Memphis lawmaker proposes red flag legislation

https://wreg.com/2020/01/30/memphis-lawmaker-proposes-red-flag-legislation/

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — A Memphis senator has introduced a “red flag” bill for gun owners or those looking to purchase a gun.

The bill – sponsored by Senator Sara Kyle and Rep. Glorida Johnson (Knoxville) – would allow a judge to issue an emergency order of protection that would prevent a person from owning or buying a firearm if they pose “an imminent risk of harm” to themselves or others.

The emergency order would only be temporary. Thirty days after the initial order is issued, a hearing will be held to determine if the judge should extend the order or dissolve it. If there is still a threat, the order can be extended for no more than a year.

Seventeen other states and the District of Columbia all have similiar legislation, WKRN reported.

2 minutes ago, The Legion said:

https://wreg.com/2020/01/30/memphis-lawmaker-proposes-red-flag-legislation/

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — A Memphis senator has introduced a “red flag” bill for gun owners or those looking to purchase a gun.

The bill – sponsored by Senator Sara Kyle and Rep. Gloria Johnson (Knoxville) – would allow a judge to issue an emergency order of protection that would prevent a person from owning or buying a firearm if they pose “an imminent risk of harm” to themselves or others.

The emergency order would only be temporary. Thirty days after the initial order is issued, a hearing will be held to determine if the judge should extend the order or dissolve it. If there is still a threat, the order can be extended for no more than a year.

Seventeen other states and the District of Columbia all have similiar legislation, WKRN reported.

That biotch has had her fat nose in anything "girl power" recently. I'm sure this is tied to that somehow.

• Haha 2
5 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Just to start the discussion:  anyone who says “it will never happen here” is going to wake up one day to a big surprise.  

Carry on.

I think we (and every other state) will have some form of Red Flag Laws. I would bet money on it.

8 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Just to start the discussion:  anyone who says “it will never happen here” is going to wake up one day to a big surprise.  

Carry on.

I guess I'll contact my county commission and get some red flag sanctuary talk going lol.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

I guess I'll contact my county commission and get some red flag sanctuary talk going lol.

When it comes to Red Flag issues; suicide threats, violence, etc. Sanctuary talks will be irrelevant. I’m sure they will explain to the Officers and Deputies that if they refuse to follow state law, not only will the Department be held liable, but the individual Officers will be held civilly liable, and possibly criminally liable in a wrongful death case. No one will continue on that path.

It's one thing to not arrest someone for a criminal weapons violation. It’s something very different to refuse to act on a suicide threat or a violence threat being reported by family members or friends.

I wasn’t a LEO in Tennessee, but it appears to me they don’t need any new laws to do whatever they like as far as taking guns when a threat is made. I would think the democrats and the anti’s would want to leave things the way they are.

• Haha 1

They can already take your guns in the state of Tennessee-I know a neighbor that recently had his firearms taken by Shelby County Sheriffs office-his sister called them because she thought her brother was a danger to himself.

He got to spend several days in Lakeside for her efforts including his guns taken.

Why in the world would we need more of the same-Democrats enriching our lives again-NOT

12 minutes ago, krunchnik said:

They can already take your guns in the state of Tennessee-I know a neighbor that recently had his firearms taken by Shelby County Sheriffs office-his sister called them because she thought her brother was a danger to himself.

He got to spend several days in Lakeside for her efforts including his guns taken.

Why in the world would we need more of the same-Democrats enriching our lives again-NOT

It's been discussed on here on several occasions about current state laws pertaining to firearms removal from households where they may harm those that live there. 

THIS is so far from that its ridiculous 

14 hours ago, krunchnik said:

That’s what I have said many times, including the post above. Just blowing up at the term “Red Flag Law” is silly. If people want due process for someone accused of threatening violence or suicide; the law is the only place those standards can come from. Those changes (if there are any) will be called “Red Flag Laws”.

If you are accused by someone of a criminal act; your guns can legally be seized as evidence. The laws in place for the handling of evidence will determine, if, and when you get your guns back. "Red Flag" does not apply.

People calling the Police for help with a family member that has mental problems is something different. We live in different times. Cops are not going to leave that person with access to guns if others have expressed concerns about that. If something happens; they will sue the Police Department and probably the individual Officer. And in this day and age they will win; especially if a mass shooting takes place due to the cops inaction.

I suggest that due process be built into the laws. The time for going before a Judge should be timed in hours; not months. A Judge should have to sign off on the seizure withing a reasonable time; or the weapons should be returned.

As I said, I’m surprised the Dems are pushing this, they don’t need it, they have free rein to seize whatever they like now.