Jump to content
The Legion

"Breaking News" Kobe Bryant Killed in Helicopter Crash

Recommended Posts

And it's being reported he was on the way to a travel basketball game with his daughter on the helicopter, as well as another player/parent combo.  So sad for both of their families and the pilot's family. 

Edited by btq96r

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now saying 9 dead.

No mention of another player but that would be even more terrible 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FUJIMO said:

Now saying 9 dead.

No mention of another player but that would be even more terrible 

How?  It's terrible when there is loss of life, no matter who it is.  Nothing against you personally, many people are the same way, but I get tired of holding celebrities higher than regular people when they die.

I'm not a Bball fan, but at least this wasn't one of those trouble making individuals we hear about in the news, and I'm sure we will be hearing about this the whole week if not longer.  I sure hate to hear his daughter was with him, it is sure to be  heartbreaking  for the mother..

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Omega said:

How?  It's terrible when there is loss of life, no matter who it is.  Nothing against you personally, many people are the same way, but I get tired of holding celebrities higher than regular people when they die.

I'm not a Bball fan, but at least this wasn't one of those trouble making individuals we hear about in the news, and I'm sure we will be hearing about this the whole week if not longer.  I sure hate to hear his daughter was with him, it is sure to be  heartbreaking  for the mother..

Answer to your how. Imagine if your son was a lower level player or a bench warmer and died in that crash with the God that was Kobe Bryant . For the record that was sarcasm and I am NOT a Bball fan nor a worshiper of celebrities.

Your son's death while equally as tragic and heartbreaking will be eclipsed and end up a mention in the back pages compared to the long story that will be the life and death of KB .

I'm in agreement with you @Omega. And while I'm sure I'll get flamed for this I'll go a step further and say that ol KB might still be around had he chosen a limo to the game instead of the ill fated chopper.  But that's the blessing and curse of having that kind of money and celebrity status. Hes not the first to die in private flight and wont be the last. It's the risk you take.

Edited by FUJIMO
GD autocorrect!
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes the the best thing to say is nothing at all. 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Omega said:

I'm not a Bball fan, but at least this wasn't one of those trouble making individuals we hear about in the news

Well except for that whole rape thing a few years ago that he paid to make go away. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

Well except for that whole rape thing a few years ago that he paid to make go away. 

Yea, had forgotten about that.  But I still think he was in the news less often than many of these other sports figures.  Even so, I'm sure none of the talking heads will care either way, they will just hold him up on a pedestal like all celebs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Omega said:

How?  It's terrible when there is loss of life, no matter who it is.  Nothing against you personally, many people are the same way, but I get tired of holding celebrities higher than regular people when they die.

I'm not a Bball fan, but at least this wasn't one of those trouble making individuals we hear about in the news, and I'm sure we will be hearing about this the whole week if not longer.  I sure hate to hear his daughter was with him, it is sure to be  heartbreaking  for the mother..

You misunderstood what he meant by "another player."   Kobe was taking his 13 year old daughter to one of her games.  So another player in this case is another 13 year old girl.   Not a celebrity.   Not someone rich and famous.   Just a girl who wanted to play ball and got in the wrong vehicle.   That's sad.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

You misunderstood what he meant by "another player."   Kobe was taking his 13 year old daughter to one of her games.  So another player in this case is another 13 year old girl.   Not a celebrity.   Not someone rich and famous.   Just a girl who wanted to play ball and got in the wrong vehicle.   That's sad.  

We know this now, but the statement was "No mention of another player but that would be even more terrible", which is what I was responding to.  None the less, sad, even sadder that the headlines seem to all mention "Kobe Bryant, his 13 yo daughter, and 7 others" as if the rest don't matter, which @FUJIMO was eluding to in the first place.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's starting to look like pilot error is likely. It looks like the pilot thought he was at a much higher altitude and visibility was poor. The last transmission before they drop off radar is ATC warning him he's too low.

A lot of aviation experts on Reddit are saying they shouldn't have been flying in those conditions.

 

 

Edited by Erik88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The news this morning stated that this particular Sikorsky helicopter was a designed to fly in zero visibility. Many aircraft do that. It sounds to me like a case of bad :poop: happens when instruments go wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, E4 No More said:

The news this morning stated that this particular Sikorsky helicopter was a designed to fly in zero visibility. Many aircraft do that. It sounds to me like a case of bad :poop: happens when instruments go wrong.

I agree. Of course, no one knows what happened and we are all guessing, until the NTSB tells us what happened. But they showed yesterday that the helicopter was flying at 150 knots, slowed to around 50 for awhile and then sped back up to 150 before crashing. They kept showing the crash site yesterday and I don’t know if it was all debris from the wreck, or if something was already there; but the debris field looked massive. It made he think the pilot flew into a hill at 150 knots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the challenges for pilots learning IFR (instrument- rather than vision-based flying) is actually learning to believe what the instruments, like an artificial horizon or altimeter, are telling you rather than what your body and intuition are telling you. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the equipment on this Sikorsky S-76 any pilot worth his salt could fly around in pea soup fog all day with no problem.  Something was wrong with the pilot, or the equipment, or (very unlikely) both.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ATC audio just released.  Really looks like the pilot completely messed up.  So sad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, QuackerSmacker said:

ATC audio just released.  Really looks like the pilot completely messed up.  So sad.

I already said this exact same thing hours ago and posted the audio...🤔

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prayers for all families involved.......

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imagine how great a place this would be if people thought half as much about the death of Jesus as they do this clown.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Imagine how great a place this would be if people thought half as much about the death of Jesus as they do this clown.

That would be great! One of my favorites from Jesus is Matthew 7:1-5.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TomInMN said:

That would be great! One of my favorites from Jesus is Matthew 7:1-5.

Cute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Imagine how great a place this would be if people thought half as much about the death of Jesus as they do this clown.


Some of us have Jesus in our heart always and still make room for other humans.  You know, as Jesus would want us to do.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t intend to offend anyone, but should have seen it coming. I just do not understand why our society elevates athletes, actors, etc. to sainthood status or beyond simply because they have a specific talent.

I’ve not seen it mentioned here that one of our planes went down in Afghanistan a few days ago. It was barely mentioned in the news. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I didn’t intend to offend anyone, but should have seen it coming. I just do not understand why our society elevates athletes, actors, etc. to sainthood status or beyond simply because they have a specific talent.

I’ve not seen it mentioned here that one of our planes went down in Afghanistan a few days ago. It was barely mentioned in the news. 

No one is elevating him to sainthood status. He was exceptional in his field and one of the few good role models for kids in the game. If that had been Jerry Miculek, Julie Golob, or even Shane Coley, it would have been talked about here (because they are exceptional in their field) but probably not on the news much.

When a few people are morning their loss; it won’t make national news. When hundreds of thousands are; it will.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

The Fine Print

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines