replace it since that tv rarely gets used. 

I enjoy history, and reading about archeological digs, what they're turning up, and what that tells them about the society and sometimes even the individual people they're studying.

In 1,000 years, they're going to discover the home of someone who's obviously very high status judging by the fact that he had a basement, and the only local example of this big heavy shiny thing that obviously required lots of skill to create and seems to have served no practical purpose. However, it may have had some religious significance, since it was inscribed with a lightning bolt and the word "Zenith".

😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
21 hours ago, TripleGGG said:

Dumpster at my office complex.....:rock:

Be aware that your business can get fined for that.  Ours did for having household trash in the dumpster, which prompted cameras. We are required to have a separate service to dispose of electronic waste.  

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, peejman said:

Be aware that your business can get fined for that.  Ours did for having household trash in the dumpster, which prompted cameras. We are required to have a separate service to dispose of electronic waste.  

I asked before we did it. Actually was a couple office TVs. Landlord said no problem. 

• Like 1

Put it on the curb with a for sale $25 on it and somebody will steal it. If that doesn't work find a neighbor that has a pickup and gift him with it around midnight. You could raffle it off, just don't give all the details of the set. Like 25" T.V.  Raffle $1 each, drawing on Saturday, winner MUST pickup by Saturday 6pm. LOL!!!

• Haha 1