Will I get a ticket?

ShaggyRS6

Driving in i40 my lazer detector went off but I don’t think I slowed down enough. Nobody came after me, do TN send tickets in post ? They obviously go me from the front so no license plate. Just wondering if there is any gang dangle technology !! This was in Wilson.

12 minutes ago, ShaggyRS6 said:

What i did notice is on WAZE, there were 3 cops ahead of him, but i pulled off before i got to them. So i am assuming he may have radioed ahead but I never showed up :D

Was this west of Nashville by any chance?  Dickson County is well known for owning that stretch of I-40. I’m always on high alert around there.

I know the THP out this way, you got "caught" and slowed down. My advice it to not go over 75 on the interstate. Do not go over 5 plus posted in Mt Juliet, you will get a ticket! Also any street that is not posted with speed limit sign, the speed limit is 25 MPH.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Is that confirmed? I've read several conflicting opinions on this.

I am not a lawyer, so I can’t provide reset it is legal advice. What I can say is this, I have a CDL. My livelihood depends on protecting that CDL and I will not pay a ticket that was not handed to me by a live human being in the state of Tennessee.

• Like 1

I spent five years as a master RADAR and LiDAR Instructor. 

First, I do not know of any laser speed measurement devices that are used with speed cameras. I am not going into details because it’s lengthy but it just wouldn’t work well.  Most of the speed cameras are not even radar but measure points; the time it calculates for a vehicle to travel between points. These points are often 20’ and depend on light to cast shadows. It’s strange but it works very well. That’s why some radar detectors do not alert to speed cameras; they aren’t radar. 

Its been eight years since I worked at a department with speed cameras, but here is how it worked with our department.  At the end of the day we viewed the recorded violations and deleted any false, questionable, or unwanted violations. We, certified officers, signed off on each violation that we wanted to mail a citation.  We mailed the recording to a private company who downloaded the violations onto an internet link.  The company mailed the violations to the offenders via certified mail.  It provided a picture along with a link to view the violation in real-time. It stated your options. 1. Pay $50 and it will be dealt with as civil and not points or insurance reporting. 2. Appear on the mandatory court date provided. The disclaimer was payments not received in X amount of days would require a mandatory court appearance. Failure to appear on the mandatory court date could result in a FTA and a revoked drivers license.  They did revoke some license for failure to appear but some they did not for various reasons. I don’t really know most of the reasons.

I was in court one day and a woman came in who said she committed the violation but couldn’t pay or wouldn’t pay.  The city attorney said there wasn’t a thing the city could do.  She appeared, but refused to pay.

4 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Is that confirmed? I've read several conflicting opinions on this.

According to the Tennessee Code it is.  I've been throwing mine in the trash for years, typically I can recognize one by the envelope and address they send them in and I just toss them unopened ...

• Like 1
8 hours ago, No_0ne said:

According to the Tennessee Code it is.  I've been throwing mine in the trash for years, typically I can recognize one by the envelope and address they send them in and I just toss them unopened ...

Got a link to said code? I'd like to read it.

8 hours ago, No_0ne said:

I'll trust though your experience that you are correct.  I've only gotten one and that was 10 years ago.  The documentation that was sent with the fine started that my license would be revoked if I didn't pay.  I researched everything that I could find at the time to get out of it, but wasn't successful in doing so.  I wasn't about to test the system and potentially loose my license over $50.  Back in those days I had the $50, but didn't have the funds to fight the ticket or get my license reinstated had it been revoked. 

13 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Not unless you ran a red light. I don’t recall any red lights on I-40.

They aren't needed, traffic comes to a complete standstill on it's own.  I don't understand how going West in the mornings into Nashville traffic will come to a complete stop for 1-2 minutes then pick right back up again and run 60-80mph for absolutely no reason.  

13 hours ago, RED333 said:

I know the THP out this way, you got "caught" and slowed down. My advice it to not go over 75 on the interstate. Do not go over 5 plus posted in Mt Juliet, you will get a ticket! Also any street that is not posted with speed limit sign, the speed limit is 25 MPH.

When I was a cop anything under 10 MPH over the speed limit was considered a chicken :poop:  ticket.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Grunt67 said:

I go thru spots on different highways that put off a radar signal on my detector, out in the middle of nowhere sometimes, no one around, no place to hide. Alarm system, maybe, no idea, just happens. I ignore it.

A radar wave can transmit for miles. While unlikely, some areas will have radar drones, and not the flying kind, but these transmit a radar signal for various reasons.  Sometimes the reason is to just give a false alarm.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
Just now, Patton said:

A radar wave can transmit for miles. While unlikely, some areas will have radar drones, and not the flying kind, but these transmit a radar signal for various reasons.  Sometimes the reason is to just give a false alarm.

This is actually a policing tactic I can get behind because the intent is obvious in just trying to get folks who are utilizing a fuzz buster to slow down. Same thing with the employment of empty cruisers in conspicuous places. It places a priority on encouraging safer, slower driving over revenue generation. I like it. 👍

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

This is actually a policing tactic I can get behind because the intent is obvious in just trying to get folks who are utilizing a fuzz buster to slow down. Same thing with the employment of empty cruisers in conspicuous places. It places a priority on encouraging safer, slower driving over revenue generation. I like it. 👍

Indeed. Is the goal to make travel safer, or generate revenue?  

• Like 1